Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2019, 08:12 PM   #1

Difference Between Eagle & HT

We are long time RVers and sold our Open Range last March so we are RVless. We really like the Eagle 319MLOK and recently found the HT 30.5CKST which we also like. We are wanting to go see both in person. The Jayco website does not really describe or illustrate the build of the two. Are they built the same as far as chassis, walls, roofs and the such? Or please educate me on the differences.
SirCampsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:31 PM   #2

HT's are stripped down. Lot of the standard items on Eagle are options on HT. Some options aren't available on the HT's. Look at the standards and options lists between the too. The HT's tend to have lower GVW and CCC.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
HT's are stripped down. Lot of the standard items on Eagle are options on HT. Some options aren't available on the HT's. Look at the standards and options lists between the too. The HT's tend to have lower GVW and CCC.

Earl
Thanks for the reply Earl. Are the frames the same width and is that 8, 10 or 12". Axels 5200, 6k or what?
Old 09-12-2019, 08:46 PM   #4

Jayco specs

Jayco has a new app that you can download to your phone that answers all those questions and more. It's called Jayco Sales App
Old 09-12-2019, 08:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCampsalot View Post
Thanks for the reply Earl. Are the frames the same width and is that 8, 10 or 12". Axels 5200, 6k or what?
Not sure. Frame size can be easily measured on the stock units. Axle weights would be on the VIN sticker and on the axle tube sticker. The larger the trailer the bigger the frame and axle caps. The brochures should list those items. Dealer should have them and you can download them on the Jayco site.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:24 PM   #6

We initially looked at the HT, once we saw out first Eagle we were sold.
Cargo weight capacity will generally explain frame differences. Find a unit with the highest cargo capacity you can. Your don’t want to be always towing at max capacity.
Double the fresh, gray and black tanks, nicer cabinets/ counters. Higher ceilings, more options.
The Eagle will weigh up to a couple thousand pounds more, why? Bigger, stronger, nicer everything.
Only reason you should not go with a Eagle is if you don’t have a big enough truck, or not enough money.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:23 AM   #7

Doesn't the "HT" ostensibly stand for "Half-ton" (towable)? Hence the lighter weight in part by way of reduced stock features.

Not trying to stir the pot on prior lively debates on this forum regarding suitable truck capacity for a given RV, but I thought that was the origin of the model designation.
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:37 AM   #8

Big difference in the Eagle is basement storage. HT has minimal storage compared to the Eagle. Complete different frame and axles. Most HT have a step up by the front bed, Eagle does not. Eagle does sit higher than the HT. Also review the docking stations. Big difference.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:22 AM   #9

What is being stated is kinda what I was thinking. We live about 1.5 hours from Houston and plan to try and get there today or tomorrow to get a hands on. Tow vehicle is not a problem as we have a '14 3500 Ram DRW with Aisin tran. I am always looking to save some $$$, but not at the cost of later realizing I made a mistake. Resale is brutal I don't care if it's 5 minutes after purchase or 5 years.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:24 AM   #10

HT used to be called Eagle Super Lite. We had one for years. Good RV but certainly on the lower end as far as options and room is concerned. I would not get an HT unless like GHen said you don't have enough truck or money.
georam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by georam1 View Post
HT used to be called Eagle Super Lite. We had one for years. Good RV but certainly on the lower end as far as options and room is concerned. I would not get an HT unless like GHen said you don't have enough truck or money.
With these RVs getting bigger and bigger I am not sure if you can have enough truck and definitely never enough $$$$$.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
Big difference in the Eagle is basement storage. HT has minimal storage compared to the Eagle. Complete different frame and axles. Most HT have a step up by the front bed, Eagle does not. Eagle does sit higher than the HT. Also review the docking stations. Big difference.

As someone who recently came from a 2017 HT to an Eagle, I’d say this is accurate. We really like the new Eagle. Storage and tank capacities are a big thing with me. I’m glad I made the jump.

Now, I’ll stir the pot.... For the way we camp, the Eagle is a little on the large size. We gained 5.5 ft and some height. Doesn’t sound like much, but we were already pushing it in a couple places we’d take it. I’m hoping I can shoe horn it into a few of the places we like to go. Also, with the niceties and size comes some more complexity. The slides, residential fridge, added inverter. Also, it needs more battery than the dealer provides. I just try and read a lot so I can be ready to deal with added complexities.

Pluses on the HT... you can tow a small trailer behind it. Never a desire of mine, but you can. Shorter models available to allow a fifth wheel towing experience but easy to get into national and state parks. Obviously less weight, so more truck options. Also, with that smaller size comes less complexity. Lastly, if only 30 amp is available, one AC will still offer some cooling in warmer climates.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:02 AM   #13

HT

We have an HT, and we're happy with it for the 2 of us. Bigger holding tanks would be nice, though. I guess if we ever went bigger, we'd go way bigger, like a Northpoint, but don't see that happening.

And we would never tow ours with a half ton truck, even though it's called a half ton. We feel we're close to maxing out our 3/4 ton as it is, with our 28.5rsts.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:54 AM   #14

This is one area where Jayco has not muddied things up too much really. The HT's have UVW from 7,460-10,110. The full Eagles are 10,605-12,300. North Point and Pinnacle are all heavier than Eagle. It really is a weight class thing. In the TT lines, the UVW for the various lines have a lot more overlaps.

HT is supposed to indicate Half-Ton towable, but I expect most half-tons probably could not comfortably tow most of those rigs.
bankr63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #15

I have a 2017 or 2018 Eagle HT 26.5BHS. I can't remember which year exactly. The HT's have small tanks. Storage area is very minimal. Any excess items must go inside the RV during the travel. My tow vehicle is a 2015 Ram 2500 diesel and my 5th wheel hitch is a Curt A16. My truck has a bed toolbox full of tools. I tow it with a full water tank all the time in case of emergencies. It has 4 bikes at the rear hitch. Food and drinking water are in the fridge and cabinets. Satellite and barbeque stuff are in the front external storage. Clothes for a family of 4 are all stored inside the RV. Generator, 5th wheel tripod stand, satellite dish stand, and all of the wooden blocks for the jackstands are all in the pickup bed.The weight is perfect for the truck. Once, I locked the brakes because a deer was crossing at night and I was able to stopped in time. That's when you will know.

As far as the difference between Eagle and Eagle HTs, I noticed the kitchen accessories such as faucet, fridge, bathroom faucet are different and better in the Eagle. The Eagle may have self leveling jackstands. Eagle has definitely more storage tanks in terms of gallons. The frames are about the same. The Eagle will have few more members of brackets more than the Eagle HT because of the configuration and weight. All this, I couldn't justify why I should pay more for the Eagle.

In the past 2 years I've owned my Eagle HT, I started upgrading parts such as kitchen faucet from Home Depot, greaseable fittings in the suspension, plumbing fittings for higher water pressure, more noise insulation from water pump, slider awning, etc. These upgrades were so cheap and happily not included in the RV loan. Someday, I might even add those self-leveling jacks. It all depends how my body still feels. In the end, I am very happy with my RV.

Also, with the Eagle HT 26.5 BHS, doing u-turns are fairly easy!!!

Carlo
cgalutera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:43 PM   #16

We have a 2018 Eagle HT 24.5 and love it. As far as storage goes, I already haul way too much stuff, but with the basement storage and under bed storage, we have plenty to spare. It does have a receiver on the rear, which you could use for a cargo carrier I suppose. We always pull either a sand rail, golf cart, or side by side. Could use bigger water storage tanks, but a little conservation doesn't hurt. It pulls great, easy to park, and has a lot of bells a whistles that we didnt have with our TT. 2 ac's and 50 amp service was an available option, but we get plenty cold with the one ac.
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:20 PM   #17

Eagle vs Eagle HT

One of my friends and I have 2018 Eagle travel trailers. His is a 306RKDS Eagle HT and mine is a 338RETS Eagle and we've spent a lot of time working on and camping with them together. While the standard features of the Eagle are definitely better than the HT I've not found the fit and finish on the Eagle HT to be inferior in any way. We just put the Roadmaster shock kit on each of them and I can confirm that from underneath you wouldn't know the difference. While neither of us have fifth wheels I've got to believe that they would be similar.
lew4687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCampsalot View Post
We are long time RVers and sold our Open Range last March so we are RVless. We really like the Eagle 319MLOK and recently found the HT 30.5CKST which we also like. We are wanting to go see both in person. The Jayco website does not really describe or illustrate the build of the two. Are they built the same as far as chassis, walls, roofs and the such? Or please educate me on the differences.
We have a 2020 319mlok and so far we really like it .we have had a lot of rv over the years and so far this one seems to be the best built.
Farmboy98922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #19

We went from a Jayco 22FB TT to a 2020 28.5rsts HT. That in itself is a large step up. I am happy with the 5ver so far, we are not ready to retire yet but when we do we will upgrade to a bigger model. I really like the floor plan of the 28.5 though the bedroom is a little short for me. We got the 50 amp with 2 AC units.
wylan9021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #20

We have owned an HT 26.5 RLS since 2012 and find that the two of us cannot utilize all the carrying capacity of over 2,500 pounds, including batteries, water if we carried it, etc. We have plenty of room in the front for two Honda 2000 generators and the two 7 gallons LP tanks and two batteries behind the LP tanks. I have two ladders in the storage, tools, four camp chairs, hoses and electrical cords as necessary. 2,500 pounds is a bunch of stuff to carry around. We tow it with a 3/4 ton GMC D/A crew cab short-bed with a slider Reese hitch. We had a hitch mounted on the frame when we bought it and tow our 3,500 boat behind the trailer when we go to the lakes for fishing and camping. As far as tank capacity, the 40 gallon of fresh water is not very much, but most campgrounds have water somewhere around so we never really run out. The grey water capacity is 65 gallons in the two tanks and the black water is 32.5 gallons, which is plenty for us. I would say that the faucets and sinks are not the greatest, and the counters are laminate rather than solid surface, but so far we haven't seen the need to replace the counters. I did replace the bathroom faucet due to the fact the screws in the handles kept coming out so I got a little better one that works great. We don't have self-leveling, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money on that luxury when the jacks in the from and back are electric and work great for where we camp. We don't even use the storage underneath the bed and there has been no need so far. Once the Schwentec(sp) slide in the bedroom got fixed right, we have had no problems with either slide. All in all, I would say we got a good value for our money. Would it be nice to have a bigger one with a few more bells and whistles, sure, but since we don't full-time, don't need them. And, the one AC kept our FW cool in Palm Desert when the outside temp reached 108 a few years ago.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote