Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2024, 06:05 PM   #1

Dexron vs Dexron 3, 4 etc Equilizer System

Hi all,
So... I replaced a leaking front leg jack and went rummaging through emails from Jayco that I have regarding the leveling system.

The system (Equilizer) calls for Dexron. I can order Dexron (we'll call it the original version) online, but I do know the iterations following that ie Dexron 3, Dexron IV etc are more readily available.

I've Dr Google'd this subject to the detriment of my thumbs, so anyone have experience in replenishment with Dexron 3, IV etc?

Thanks
Gypsies&Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 09:19 PM   #2

Dexron III has been available since the early 1990's so I am confident that your system already has Dexron III or IV and there are no worries with using either in your hydraulic equalizer system. If I am not mistaken, the original dexron was used in the 60's and earlier, I was using Dexron II in the 70's.

I suspect that your manual says to use Dexron without intending to mean to get the original Dexron and instead they are simply stating to just use any Dexron that you want to use as it doesn't matter.

BTW, it does matter in transmissions, but for a hydraulic pump and hydraulic cylinders it doesn't matter. In fact any 10 weight oil such as regular ISO32 hydraulic oil would also work just fine (hydraulic oil is not hard to find, but not as easy to find as Dexron). ~CA
Old 06-09-2024, 04:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsies&Cat View Post
Hi all,
So... I replaced a leaking front leg jack and went rummaging through emails from Jayco that I have regarding the leveling system.

The system (Equilizer) calls for Dexron. I can order Dexron (we'll call it the original version) online, but I do know the iterations following that ie Dexron 3, Dexron IV etc are more readily available.

I've Dr Google'd this subject to the detriment of my thumbs, so anyone have experience in replenishment with Dexron 3, IV etc?

Thanks

I had one leg replaced under warranty, front passenger side, and looks like my middle leg, driver side, leaks a small amount when retracting it, maybe the last inch or so of travel. I am guessing it will have to be replaced as well. Any issues, words of wisdom you encountered when doing the work? It seems simple enough, but wondering about the hydraulic fittings and fluid leakage with removal
Old 06-09-2024, 05:54 AM   #4

Here’s a snip from my manual. Different make same Lippert system 6 point system.

Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) with DexronŽIII or MerconŽ V or a blend of both is recommended by Lippert Components, Inc. For a list of approved fluid specifications, see TI-188. To obtain this Technical Information sheet on-line, go to http https://lci-support-lci4a3lcd. Then click on the Technical Information sheets tab. Look for TI-188: Hydraulic Operation Fluid Recommendation within the listing.
NOTE: In colder temperatures (less than 10 ° F) the jacks may extend and retract slowly due to the fluid's molecular nature. For cold weather operation, fluid specially formulated for low temperatures may be desirable.
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 09:31 AM   #5

Hi jetlag,
The replacement was straight forward. The only recommendation I have is to be smarter than me and remove your tailgate BEFORE hitching up. If you don't, you will have a hard time getting to the inboard hose fittings on top of the leveling system pump/control. Other than that, some hydraulic fitting sealant like Loctight 545 or Vibra Tite 440 etc and some brake cleaner to make sure the fittings are clean.

That's about it.

I'll be having a local shop make a few spare hoses since all the fittings are uniform.
Old 06-09-2024, 09:33 AM   #6

Thanks for that background on the subject. Very helpful Tx and CA!
Old 06-11-2024, 04:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Hi jetlag,
The replacement was straight forward. The only recommendation I have is to be smarter than me and remove your tailgate BEFORE hitching up. If you don't, you will have a hard time getting to the inboard hose fittings on top of the leveling system pump/control. Other than that, some hydraulic fitting sealant like Loctight 545 or Vibra Tite 440 etc and some brake cleaner to make sure the fittings are clean.

That's about it.

I'll be having a local shop make a few spare hoses since all the fittings are uniform.

Thanks. this leg is at the rear driver side, and all I see are two hydraulic lines connected to the leg and the bolts to attach it. Am I missing something here when you talk about hitching up and inboard fittings on top of the leveling system/ pump control? Thanks
Old 06-11-2024, 11:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Thanks. this leg is at the rear driver side, and all I see are two hydraulic lines connected to the leg and the bolts to attach it. Am I missing something here when you talk about hitching up and inboard fittings on top of the leveling system/ pump control? Thanks

Jetlag,
No, you will be all set without hooking up. My issue was on the front legs so I had to use the truck.

Yours should be super easy.
Old 06-11-2024, 03:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Jetlag,
No, you will be all set without hooking up. My issue was on the front legs so I had to use the truck.

Yours should be super easy.

Thank You, just wanted to make sure

Tags
equilizer systems, hydraulic levelers