Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #1

Dexter E-Z Lube Axles

I was reading about safe jacking points and greasing Dexter Axles was mentioned. Do you fill the cavity with grease until it squeezes out? Does this mean you don't have to repack bearings every 10K miles? Dealer says you don't add grease after repacking and insists on a repack every 10K.
Thanks.
Ron
Jayco 2013 Eagle 5th wheel
ronwarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #2

Should repack every year or 10K miles. I repack every few years.

If you use the easy lubes. You need to lift the frame, so as you pump in the grease you can spin the wheel. You pump in new grease until all the old grease is displaced. Warning, it is easy to pump in the grease to fast and blow out the rear seal, and contaminate the brakes.

Most people including myself, prefer to pull the wheel, clean and inspect everything, and put it back together. It does require purchasing new rear seals.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

ronwarby,

Welcome to JOF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwarby View Post
snip...... Dealer says you don't add grease after repacking and insists on a repack every 10K......snip
IMO good advice.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #4

My dealer told me as well to not add grease but repack every 10k as you mentioned. I have seen too many blown seals and messed up shoes on other TT. Our unit is always stored inside so reseal the roof and repack bearings every 2 years. We put about 5k on each year.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:52 PM   #5

Didn't put any grease in mine yet after 3 1/2 years. Took mine apart and found the single lip rear seals blown (Yep.... all 4). Put in double lip rear seals and re-packed all the bearings.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:10 AM   #6

Lot of talk on greasing vs repacking.

If done carefully and slowly greasing works. I have greased my bearings every 6mos. for years. After waiting for the 10,000 miles on my last rig and having a thrown bearing on the interstate. Not fun.

I do not recommend using the rigs rams if auto leveling is installed to lift your rig. It causes to much positive camber on your frame and could lead to slim-treck silde issues.

I use jack stands and remove the wheels. Place a piece of cardboard under the brake drum to catch the drippings. Slowly pump in the new grease while spinning the brake drum. I use a complete tube of grease for each bearing every time. I do grease often and I do believe in inspecting the bearings too, just not that often. Additionally, I use a cordless two speed grease gun. It helps to allow the spinning of the brake drums.

Attached Thumbnails
0916131059a.jpg  

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:26 AM   #7

A question on Dexter Axles and bearings... I'm planning to remove/repack at some point this year, but, if I need to order replacement bearings or seals, how do I know what kind of axle I have? The Jayco docs tell me nothing

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:46 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

WeRJuliian,

There will be a manufactures data label (S/N, model, weight, etc.) on the axles with all the information you will need.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:54 PM   #9

Indeed there was, thanks Bob

And the first thing I saw, on the label, was.. "Lippert"
Not a Dexter axle at all, despite what the Jayco manual says.

Oh well...

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
Lot of talk on greasing vs repacking.

If done carefully and slowly greasing works. I have greased my bearings every 6mos. for years. After waiting for the 10,000 miles on my last rig and having a thrown bearing on the interstate. Not fun.

I do not recommend using the rigs rams if auto leveling is installed to lift your rig. It causes to much positive camber on your frame and could lead to slim-treck silde issues.

I use jack stands and remove the wheels. Place a piece of cardboard under the brake drum to catch the drippings. Slowly pump in the new grease while spinning the brake drum. I use a complete tube of grease for each bearing every time. I do grease often and I do believe in inspecting the bearings too, just not that often. Additionally, I use a cordless two speed grease gun. It helps to allow the spinning of the brake drums.

Why do you remove wheels if just pumping in grease?
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #11

My daughters popup had a major problem. Probably caused by loose or over-tightened axle nut.

My thought at this time it would be better to put a whole new wheel assembly as the heat, wobbling of-the wheel, etc. probably ruined whatever was wrong and everything else. May also be more time saving then trying to rebuild it.
Any suggestions or thoughts.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis b View Post
Two reasons:
1. Enables me to carefully inspect my tires for wear, inside bulges, and nails or screws in the tire.

2. The main reason is when the wheel comes of, so does the plastic hub cap. When pumping in the grease the old grease comes out as much as the new grease goes in, and that can be a fairly large amount. With the wheels on and the hub cap in place it frankly makes a big mess. Without the wheel in place I just put an old cardboard box under the hub and the old grease just falls into the box for easily disposal. No mess and easy cleanup.

Plus, the hub must be rotated while pumping grease and my helper (my wife) finds it easier to rotate just the hub.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis b View Post
Removing the wheels is a cleaner process. Although the wheel has a cover plate and the dust cap has a removeable rubber grease cover you will/should spin the wheel to help ease the grease. If you have to spin then why not remove the wheel? I just place a piece of cardboard on the ground and pump and spin. Watching the grease fall is easier to see the old being replaced by the new grease. If you leave the wheel on you spend a lot of time spooning the grease out or it will fall and spread inside the wheel. Messy no?

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwarby View Post
I was reading about safe jacking points and greasing Dexter Axles was mentioned. Do you fill the cavity with grease until it squeezes out? Does this mean you don't have to repack bearings every 10K miles? Dealer says you don't add grease after repacking and insists on a repack every 10K.
Thanks.
Ron
Jayco 2013 Eagle 5th wheel
Welcome to the Forum.

If you’re just adding grease to the bearings you have no idea what type of grease was used originally. Some grease types don’t play well with each other and will interact negatively when combined. That’s probably one reason they don’t recommend adding grease.
I always clean, repack and use Lucas Green tacky grease, it has a higher temperature rating than most. It’s readily available at most stores and I keep an extra tube on hand. I keep a record book and make a note of the grease, repacking date etc. When I sell the camper the book goes with the camper and helps with resale value.

You’re better off cleaning, inspecting and repacking the bearings yourself. You’ll know it was done correctly, what condition the bearings are in and what grease was used.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:24 AM   #15

Just replaced and repacked the bearings and grease seals on all 4 hubs last weekend. No sign of wear or discoloration on bearings, hubs, or spindle but after 3 years I decided to start over fresh. It’s not a hard job, especially with the correct tools. I bought the grease seal puller and a cheapie bearing race/grease seal driver after attempting the first one without them. Best $30 I ever spent as the other three hubs went faster than me beating and prying on the first one while hoping I didn’t scratch or mar a surface. For adding grease maybe the EZ lube is ok, but I’d prefer to hand pack them so I can inspect them and make sure a seal isn’t blown or something is worn out I can’t see.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:31 PM   #16

Take a picture of the label on the axle and call Lippert. I did and they told me exactly what seals I needed. I ordered the seals along with some other things from Etrailer.
Bakersfish is offline   Reply With Quote