Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #1

Debris under sink

My HT 5th wheel has an island, and after we’ve been travelling, there is always sand and dirt on the bottom under the sink. Could this be road debris? I can’t see any entry point under the sink.
irmapeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #2

Not quite sure 'on the bottom under the sink' means..
...on the outside surface, underneath the sink near the sink drain connection?
...on a shelf under the sink?
...on the floor under the sink?

When not traveling, have you noticed any water leaks in that area?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #3

Maybe when factory installed sink it had some dried mud ect on or around the sink!Hopefully it will eventually all fall off. Better keep shop vac handy.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #4

How new is you 5ver? Our tt when new had spots that all the construction debris seamed to like to vibrate to. After cleaning it up, after few trips, it was mostly gone.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:25 PM   #5

The sand is on the floor under the sink. I clean it up, and after a day on the road, there’s more. My husband took the bottom drawer out, and there is a hole where wires and a drain pipe are located. I tucked a rag around the open space around the wires and drain to see if the debris is being blown up from the road. Short of crawling under the rv (we’re pretty old) I can’t tell if there is an opening on the bottom of the trailer.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:54 AM   #6

It is always a good (mandatory?) idea to fill all holes from the outside to prevent mice getting in. That being said, lots of good ideas, copper, stainless, aluminum screen wire, etc. around incoming pipes held in place with silicone or foamed in place. I use aluminum screen wire held in place with foam from both bottom and top.

If you are in Florida or have been there a pest called dry wood termites also can get into wood and they make waste that kind of looks like sand or grit. Pest control by a professional is a must, sooner than later.

Seal it up!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:58 AM   #7

Which model? New or used?

Ours had debris under the sink as well (not an island) for a few trips. Most was just very fine sawdust looking stuff.

When we got ours I went around to all the floor penetrations and used expanding foam to seal them. I also checked under the rig frequently to see if there were any holes in the sealed underlayer. Jayco did a good job on mine sealing any hole on the bottom of the rig and I never noticed any open areas.

If it is a used rig you might want to check for small leaks in the water connections and drain lines. When water leaks and dries out it forms a crud that feels like sand when it comes off. The Jayco assembly team was not very good about tightening the kitchen water and drain connections
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #8

Good advice. The 5th wheel was purchased new and is still on warranty. When we get back from our trip I will ask the dealer to seal up the penetration and check the underside. I did see one mouse turd there.