Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2018, 08:40 PM   #1

Departing RV life

Well, our short experiment in RV life is over.

Lost of things here, but, bottom line is we bought a house, sold the truck and trailer and are back to the 'stick and brick' life. Biggest issue in this decision is our hobbies are not compatible with RV living. We thought we had it figured out, but, we didn't.

We sold the trailer to a nice young couple who are going to live in it while he works in the Midland TX area. They got a good deal and we got to see the trailer go to someone who will love it like we did. Note: their bank valued our fiver just over $28k, based on NADA low number. That was not what we sold for, but, it does affect what people can afford to pay when buying from a private party and financing the purchase.

Glad to have had the folks on this forum to help when things would go wrong (or right ). Nice to converse with many of you and hope your travels are smooth and troubles few.

thanks
charlie
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:45 PM   #2

Godspeed.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #3

Enjoy your stick and brick life , but remember the roads are still out there if you change your minds.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:56 PM   #4

Yeah, maybe you'll make another u-turn down the trail...

Be well Charlie.

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:52 AM   #5
Site Team

Enjoy your new experience and thanks for your participation in JOF.

Check in from time to time for a camping fix!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:20 AM   #6

Glad you enjoyed when you did. Many folks leave the lifestyle and come back - Hope to still hear from you from time to time...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:24 AM   #7

Always sorry to see someone leave, but life takes us up many paths. Thanks for your contributions and good luck in your new venture. There are all kinds of forums for homeowners .
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:44 AM   #8

My hobbies don't work with RV life either. I mess around with cars (81 Z28 currently). We spend summers in a house and winters on the road.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:20 AM   #9

Thanks to all. Yeah, at some point we may go for weekend camping but for now we will remain hotel travellers.

Wife's hobbies are quilting and weaving (we have three sewing machines and two looms). Mine are model airplanes, shooting (longer ranges along with muzzleloading and reloading) and fishing (and fly tying). If we only had one each we could fit it in the RV, but, when you add more and then try to both enjoy them at the same time it is tough.

Will watch for you Jayco types out on the road!
Old 09-27-2018, 09:24 AM   #10

What works for some doesn't work for others. At least you gave it a try and not left to wonder if the RV life might have been for you.

My hobbies are language study, music (flute) and riding my motorcycle. My wife's hobby is reading (a book a week). These don't need a lot of space and can be done anywhere so the RV living (part-time for now) is conducive to the hobbies we enjoy. At this point I can't take my motorcycle with me but if I get really disparate I can always rent one.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
Mine are model airplanes
I have not flown RC since my son was born about 3 years ago. I used to race out in Sacramento, CA. I do miss the hobby some but time with my son is more important to me, I hope to be able to return when he is older. Since he was born I have spent more time modeling railroads, given my lack of home time due to work I don't get much done either. The rest are just pipe dreams

Enjoy.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:01 AM   #12

We need a little of both the camper and the stick and brick!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:54 AM   #13

Yes, we are very happy that we did the full time thing. It was something we had thought about for many years and do not regret it a bit.

I had a motorcycle for many years. It was my commute transportation as well as longer rides (week or two tent camping). When we first considered full time we were going to get a toyhauler and bring the bike. Several things caused me to stop riding (two being near death incidents) so we then opted for the bunkhouse layout. No regrets and I don't miss riding. I also do not miss tent camping.

The RC airplane thing is one that caught me by surprise. I used to be able to go to just about any park or soccer field and fly. Not anymore. The drone craze has caused most cities to shut down RC stuff in all but established flying fields/tracks, and, those fields are usually well away from wherever we are at the time. People are also instantly angered if they see something flying and are not shy about expressing their anger.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Yes, we are very happy that we did the full time thing. It was something we had thought about for many years and do not regret it a bit.

I had a motorcycle for many years. It was my commute transportation as well as longer rides (week or two tent camping). When we first considered full time we were going to get a toyhauler and bring the bike. Several things caused me to stop riding (two being near death incidents) so we then opted for the bunkhouse layout. No regrets and I don't miss riding. I also do not miss tent camping.

The RC airplane thing is one that caught me by surprise. I used to be able to go to just about any park or soccer field and fly. Not anymore. The drone craze has caused most cities to shut down RC stuff in all but established flying fields/tracks, and, those fields are usually well away from wherever we are at the time. People are also instantly angered if they see something flying and are not shy about expressing their anger.
I quit riding a few years ago when I decided there were too many lousy drivers on the road hell bent on killing me. I miss the freedom of being out on a bike but not the worry about people not seeing me. I know a number of crash survivors and some who didn't.

People seem to think their privacy is being invaded by drones watching them yet they happily put all their info out on the internet for everyone to read. I have a drone that I fly when we travel and around home. Much easier than the RC copter I had. There's a nice RC park in Quartzsite.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:47 AM   #15

Yep, people are funny that way.

Two reasons we settled in Las Cruces (besides family) is they have a great public shooting range (out to 1000m) and there is also a nice city managed RC flying field. Combined with decent fishing within a couple of hours and it is a great place for me.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #16

Quote:

Two reasons we settled in Las Cruces (besides family) is they have a great public shooting range (out to 1000m) and there is also a nice city managed RC flying field. Combined with decent fishing within a couple of hours and it is a great place for me.
Las Cruces is a nice place to hang out. We spent a week and a bit boondocking up at the Sierra Vista TH last winter. Visited the old area in town for dinner a couple of times.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:44 PM   #17

It can be. Some consider it a boring town with not much of the elite entertainment around, but, we like it. I do miss the bigger cities every now and then, but, then we take a couple day trip to Tucson, Albuquerque or Phoenix. I just don't like living in those towns.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:11 PM   #18

We did Rving for 6 years in a class C, then a Vegas. Decided to end it. Fast forward a year. We missed it and bought a hummingbird and now we do state park weekend trips. Easy and fun.

Geno
GenoJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:46 PM   #19

Quote:

Did he say FISHING?
Old 10-03-2018, 03:38 PM   #20

Wish you guys well!

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote