Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2022, 10:09 PM   #1

Dining Table Finish Repair

I'm not sure what kind of finishes Jayco uses for the dining tables in their various models but mine is some kind of wood stained with a dark cherry finish. It has scratched easily so we use placemats. We cooked an Instant Pot chili while we were in it last week and used Correlle ware bowls, which we sat on the place mats. The chili was rather warm but didn't give it much thought. When cleaning up we found white circles under the place mats where the bowls had sat. The stains are permanent. I have tried to get the stains out but short of sanding I see no way to do it.

To get the best results I'm thinking I will have to sand the whole thing (a real pain), re-stain and use a high quality polyurethane which will hopefully hold up. I have a fairly complete wood shop and did some professional wood working for my son-in-law's business for a while after I retired but I didn't do finishes. If anyone has any thoughts on what to do, thanks in advance.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:28 PM   #2

You could use the opportunity to add some personalization, maybe a map or pictures of your favorite park, maybe replace it with real piece of cherry wood. Build in a cribbage board…..
Old 06-03-2022, 12:28 PM   #3

Same thing happened to us but those white circles were removed with clorox wipes and dawn and soft scrub. I believe the wax (finish) gets heated and crystalizes probably. The only way I can think of to stop permanently is to sand complete, stain and coat with polyurethane. We are not there yet. If you do sand, remove (screws underneath) and use a belt sander.
Edutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 03:47 PM   #4

did the same thing to our house trailer...look on youtube...there was some process using an clothing iron to get them out ...if I remember correctly

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 05:51 AM   #5

I went to Lowe's and the paint guy color matched the stain with Valspar cabinet paint. I have a sprayer I used when we painted our house cabinets a few years ago so hopefully will get a good finish. We used the same paint on our house cabinets and it has been very durable.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:38 AM   #6

I set a bike drink bottle down on my table not realizing there was chain grease on the bottom and it left a ring stain. Tried patch staining it, but in the end I stripped and restained the whole table to properly fix it. I could never not notice the ring and it bothered the heck out of me.
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:49 AM   #7

It is finally finished, I hope, after a good sanding, one coat of Kilz primer, 2 coats of Valspar cabinet paint and 4 coats of Spar urethane.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_IMG_0395.jpg