Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2020, 05:37 PM   #1

Dewinterized. Busted fridge lines.

Third winter, others were much colder, and for some reason I didn’t dodge the bullet this one.

Blew out with air, disconnected at the base of the fridge, removed filter, yada, yada, and the lines still froze and busted at back of the fridge,

What pain am I looking at to repair? Can I go in from below?

2018 377.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:43 PM   #2

It's probably the 1/4" on the fridge. Only way to fix that is pull the fridge out. Could be the electric valve back there too.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It's probably the 1/4" on the fridge. Only way to fix that is pull the fridge out. Could be the electric valve back there too.
Right, but there is an island in the way. Looking for 377 specific tricks.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old 03-20-2020, 05:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
Right, but there is an island in the way. Looking for 377 specific tricks.
Just spit balling, but you could take the doors off, then I would think that u could squeeze behind to get at that line??
Old 03-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Just spit balling, but you could take the doors off, then I would think that u could squeeze behind to get at that line??
Hmm, maybe!

Open for more spitballs!

I know I’m not the first guy to get bit by this.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old 03-20-2020, 07:32 PM   #6

On my prior rig I had done the same, blew out the lines etc, etc, etc... and in the spring I had a busted valve at the back of the fridge. I had to pull the fridge from the cabinet and do the rep[air and then roll the fridge back in place. I had to improvise a platform (2 4x4 fence posts) to roll the fridge onto because it sat approx 4 inches higher than the floor.

Here is the link. to my thread on the Thor forum where I discussed the issue in detail.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...w-up-3717.html

Here is a pic of the valve I had to replace. You can see the crack on the lower left side just above the metal plate. The plastic valve is more susceptible to breaking (less flex) than the ice maker water lines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	886B04E5-4E20-4B33-85C9-39DB63091ACE.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	57220
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:56 PM   #7

This was my first winter with a fridge to winterize. I did my best and I’ve already decided if it has a damaged line I’m just going to plug the fridges water line and call it good. I don’t need an ice maker/dispenser or water dispenser anyways.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:34 AM   #8

My compression fitting at the fridge started to leak a year after we got it. Being I was an appliance delivery guy back in the day, i knew how this stuff comes apart and goes together. With the slide out, I took the doors off the fridge, took off the brackets that hold the fridge in, top and bottom, made a makeshift floor to roll the fridge all the way out to the island. I put a moving blanket on the island as to not mark up the island or fridge. I squiggled the fridge over just a little bit so I could fit between it and the stove. In behind it, I made my repair, compression fitting must have been put on when the guy was either drunk or high, I turned the water on and no more leak. Reverse the take out process and things have been fine ever since.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
This was my first winter with a fridge to winterize. I did my best and I’ve already decided if it has a damaged line I’m just going to plug the fridges water line and call it good. I don’t need an ice maker/dispenser or water dispenser anyways.

I’ll second this. My wife still won’t drink from the dispenser anyway(a battle I’ll never win). We can bring ice with us. Plenty of room in the freezer.

Like the OP, I’d have to pull the slide or the island to get behind the fridge. Neither of those is in my wheel house of ambitions.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:12 PM   #10

The whirlpool in my 377 did the same last year. Blew out the lines but it wasn’t good enough. When I de -winterized last April I had water coming out from behind. I asked jayco to look at it when it was in for the crack repair. They said the valve at the water inlet cracked. Fridge has to come out. Someone made a platform to roll it onto and removing the doors would definitely give you more room.

This year I ran pink stuff through the fridge de-winterized a coupe of days ago and all good.

I also plan to put the hatch that the 2020 models have behind my fridge. Unfortunately I ordered the wrong color - have one that matches a pinnacle if anyone is interested- and need to order the color for my North point.

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
On my prior rig I had done the same, blew out the lines etc, etc, etc... and in the spring I had a busted valve at the back of the fridge. I had to pull the fridge from the cabinet and do the rep[air and then roll the fridge back in place. I had to improvise a platform (2 4x4 fence posts) to roll the fridge onto because it sat approx 4 inches higher than the floor.

Here is the link. to my thread on the Thor forum where I discussed the issue in detail.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...w-up-3717.html

Here is a pic of the valve I had to replace. You can see the crack on the lower left side just above the metal plate. The plastic valve is more susceptible to breaking (less flex) than the ice maker water lines.

Attachment 57220
I had the same thing happen on my 2018 377- first time winterizing. By taking the doors off the fridge we could slide it forward enough to get behind fridge and change the part out. The part was fairly universal and a local appliance shop had in stock. It wasn't easy but it wasn't terrible.

I now use RV anti-freeze through everything and don't rely on blowing it out. Sanitize annually and we can't taste anything in the water. We use the heck out of the icemaker!
Slurugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #12

Finally was able to revisit my rig. We keep it in a seasonal site between trips, and lucky us that’s in Maryland, one of the last states to allow camping during the pandemic.

Swapping the busted valve was relatively easy, took about an hour and a half, including making the wood frame for the fridge to slide onto. Doors definitely have to come off. Freezer door has all the wiring and plumbing connections on it. Two people would have made reinstallation of that door easier, but I man-handled it solo.

Here’s the space you have when the fridge is slid out and cocked on an angle. The valve is on the bottom left side, very accessible.

I also swapped out my dog whistling converter under warranty from Progressive Dynamics. That was also easier than anticipated.

Tomorrow I tackle a potentially expensive boat issue, pray for me.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum