Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #1

Didn't even get started CRASH!

We brought the new 27.5 RLTS home from the RV lot a total of 1 1/2 miles. Got RV set up to load for our trip and we went inside to find the glass on the bathroom mirror had slid off the wood backing.

I am in disbelief that this trailer that I thought was put together better than this, has a mirror that is stuck on by double back tape. Anyone living in Florida or any other hot spots around the country should probably have the same thing happen to them.

I don't know if the pictures will come out or not but the mirror just slid down the wood backer due to the heat which has been in the mid nineties. What part of having some kind of clip to help hold the mirror on was not in the manufacturer's to do list.

We will still take off for our trip but it would have been nice if this had not happened before we even got started. A bad sign of what's to come?

Sorry for the photos, I have tried over and over to get them upright but I'm having no luck at that. Don't have a clue what everyone does to put pictures on their posts
Attached Thumbnails
mirror was fastened by double back tape (1).jpg   mirror was fastened by double back tape (2).jpg  
2014 F350 SD Lariat, 4X2, Ext.Cab 8'Bed, 6.2Ltr gas, 4:30 Rear ratio
2008 Cedar Creek Fifth Wheel 34TSA, 37' (traded in)
2017 Jayco Eagle HT Fifth Wheel 27.5 RLTS
bogadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #2

One other thing I need to know is there a contact person at Jayco that I would want to let them know about this problem. If they are putting out these mirrors with sticky tape on the back, how many of them are going to hit the floor as mine did? It's only 3 months old, had one weekend trip for a shake down test and now getting ready for a road trip, man this is not a good thing.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:40 PM   #3

We looked at several
eagles this summer, and every one of them had that mirror fallen off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:57 PM   #4

Ours in the north point fell off also, not even two months old. Now it needs a new sink and counter top. I couldn't wait for jayco to replace so I had a local glass shop make me one, now trying to get reimbursed by jayco.

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:27 PM   #5

Mine slid down to rest on the backsplash but I caught it before it fell off and broke. I used professional Mirror Glue (comes in a calking tube at HomeDepotLowes) to put it back - that stuff doesn't "melt" - It's what they used to mount some HUGE mirrors in my new home.

And yes, I agree - Jayco should know better. They must be having an almost 100% failure rate.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:00 AM   #6

Ours fell off as well. That was in June and was replaced already as well as sink top. Mirror glue was used for the new one.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #7

same here

Mine is the 27.5 rlst also (2017) and the exact same thing happened. Waiting to hear from my dealer on the warranty issue. Must be a bad batch of that 3M tape (or whatever it is), or need more of it for the weight of the mirror.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by citgodan View Post
Mine is the 27.5 rlst also (2017) and the exact same thing happened. Waiting to hear from my dealer on the warranty issue. Must be a bad batch of that 3M tape (or whatever it is), or need more of it for the weight of the mirror.

It's under-engineered. That tape lets go in the heat. They should have glued it or used fixtures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:55 PM   #9

Thanks for all the replies on the mirror problem. I did not hear of this before or I might have been more attuned to it but I probably would not have been there when it came crashing down.

I am also thinking of going to a glass shop and getting a new mirror installed with a more permanent glue.

I called the dealer in Tampa today and asked if they had heard of this problem and without a seconds thought, it was OH Yeah! So, I thought I would make an appointment for when we return from our trip, well the persons not here right now but I'll have her call you and set it up. End of day still no appointment scheduled, I will try while on the road. By then maybe I'll have a short (I hope) List of things to be taken care of.
Again, Thanks for all the replies, I'm glad I wasn't the only one that has had this happen, and maybe we can help someone be aware of this and it won't happen to them.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:35 PM   #10

I had the same issue with a wood panel on my fridge with a previous unit I owned, glued it down with some Heavy duty construction adhesive I bought at HD
Diggerdan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:05 AM   #11

Ours is fine. It had been on the dealer's lot during Texas summer before we bought it. We live in it so it has not seen over 100deg inside. It has been over 90 a few times and no sign of falling off. Including some pretty rough roads (it has been towed about 5000mi so far too).
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:05 PM   #12

Ours was delivered with the mirror broke.
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:36 AM   #13

Mine fell off after the first month, it's a flaw and the dealer should be able to fix it pretty quickly once the mirror is ordered. The bigger concern is if any damage is done to the bathroom when it falls. In my case there wasn't any damage so it was just replacing the mirror.. would suck though for people whose sink etc gets damaged.
Jarnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnae View Post
Mine fell off after the first month, it's a flaw and the dealer should be able to fix it pretty quickly once the mirror is ordered. The bigger concern is if any damage is done to the bathroom when it falls. In my case there wasn't any damage so it was just replacing the mirror.. would suck though for people whose sink etc gets damaged.
Jarnae, I would agree that this is a flaw, mostly in the engineering dept. if they actually have one. I don't even think that a first year student would think that 3 to 4 strips of double back tape is going to hold a mirror on for very long. I live in Florida so that heat really made this stuff come lose pretty quick.

I bought a Jayco in 2003, a 31 ft fifth wheel with rear kitchen. My wife really liked it, but the quality was terrible. It was so bad that I traded it in 11 months later for an almost exact model of American Star by Newmar. Now that was built right. I had high hopes for this 27.5 RLTS that things had improved in the last 14 years, I'm questioning my decision now. Don't get me wrong as I think there is a lot to like, but as we travel on our maiden voyage, each day has brought a new thing to jot down for a to do list. Today I found a puddle of water under the kitchen sink. Yesterday I found water in the driver side storage compartment. After much looking and removing of panels I found the water leak at the water heater. Someone neglected to tighten the fresh water connection. Problem solved, Yeah!!! Now I have to put all the panels and stuff I took apart back. I also traced the problem with the Cap lights that weren't working. One of the pins came off the back of the switch and now I bought a new switch but need to modify the hole as the switch is slightly bigger, no problem. I also noticed the slide on the kitchen wall, the side trim is being pushed outwards by the rubber seal at the top. I think I will let dealer fool with that as well as the door slide which is hanging up and it goes out with a bang. The front door opens all by itself going down the road, even though it's locked. Annoying yes!

Just a few things I don't want to full with, but those that I can I will try to fix to the best of my ability. I will keep adding to this list of things as we progress on our journey, but I'm hoping that things will settle in and no more problems arise. This is supposed to me a vacation!
Old 09-01-2017, 09:02 PM   #15

Mine did the same thing, although it had fallen before we purchased it. The dealer had it fixed but unfortunately took the door off to fix it. The second time we had the trailer out, the whole door fell off. Since the didn't do much to shore up the scores in the osb. Now I have a dent in the shower tub.
Dawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote