Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #1

Designer in the Dealers Shop Again

Well Sept. we went out of warranty. We we had a flat entering Illinois no problem. Well checked the tire and the belts a showing. Thought maybe I better have the axles checked for True. Yesterday I go the call that the whole running gear is worn out. WHAT ??? Today I went to my Dealer I had words with my Designer. Ok I was kidding, well I looked at the pictures. The tech as me if I was out 4 wheeling with the Designer. He got The Look !! I asked if most people take their $ 70 K rigs 4 wheeling Goof !!! Well here I sit waiting for the factory to decide what to do.

I did call Mor/Ryd for a 4 wheel indepent suspension with dis brakes. The price is $ 5500.00 installed then 4 new tires and off to Texas. Well the plan don't look good for the winter. I guess it could be worst wait it Snowed here yesterday.
We just don't know if it's time to upgrade, wait the Designer is only two years old, and only 10,000 miles.
Http://yogi154.blogspot.com/
yogi154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #2

Keep us posted on the outcome. At that rate we only have about 7500 miles left to go on ours. Not good.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #3

Today i sent off a long letter to Jayco about all my problems. Will let everyone know What's Up !!!
Old 11-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #4

I checked on Mor/Ryde and one of the owner manuals I saw said their suspension systems carry a 5 year, 50,000 mile warranty. I would get a list of everything that's been "4 wheeled" (just kidding!) and then contact Mor/Ryde, who I bet will ultimately cover the problem if it's a warranty issue within the warranty period.

It just doesn't sound right to me that the "whole running system" could be worn out. I could see various parts going bad, but the whole thing? Come on,now!

Bill
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #5

Talked to the Dealer today. Wow seames like the Pass the Buck is starting. Mor-Ryde is saying the rubber block system is OK. The shackles are worn along with the axels. They will call Jayco and then go after Dexter axles.
The good part (?) if any thing is good. Carra our the warranty girl at my dealer is the Best as she is pushing this deal for our Winter date of Dec 12 to leave for Texas.

Well That's All Folks

We did look at a Mobile Suite today too.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #6

Here'z my letter to Jayco

I own a 2010 Jayco Designer 37 RLQS

We took delivery of the unit on September 14 2009.

We ordered our unit built for our needs with all the extras and everything has been Fine. We have had some warranty issues but not many. We use our rig to see America and have Less than 10,000 miles with No issues towing. Well on our last outing we were out for a month. Driving in Illinois we got an alarm from our Pressure Pro Air Monitoring System. We got off the road safely we still had 40 PSI in the tire. Well the Goodyear Marathons (China made) were showing steel belts.

I checked for tire wear which seamed uneven I took the Designer back to have my Dealer check for an alignment check. Campland along with their staff have been a pleasure to work with from our sales person Laura, to all the service dept staff.

Well to my surprise Campland RV informed me the under structure was worn out. I question How an upper line unit Jayco’s top of the line unit have this type of wear with Less than 10,000 miles and be just two years old. I thought when we bought a Designer we bought the Best!! We had the flat tire but luckily Campland RV discovered the condition of our Chassis. This could have been a catastrophic problem as our upcoming travels include a trip to Texas for the winter and Alaska in the summer. The sad part of all this is we are 39 days out of warranty. We are wondering if are winter plans to leave for Texas, for the winter are over??

I’m not complaining about the flat but the Steel Belt break down is the problem and the talk of a worn out chassis on a Two year old Designer is a Major problem. I know Jayco’s standards are a lot higher than that.

We attended a rally in September and had our rig weighted with a separate wheel weight all weight was with in tolerances.

Right Side Trailer Tire Weight Front Axle 2,675 lbs Rear Axle 2,600 lbs

Total Axle Weights 5,625 lbs Front Axle 5,700 lbs Rear Axles rated at 6,800 lbs each

Left Side Trailer Tire Weight Front Axle 2,950 lbs Rear Axle 3,100 lbs tire with problem

Tires Max rated at 3460 @80 psi.

Gross weight of trailer 14,650 lbs GVWR Trailer 15,800

We are owners in our Early Sixty’s we don’t abuse the Designer as that’s our Baby.

Your help in this matter is needed.

Thank You
Old 11-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #7

Mine is still in the shop waiting parts from Jayco. They were ordered a month ago. We are freezing while our site in Ft Myers is empty. The dealer has been helpful but can't get Jayco to move faster. Adding your issue to my knowledge base along with others is really eliminating Jayco from my replacement possibilities list... Still can't get a cover for the IOTA IDP 12 fuse panel or a lens for the Sunray 816 lights...

2003 Designer Legacy 3590RLTS
2011 Bullet 215RBS - Sold
2010 F250SD PSD SRW CC SB
Timbrens, Rand McNally 7710RVND and
Pullrite SuperGlide 2700.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #8

Well I'm happy to say well so far looks like Jayco will be paying for the repairs. I talked to the tech guy'z in customer service at Jayco today. Then I talked to the dealer warranty girl. Carra the warranty Wonder Worker is pushing them for new axles, shackles and new wheels,tires. I would rather have the new Made in America tires. I did find BFG with the right load rating of Full Load Range of 3450 @ 80 PSI for $ 225 a tire.

I was told that the axles were arched one up and the other down. not good as they are both supposed to be arched up. Some one Goofed !!!

Ducky try to Push your Dealer and call Jayco for your parts. My dealer has been pushing Jayco Big Time !!! My girl told Jayco I have to roll by Dec. 6th

Well so far I'm still in Love with my Designer well we did look at a Elite Suite but that was $ 146 K
Old 11-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #9

My above post is really wrong !!! Today I called Dexter Axles the will furnish me a New Axle No Cost. Jayco finally called me to say they would pay for one hour for axle Remove and Replace as a Good Will Jesture. WOW just 39 days out of Warranty I thought I would get better than this. I guess the Rosey picture for Jayco's Quality is Gone. I'm stuck driving to Elkhart In. to pick-up the axle and a set of new tires plus the Labor for the rest of the job. I can Honestly say I'm pretty unhappy with Randy at Jayco Customer Service. I now have a call into his Boss. I never thought this would be that hard. I feel like I'm dealing with Forest River again.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #10

Yogi, we are still waiting on an $1133 refund from the brakes being full of grease from the factory. It has been over 60 days now and no refund. We were notified by the dealer that fixed it that Jayco had approved the repair. That was about a week after we paid to get it fixed so we could continue our trip. I will wait one more week and then place some calls.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #11

OK Catch this I posted on Face Book that I was waiting for a call on my Designer. The post was What are you Happy about for Thanksgiving ?? I said I would be Happy to hear from Jayco. FB posted back to say customer service called me and got my V M.
Well I guess there is someone on the other side of the curtian.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #12

Push

Yogi,
I'm pushing and the dealer is trying as well. They now say the parts shipped on the 21st via truck freight... lets see, one day to the terminal. 2 days parked waiting for transfer.. oh oh, its Turkey Day. Maybe Friday for the transfer.... nope, taking Friday off for the looooong weekend. Maybe Monday. Truck leaves Indiana Tuesday and arrives at First stop... St. Louis. Sits in yard for a day waiting for transfer. Finally gets on KC bound trailer Thursday afternoon. Gets delivered Friday... Service closed till Tuesday. Dealer gets it done but have to wait for sealer to set. Pick it up Wednesday... Leave Friday after loading up and pickling the house. Get there Wed, Dec 14. Thats my story and I'm stick'n to it... LOL

Soooo, hows the axle goin? and Did the fine fella that got your VM leave a message?

Old 12-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #13

Ok Dester built my new axle and we drove out to Eklhart In. to pick it up to hurry the plan along. We dropped it off at Campland Rv for a Tuesday install.

Jayco told me they will give me a one hour labor for Install ?? (Good Jester). I wasn't too Happy with their one hour. I wrote to the guy'z boss and to him. I called this week and started getting the run around. I guy told me I was 39 days out of warranty, but their top of the line product should last longer than 2 yrs 39 days. I then explained my unit has been in for warranty items and waiting for parts for 142 Days. Ok we'll cover the cost the replyed. I also get two new tires. I will change all four with American made.

So I guess the Moral to the story is don't give up !!! well if I wasn't retired I would have just Paid the Bill. Retirement gives you the time to fight your battles for what is Right.

Well That's My $ 0.02 cents.

We were planning to roll out for four months in Texas a week from Monday but the Wife needs another Operation. I guess there'z always January
Old 12-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #14

Good job! I think the key is to tell them exactly how you want it resolved in a calm but firm manner being polite as possible. I think your argument that it was in for warranty and unuseable was spot on and they should extend it. In reality, they met their obligation so they could have just as easily said no - so again - good job!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #15

Jayco Parts Support

I got tired of waiting and freezing so I called Jayco
directly yesterday. They had no explanation for 9 weeks of nothing
shipped! Today 12/3, I got an e-mail from
the dealer saying that Jayco contacted them
and the reason the parts were not shipped
is because Jayco does not have the trim.
They say that they are trying to find a supplier!!!
9 weeks and they can't find trim? I'm throwing
the BS flag on this one. Screw trim is used
by almost every manufacturer to join exterior
parts.

Add this fiasco to the other parts that are
No longer available for a 2003 top of the line
unit and have not been for years and you
have a problem justifying the cost.

I really like the trailer but at this point, I will
Not be a Jayco customer when it comes time
To upgrade. i.e. scratch one Pinnacle sale Jayco.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #16

Well today we brought the Big Bird home. Campland RV did a great job, I got the axle from Dexter. They install it along with new schakes withe new bolts. My next thing is four new tires, Jayco is picking up the tab on two tires too.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #17

It's good to hear that they took care of you. One of the reasons we bought a Jayco was bedcause of reading stories like yours. Most companies after two years won't do anything to help you.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #18

Angry bad axles on mine also

I only have 8K miles on mine has been in shop for 1 1/2 months but Dexter axle will replace axles and all 4 tires. My tires are trash worn on inside of left side of camper and outside of right side. Camper is still in warrenty but takes Jayco along time to make up minds if repairs will be made. Last year it was in for warrenty for almost 3 months w/o use of camper I would be hard pressed to recommend Jayco to anyone.
dheadingto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #19

Ok here'z what I learned about Jayco. You want or need your rig fixed ? Call Jayco ask for warranty dept. This helps your dealer too as sometimes they Jayco tend to drag their feet. I always called the warranty girl to keep her in the circle. Talk nice also e-mail what you talked about. Keep on them, I went to Dexter as Jayco told me they will do nothing for me. Jayco sounded mad when I told them I got an axle with One Phone Call. Jayco said they would cover an hour labor. I explained that wasn't close for labor, I explained that it's not like being in the factory. I got my tires on friday and ready to hit the road. I went with Maxxis 235/80/16 sure look much better than the BadYears.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:58 PM   #20

Yogi154 I am glad that you are all set to go. It has been a struggle for sure. We are currently waiting on an $1133 reimbursment check from Sept 21st. We have been told just recently that it is comming.