Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2024, 05:39 PM   #1

Angry Defective slides???

We purchased a USED 2020 317RLOK FROM a dealer 2 years ago. We did not buy an extended warranty. We have had trouble with the bedroom slide since our second outing. We’ve taken it in to be repaired. Each time it works for a short time and then quits working so we take it back in.
The dealership sold and we continue to have difficulty with the bedroom and now the kitchen slide. We have had it repaired a total of 7 times now, sometimes out of town and paid “out of pocket”. It is in the shop for the 8th time as I type this.
The slides go out but will not retract. I have to “walk them in” by pushing extend, stop, retract, stop over and over again which takes a considerable amount of time.
Camping is no longer FUN! Other than selling the trailer, which we love, and giving someone else the problem, what can we do.
They have cleaned the tracks and used silicone, cleaned and used graphite, replaced a slide motor and several other “fixes” only to work
For a short time and then not retract again.
Any help, suggestions would be extremely appreciated.
patrickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 05:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickj View Post
We purchased a USED 2020 317RLOK FROM a dealer 2 years ago. We did not buy an extended warranty. We have had trouble with the bedroom slide since our second outing. We’ve taken it in to be repaired. Each time it works for a short time and then quits working so we take it back in.
The dealership sold and we continue to have difficulty with the bedroom and now the kitchen slide. We have had it repaired a total of 7 times now, sometimes out of town and paid “out of pocket”. It is in the shop for the 8th time as I type this.
The slides go out but will not retract. I have to “walk them in” by pushing extend, stop, retract, stop over and over again which takes a considerable amount of time.
Camping is no longer FUN! Other than selling the trailer, which we love, and giving someone else the problem, what can we do.
They have cleaned the tracks and used silicone, cleaned and used graphite, replaced a slide motor and several other “fixes” only to work
For a short time and then not retract again.
Any help, suggestions would be extremely appreciated.
What kind of slide systems are they? Cable, schwentec, hydraulic?

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 06:45 PM   #3

Are you plugged into shore power? Sometimes the batteries need a boost to bring the slides in.
Old 06-02-2024, 08:40 AM   #4

Yes plugged into 50 amp
Old 06-02-2024, 08:41 AM   #5

Schwintek
Old 06-02-2024, 09:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickj View Post
Schwintek
Have you contacted Lippert? It's obvious your dealer is missing something.
Old 06-02-2024, 09:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Have you contacted Lippert? It's obvious your dealer is missing something.
I know nothing of slides except for the few things I've read/watched. Schwintek motors are 'smart' in that they will give error codes with blinking lights or something of that nature?

The problem sounds not mechanical, but more technical.
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 10:11 AM   #8

Thank you
Old 06-02-2024, 01:11 PM   #9

Definitely contact Lippert.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 03:03 PM   #10

Thank you I will do that.
Old 06-19-2024, 12:34 PM   #11

Go on to Youtube and watch the videos that Darren puts up. He's a wizard with this stuff, particularly the Schwintek slides. I've never met him but I've watched just about all of his videos which helped me greatly increase my knowledge of the slide systems. https://www.youtube.com/@MyRVWorks
Captain Skip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 02:16 PM   #12

I also have a 2020 317RLOK and had a slide issue with kitchen and bedroom last year. They are both Schwintec and my problem ended up being the pigtail wire under the kitchen was kinked in the harness. Pulled tape of and replaced it and it has worked fine ever since. It would just randomly quit for no reason. Not sure this is your issue, but worth a shot.
Greg Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 03:33 PM   #13

Thanks, I hope it might be that simple! Appreciate your advice.
Old 06-19-2024, 04:30 PM   #14

Our unit is a 2015 37FS that we bought from the original owner. We had small problems with the Schwintek slide for a couple of years but a couple of years ago it wouldn't come in and we had to manually push it in and ended up with the top in all of the way but the bottom was still out about 4 or 5 inches. We finally scheduled an appointment with Vroom in Arizona to have the mechanical system replaced. We haven't had a problem since.
CatheyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 10:22 AM   #15

Find the controller for the bedroom slide to start and look to see how many red flashes.
If the slide stops completely, there is a reset button and its tiny next to the flashing leds.
I use the end of a small thin paint by number paint brush (dull and round). Press the button 6 times and hold on the 7th until the LED's flash together - resets the controller. Then try and retract. Those slides cannot have any extra weight on the bed - none except the bed, pillows, and covers - that sensitive. Yes you may have to extend, retract, extend, and retract to get the motors synched. The same way with the kitchen slide. Also, check the harness connections on the floor of the bed slide. One motor on our kitchen slide a wire actually broke at the connection.
Edutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 01:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edutron View Post
Those slides cannot have any extra weight on the bed - none except the bed, pillows, and covers - that sensitive. .
Schwintek slides aren’t the best, but they’re not *that* fragile. On a small slide like the master bedroom, they’re capable.

Think about how much stuff people keep in the storage area under the bed, and how much more a nice mattress weighs vs the crappy one that comes from the factory.

If your slide is that sensitive to a few items on the bed, you’re probably on borrowed time before whatever is on its way out finally exits.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 02:52 PM   #17

Our 2020 32RLTS has Schwintek for the bedroom slide and Slimrack for the kitchen. I would think the op's does also.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
317rlok, defective slides, slides not retracting