Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2019, 07:53 AM   #1

Diesel Additives

I've always been skeptical about the effectiveness of fuel additives. However, now owning my first diesel and talking to other owners, diesel fuel additives in certain situations are considered necessary. I would be interested in what your feelings are concerning diesel additives and if you do use one, what brand and for what purpose?
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:09 AM   #2

I’m on my 2nd diesel and I’ve never used any. I was told by a diesel mechanic that I wouldn’t need to use any unless I moved north where it gets really cold.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #3

My son-in-law...…...a 20 year ASE certified Master diesel mechanic says>>>>

Snake oil...….
Old 01-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #4

I use Ford recommended PM-22A, cetane booster and fuel system lubricant every other tank fill. Necessary? I just don't know. Since my garage is climate controlled and I don't drive my diesel in the winter, fuel jelling is not an issue for me.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:27 AM   #5

Diesel Additives

Al

This is a topic like “gas vs diesel”.

Some will say you don’t need anything while others says yes you do. I believe Cummins has Diesel Kleen as an approved additive. The real question is what are you trying to gain or accomplish using an additive? If it’s for extra mpg, then no I don’t think you need to add any because they don’t improve mileage.

If you have concerns about fuel quality, which is very important on common rail diesels, then yes additives can help. ULSD doesn’t have the lubricity of diesel of 10-15 years ago. So adding something to increase fuel lubricity is a plus. Also, adding to boost cetane is a plus. Diesel fuel, unlike octane for unleaded, isn’t strictly regulated for cetane. So when you go to pump gas, you know you’re getting 87 octane. There’s no cetane rating on the pumps. Higher cetane levels make for better fuel combustion and better mileage (to a degree).

So, having said that, I do use additives. I use arch oil AR6200 and I use DK in the grey bottle. I use it to protect my fuel system from water (fords water separator isn’t that great and any water in the injectors causes $$$$ worth of damages). I also make sure to drain the water separator regularly to ensure no water in fuel. I also get a cetane boost, cleaning of injectors, and a smooth running engine from these additives. YMMV

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:34 AM   #6

I use stanadyne blue label treatment every tank. I use the stanadyne injector cleaner brown label couple times a year. All under the advice of a diesel fuel system shop/lab.
One of those things, everyone has their own opinion. For me on such an expensive fuel system and getting fuel at iffy olaces at times, I see it as a reasonable insurance.
Keep your fuel filters changed and look for water in the drains. Especially after getting fuel at an iffy place.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #7

Diesel supplements

I used Diesel Kleen in my 2011 Ram, and after about 3 months of use, check engine light came on, went to dealer, installed new oxygen sensor, told me stop using the additive, did not more engine light issues. I am picky where I buy my fuel,only at high volume places.

Buckeyejim
Columbus OH
Jayco 322fks
Jaycojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Al

This is a topic like “gas vs diesel”.

Some will say you don’t need anything while others says yes you do. I believe Cummins has Diesel Kleen as an approved additive. The real question is what are you trying to gain or accomplish using an additive? If it’s for extra mpg, then no I don’t think you need to add any because they don’t improve mileage.

If you have concerns about fuel quality, which is very important on common rail diesels, then yes additives can help. ULSD doesn’t have the lubricity of diesel of 10-15 years ago. So adding something to increase fuel lubricity is a plus. Also, adding to boost cetane is a plus. Diesel fuel, unlike octane for unleaded, isn’t strictly regulated for cetane. So when you go to pump gas, you know you’re getting 87 octane. There’s no cetane rating on the pumps. Higher cetane levels make for better fuel combustion and better mileage (to a degree).

So, having said that, I do use additives. I use arch oil AR6200 and I use DK in the grey bottle. I use it to protect my fuel system from water (fords water separator isn’t that great and any water in the injectors causes $$$$ worth of damages). I also make sure to drain the water separator regularly to ensure no water in fuel. I also get a cetane boost, cleaning of injectors, and a smooth running engine from these additives. YMMV
Tom, what is "DK in the grey bottle"?
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycojim View Post
I used Diesel Kleen in my 2011 Ram, and after about 3 months of use, check engine light came on, went to dealer, installed new oxygen sensor, told me stop using the additive, did not more engine light issues. I am picky where I buy my fuel,only at high volume places.

Buckeyejim
Columbus OH
Jayco 322fks
Definitely wish I always have the option of only buying fuel at a good place. When you're out in the boonies and you need fuel, it's either run out or buy where you can. Do you have an auxiliary tank? Do you travel only in major areas? Most of my trips take me to remote areas where sometimes a little mom and pop store with an old diesel pump is my only choice.

My 07 I added two extra fuel filters to help protect the fuel system. This 18 I have came with two fuel filters.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
I use stanadyne blue label treatment every tank. I use the stanadyne injector cleaner brown label couple times a year. All under the advice of a diesel fuel system shop/lab.
Earl
👍Stanadyne makes the majority of injectors and pumps too.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Tom, what is "DK in the grey bottle"?

Diesel Kleen

Old 01-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #12

03 is when it went to ULSD at the pump. This is also the time frame when common rail fuel systems hit the trucks. I could tell the difference in the fuel back then. Pre ULSD fuel, I was getting better power and MPG. When the ULSD became mandatory at the pumps, that when my problems came in. Especially my injection pump(s). It needed the sulfur as a lubricating property. The sulfur in the fuel had more BTU's to it. More BTU, more power, more power was less consumption and more MPG. In those engines we are running a quart of 2 stroke oil per tank or a quart of trans fluid per tank. Even with the additives we are not EVER going to see the mpg's like we used to but we don't have the mechanical issues now either.

Back to your question of additives in the newer diesels,... you have to be careful. If you add too much and/or use it too often you could end up with issues like one poster in here. These new trucks have so many emissions sensors that if the exhaust is not coming out of that engine like the ECU program says its supposed to, it'll start throwing codes. Not to mention these sensors are not built very reliable.

If you want to put an additive to it to try to gain more MPG's, forget it. IF you are going to do it to keep things lubricated, that today's fuels are lacking in, or to keep fuel from gelling or Algae growing, etc,.
My Duramax for example, is sitting in the garage with a full tank of fuel and I added the proper amount of Power Service winter additive to it. Reason being, its been sitting for 2 1/2 months already and has 2 1/2 - 3 more months to go. I'm not worried about fuel gelling by any means, it's in a heated garage. I'm more concerned about the possibility of Algae growing in there. Been there, done that. During the "camping season" when it's out and running, once or twice I'll use the grey summer bottle of Power Service just to keep things (injection pump, injectors, etc.) a little more lubricated in there.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #13

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I’m on my 2nd diesel and I’ve never used any. I was told by a diesel mechanic that I wouldn’t need to use any unless I moved north where it gets really cold.
What Dan?? You're moving north where it gets really cold? LOL

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #14

I add Ford's PM-22A EVERY time I've added fuel for all the 12yrs and all 360,00mi since I bought my truck new in 2006. I have not had the problems that some 6.0liter Ford owners have experienced. I don't know if the additive was why, but I'm not willing to stop using the additive to find out.

In the past, I did use PM-23A (increase cetane + anti-gel) when I had #2 diesel fuel in my tanks and was traveling in the winter to Canada or the northern US.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I add Ford's PM-22A EVERY time I've added fuel for all the 12yrs and all 360,00mi since I bought my truck new in 2006. I have not had the problems that some 6.0liter Ford owners have experienced. I don't know if the additive was why, but I'm not willing to stop using the additive to find out.

In the past, I did use PM-23A (increase cetane + anti-gel) when I had #2 diesel fuel in my tanks and was traveling in the winter to Canada or the northern US.

The folks who used their 6.0s and kept up on the maintenance like you didn’t have too many problems. It’s the guys who didn’t need a diesel using it as a grocery getter or a city truck that usually had problems. I miss mine and am actually considering getting another as a “toy” [emoji3]

Old 01-19-2019, 10:43 AM   #16

After 11 years and 1.5 million miles as a truck driver in just about every type of weather, along with owning 4 different diesel pickups, the only additive I have ever used is Howe's during the winter months just for the added protection of anti-gelling. Most northern fuels already have the additives in them for anti-gel but if you come from a lower climate and forget then the fuel can gel on you and it just makes for a bad time! Like it has been said, everyone has a different opinion and/or experience.

2019 North Point 377RLBH
2017 KZ Venom Toy Hauler (STOLEN, Recovered, CRUSHED)
2010 Sabre 32BHOK (Traded in on Venom)
1978 StarCraft PopUp (Long gone)
artoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #17

None of them extend your factory warranty. Not using them doesn't shorten your factory warranty. That tells me all I need to know. If I lived someplace cold, I would consider adding anti-gel additives until I could move to someplace warmer.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by artoo93 View Post
After 11 years and 1.5 million miles as a truck driver in just about every type of weather, along with owning 4 different diesel pickups, the only additive I have ever used is Howe's during the winter months just for the added protection of anti-gelling. Most northern fuels already have the additives in them for anti-gel but if you come from a lower climate and forget then the fuel can gel on you and it just makes for a bad time! Like it has been said, everyone has a different opinion and/or experience.
X2 ^ ^ ^ ^

Diesel you buy at the pump in the winter comes with additives in the winter to prevent gelling in cold weather. If you never come north, then you won't find much need for anti-gel additive. The challenge is in the fall season and when travelling north - you don't know if the fuel you get is winter-diesel or not. Even Flying J does not put up signs, you have to assume. Refineries are not going to spend the additional cost on adding the additives if they don't expect temperatures to be cold yet, thus you never know.

We treat our Fuel with "Power Service"
https://www.walmart.com/ip/POWER-SER...3237/16644699?
when we are expecting ambient temperatures below 20F. Until you have had a gelled fuel system and been stuck w/o engine and generator... you have not lived. It's cheap insurance when you are camping and the morning temperature when you leave is +5 F !!!
Attached Thumbnails
20161231_145521.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrnigan View Post
I use Ford recommended PM-22A, cetane booster and fuel system lubricant every other tank fill. Necessary? I just don't know. Since my garage is climate controlled and I don't drive my diesel in the winter, fuel jelling is not an issue for me.
X2. I researched the web, PSD forums etc and found a million different opinions. My diesel mechanic, who I trust, recommended Marvel Mystery Oil, but at least one study I saw found it was worse than using nothing. The Motorcraft seems to keep things a bit quieter, it’s cheap and Ford-recommended. I also stick with Chevron on fill ups, with its high cetane rating. Seems to work. Or maybe it’s just in my head...
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
X2. I researched the web, PSD forums etc and found a million different opinions. My diesel mechanic, who I trust, recommended Marvel Mystery Oil, but at least one study I saw found it was worse than using nothing. The Motorcraft seems to keep things a bit quieter, it’s cheap and Ford-recommended. I also stick with Chevron on fill ups, with its high cetane rating. Seems to work. Or maybe it’s just in my head...

Whatever you do, DO NOT use marvel mystery oil. It may have been good in a old truck, even the 7.3l, but not in a modern diesel.