Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #1

Delamination

I hope everyone is enjoying this wonderful Summer. I know I am.. It's been several months since I've posted but I recently came across a problem and I'm searching for some advice.

I have a 2006 Jayco JayFlight 5'er that I've taken care of extremely well. I've never had a single problem with anything on the unit. It literally looks the same as the day I pulled it off the dealer lot. Over the past 7 months or so I've noticed a slight bubble along the back top corner of the unit that started near the roof and has slowly worked down to the the bottom corner of the rig right along the corner seam. It appears that the fiber glass coating is delaminating from the wall. I called the dealer and he thinks the problem is just due to either age (the glue/epoxy broke down over time) or more likely a water leak issue. I've always checked the roof and applied self-leveling caulk wherever I thought the caulk was breaking down but we all no that water simply just finds a place to go regardless of how well you try to guard against it.. The wood underneath does not appear to be swelling like I've had on previous campers that leaked. So..... I don't know if the problem is just a breakdown of the glue/epoxy or if I have a leak.

The dealer said that on a very rare occasion they could be able to repair the delamination but probably not and that Jayco would have to get involved at the factory level.. He said they may offer some type of warranty..

Does anyone have any advice on this ? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks !!

2006 Jayco JayFlight 27.5 BHS
03 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
HippieCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #2

On an 06 I would be suprised if Jayco does anything. I would guess it's a leak.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #3

If it is delamination, that is a major problem. From what I've read, there is just not a perfect solution to fixing it; it can cost a lot of money. I ran across this thread on another forum that discusses the isssue, along with some repair suggestions. Sadly, I agree with clutch that Jayco is unlikely to do anything to help, although you checked your roof and made repairs as needed; it is, after all, their design that is leaking. Good luck, and let us know what happens.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
If it is delamination, that is a major problem. From what I've read, there is just not a perfect solution to fixing it; it can cost a lot of money. I ran across this thread on another forum that discusses the isssue, along with some repair suggestions. Sadly, I agree with clutch that Jayco is unlikely to do anything to help, although you checked your roof and made repairs as needed; it is, after all, their design that is leaking. Good luck, and let us know what happens.
Thanks to you both for the comments. I did send an email to Jayco explaining the situation. Just waiting for a reply. I guess the big question is (depending on how much the repair would cost) do I trade up and get some money out of a perfectly awesome camper that we're all happy with or bite the bullet and dump money into it.

2006 Jayco JayFlight 27.5 BHS
03 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
HippieCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #5

HippieCamper,
Did you get a reply from Jayco? I have a great 2001 23k Kiwi that has 4 areas to repair and would like to hear their response. I've read threads suggesting the use of expanding foam, finish resin injection and even cutting out the "bubble". I'm pretty handy with wood and even fiberglass, but before I start into this I would like their take. Good luck.

Jim, Jean, 2 dogs and 2 cats.
jeanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #6

I doubt it's the glue coming apart. The corners of an RV flex the most. Water can seep in the tiniest crack. Most delamination I have seen in the trailers I have owned is always from the roof. Leaking there & crawling down the wall. Dealamination takes time & it sounds like the luan plywood has started to rot underneath causing the bubble. One fix if your up to is to remove any trim top, bottom & sides so you can peel the fibreglass or filon back to expose the wood. With a little care it can be repaired this way. Or you can cut the siding top to bottom past where it feels mushy. They sell the siding mounted on the plywood. Replace any rotten frame pieces stick the siding back on. Patch the siding with fibreglass & a good marine painter with gelcoat can match your patch. I know this is a simplified explanation but its not as hard as every one thinks. Look at the temporary patch I put on mine. The only difference would be glassing the two pieces together & painting them to match. I did this over a weekend. I also have a lot more to remove this winter.
b1mmuo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1mmuo27 View Post
I doubt it's the glue coming apart. The corners of an RV flex the most. Water can seep in the tiniest crack. Most delamination I have seen in the trailers I have owned is always from the roof. Leaking there & crawling down the wall. Dealamination takes time & it sounds like the luan plywood has started to rot underneath causing the bubble. One fix if your up to is to remove any trim top, bottom & sides so you can peel the fibreglass or filon back to expose the wood. With a little care it can be repaired this way. Or you can cut the siding top to bottom past where it feels mushy. They sell the siding mounted on the plywood. Replace any rotten frame pieces stick the siding back on. Patch the siding with fibreglass & a good marine painter with gelcoat can match your patch. I know this is a simplified explanation but its not as hard as every one thinks. Look at the temporary patch I put on mine. The only difference would be glassing the two pieces together & painting them to match. I did this over a weekend. I also have a lot more to remove this winter.
Where can you purchase the sidewalls already mounted on the panels ?
Zbig is offline   Reply With Quote