Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2019, 05:06 PM   #1

Different load rated spare

Recently I went under my RV to check underneath and found that the tire Jayco mounted on the spare was different than what was mounted on the tires on the ground from the factory. I find this very disturbing that when I called jayco after the dealership received a response to the fact that it's a spare tire to be used temporarily and not for long term use. This is the first trailer I have ever purchased that had a different tire with a E load rating when the ones on the ground are G rated. Larry at Jayco stated that that's how it was designed and that's it period. My rigs Vin sticker calls for G rated tires on but Jayco states that a E rated will be just fine. My unit is a 17 North Point. Front living. All I can say is I am very disappointed in Jayco for this. I feel it's a safety issue that needs to be corrected by the factory.
Millredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millredone View Post
Recently I went under my RV to check underneath and found that the tire Jayco mounted on the spare was different than what was mounted on the tires on the ground from the factory. I find this very disturbing that when I called jayco after the dealership received a response to the fact that it's a spare tire to be used temporarily and not for long term use. This is the first trailer I have ever purchased that had a different tire with a E load rating when the ones on the ground are G rated. Larry at Jayco stated that that's how it was designed and that's it period. My rigs Vin sticker calls for G rated tires on but Jayco states that a E rated will be just fine. My unit is a 17 North Point. Front living. All I can say is I am very disappointed in Jayco for this. I feel it's a safety issue that needs to be corrected by the factory.

Ever buy a car and had a "donut" spare? Meant for short duration to get you off the highway....If Jayco did all the "why didn't they" things your RV would be thousands or tens of thousands more.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Ever buy a car and had a "donut" spare? Meant for short duration to get you off the highway....If Jayco did all the "why didn't they" things your RV would be thousands or tens of thousands more.
X-2..Been like that since 2015 at least. That spare is also a steel rim and not Aluminum as the other 4.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #4

I got rid of my China bomb Raineers after 2 seasons. I replaced them with the next rating up for a little more weight rating. I kept the one that had never been used (the original spare) as my spare. Why? Because I will take the camper somewhere and get a new tire if needed. Since I found out after 30 years of hauling to 1. Check pressure daily 2. Grease bearings annually 3. Keep speeds down, I have never had a flat in over 10 years at several thousand miles a year.

Like the prior post said about donut spares, no intention to haul it a mile further than it would take to get to another Goodyear Endurance, made in USA tire!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I got rid of my China bomb Raineers after 2 seasons. I replaced them with the next rating up for a little more weight rating. I kept the one that had never been used (the original spare) as my spare. Why? Because I will take the camper somewhere and get a new tire if needed. Since I found out after 30 years of hauling to 1. Check pressure daily 2. Grease bearings annually 3. Keep speeds down, I have never had a flat in over 10 years at several thousand miles a year.

Like the prior post said about donut spares, no intention to haul it a mile further than it would take to get to another Goodyear Endurance, made in USA tire!
The tire under the rig is a E rated Goodyear Endurance. The tires mounted on the ground are G rated Goodyear 614RST's.
Millredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #6

The tires on my previous TV [Silverado 1500] were 19" but the factory spare was an 18". I think the bottom line is that a spare is intended for temporary use and not included in a tire rotation plan.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millredone View Post
The tire under the rig is a E rated Goodyear Endurance. The tires mounted on the ground are G rated Goodyear 614RST's.
YEP, just like 2015 PINNACLE with G-614 option only spare was a chinese tire since Endurance wasn't out yet..
Old 03-06-2019, 12:25 PM   #8

On one hand, its a little annoying, but on the other hand they are trying to keep costs down. I miss the old days of painted steel rims and matching tires, so you could just swap out the flat tire, get it fixed and use that tire as the spare, and keep on trucking down the road.

Now, especially with the fancy aluminum rims, they want you to mount the spare tire, drive immediately to a tire shop and repair/replace the damaged tire, then move the spare tire back to the spare hanger and remount the fancy rim. A lot more work.

Still, its better than some trailers that don't even include a spare...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:04 PM   #9

I've seen limited use spare tires, but they were limited as to miles driven and speed, not weight carried. I think the OP has a valid complaint if the spare tire is not rated to carry the weight required at any of the axle positions on his trailer. The OP could file a NHTSA complaint at this web site: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
I've seen limited use spare tires, but they were limited as to miles driven and speed, not weight carried. I think the OP has a valid complaint if the spare tire is not rated to carry the weight required at any of the axle positions on his trailer. The OP could file a NHTSA complaint at this web site: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/.
But "if" it is the 255 Endurance, that has a higher load carrying capacity than the G-614. The "e" load range is designated on all the Endurance 16" tires. but the load capacity increases based on the 235/80, 235/85, 255/85.

The 255/85 has a load capacity of 4040 with the G-614 being 3,750. So just because he saw the "e" doesn't make it un-safe. The 235/85 is only 100 below at 3,650. So we really don't have all the info from the OP.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
I tend to agree with this statement. My F-250 has an identical spare as whats on the truck. My Eagle TT weighs more than my truck and I would expect the spare tire on it to be the same load range as all other tires which BTW, it is. I think most of the smaller vehicles that have a donut spare is because of limited space so no room for a normal size spare.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote