Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #1

Dewinterizing w/uni dock control panel

New guy here. I understand how to winterize and sanitize w/the uni dock system. When dewinterizing how do you avoid getting antifreeze into the hot water tank. When setting the valves for city water the hot water tank is no longer bypassed so will antifreeze get into the hot water tank. Also when dewinterizing do you open the low point valves? Also I've got a washer/dryer. Do I need to cycle it to flush the antifreeze from it? It's a 323lkts. Thanks in advance, rick
Old 12-20-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
Site Team

In that same area are 3 valves that either bypass the wh or allow water into it. Make sure it is bypassed and drained before you winterize.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:58 PM   #3

Interesting....I wouldn't have thought of it.
It wouldn't be much antifreeze going in though.
I think I will just open the low points to let most antifreeze out, then leave the levers on winterized, and use a couple buckets of water sucking through the system until the beginning area is free from antifreeze. Then turn the levers to city.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:25 PM   #4

To de-winterized I hook up to city water and open all the faucets till the water is clear and there is no foaming (the anti-freeze seems to foam a bit coming thru the strainers) then put a fresh filter in. Since you have a washer I'd run it thru a cycle. Set the WH to normal and fill and I'm good to go. I don't bother with low point drains.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:02 AM   #5

I don't worry about antifreeze because, I used compressed air to blow everything out. The only places I used antifreeze was in all the drains to fill P-traps.
dalengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #6

Wow gosh end is way up there in Indiana. Do you have indoor storage? I thought about just blowing out the lines but I'm storing outside and I'm a new guy so I guess I'll try and stay safe until I get my feet wet. I'm just north of louisville ky
Old 12-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #7

Rgrigutis,

Using compressed air, I would think is safe no matter how far north one lives.

If you are interested, I'd be delighted to go thru the steps I use when I winterize. I admit, I probably take more time doing it than normal but, it has worked for me this way for 12 years.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:33 AM   #8

Thanks dale I'd appreciate learning how you do it
Old 12-21-2015, 08:35 AM   #9

I'll listen too
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:37 AM   #10

Sanitize and flush your plumbing with the heater bypassed. The potable water tank and all faucets need to be done.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:35 AM   #11

OK. ShawnR, I sanitize in the spring when I dewinterize. I pour a couple cap fulls of plain old Clorox in the end of the hose and hook it up and fill the fresh water tank just enough the fill the entire plumbing system which includes the hot water heater. Then, make sure all faucets and low point drains are closed. Turn on water pump. May take a few minutes because, you are filling the hot water heater tank, also. Go thru and open all faucets, hot and cold, until all air is gone and getting a steady flow. Simple.

To winterize, I go thru and open everything. Remove plug from hot water heater tank, open pressure relief valve at top of tank, all faucets and low point drains and fresh water tank drain. While everything is draining, I use a large empty coffee can to set under the whole house filter to remove canister and filter. Empty filter canister and screw it back into place.

Once all draining and piddling has stopped, I put the plug back into the hot water heater tank and go thru unit to close all faucets and low point drains.

Using my portable 3 gallon air compressor and an adaptor I made, I turn on compressor and allow to fill and shut down. At that point, I set the regulator to about 40 psi and hook up to the city connection. Compressor usually starts again, to pressurize the entire plumbing system and shut down. Then , I go thru and open all faucets one at a time on both hot and cold until only air is coming out. I also, open foot flush on the toilets until air comes out. Once that is done throughout, I do run the water pump for a few seconds to empty it. Now, I go out and open all low point drains one at a time until air is coming out. Done!

The air compressor has just done a lot of running, obviously. So, unplug it and put away.

I go back to the unit, open pressure relief back up on the hot water heater tank and remove plug and, reopen all low point drains.

Now, go in with a gallon of antifreeze, open all faucets again, and pour antifreeze down the drains for all sinks and shower. At this point, I have very little antifreeze left so, I pour what is left into toilets to keep seals from drying out.

I leave everything open thru the winter. If, by chance there is any water in the system and it freezes, it most likely will not damage anything because, it is not under any pressure and has room to expand when it does freeze.

Sorry this so long but, this is what do. It is my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 12-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #12

Thanks dale And Gail! Good detailed write up. I'll try it next fall or late this winter when I come back from florida
Old 12-21-2015, 07:09 PM   #13

It is just a matter of common sense and, taking your time to make sure you didn't forget to empty anything out.

I might add, obviously, you will end up with water in the gray and black tanks. So what! This is an example of what I refered to as water not being under pressure. At some point, perhaps several times throughout the winter, that water laying on the bottom of the tank is going to freeze and expand. It won't matter because, there is all kinds of space in there for it to expand. Thanks to the vent, it can do that. Likewise, if you leave all the faucets and low point drains open and allow the atmospheric pressure to equalize inside the water lines, the same thing will happen. In my opinion it is no big deal!

Besides, if you move the unit several miles down the road after you have winterized to it's winter storage place, like I do, you might get lucky and loose some of that residual water. Simply by the natural movement of the unit as it travels down the road or, vacuums that might be created that may suck it out.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
To de-winterized I hook up to city water and open all the faucets till the water is clear and there is no foaming (the anti-freeze seems to foam a bit coming thru the strainers) then put a fresh filter in. Since you have a washer I'd run it thru a cycle. Set the WH to normal and fill and I'm good to go. I don't bother with low point drains.
+1 but I don't have the washer run until clear
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote