Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2020, 08:50 PM   #1

Depreciation of Fifth Wheels

My husband and I live in Ky. and we have a 2019 Jayco Fifth Wheel and, as we all know, they all depreciate when we drive them off the lot. We need to know if anyone has any figures on the depreciation of campers yearly with
I.R.S. or otherwise that we can use to get our assessment lowered. We paid over $500 last year to put tags on and, right now, it's $450 this year. In Ky., we have to pay taxes yearly, when we get our tags. Not all States have to do that. #TaglessInKy
Deblew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:04 PM   #2
Site Team

I'm not really sure if there's an actual depreciation table for RVs. Perhaps your tax consultant/financial planner has something for that. An online guide for values is the NADA.

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs

You can fill in the info for the year, make, model, and equipment/options on it, and get an idea of it's value. Keep in mind, it's only a guide, and pricing can vary for dealer and private sellers in your area. I hope this helps.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:56 AM   #3

Thank you. I’ll check it out
Old 05-19-2020, 10:18 AM   #4

I have no idea on what Kentucky bases their values on but here in Colorado the ownership tax that we have to pay yearly is based on a percentage of MSRP (cant remember but it is along the lines of 75 or 80% of MSRP not what you paid for it) and then the tax rate is applied to that value (starts out at 2% then graduates down as the years go by).
This is in addition to the original sales tax which is based on what you paid for it (for us that is 7.9%), and then you have the other licensing fees also paid yearly for your tags. I know the first renewal was over 900.00 including the annual owners tax and other license fees. Now it is down around 500.00 a year. and am expecting 400ish this year. By year 10 (age of vehicle) your ownership tax bottoms out, it is still there but is as low as it will ever get. If we were to sell the trailer the new owner would still pay sales tax but the ownership tax would not start out again at 2% as it is based on the age of the trailer/vehicle.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:56 AM   #5

Thx for the info. I guess some States are just Blessed with paying taxes every year. In Ohio, you pay them once and that’s it. If Ohio can do it, you would think the remaining States could do the same