Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2016, 07:17 AM   #1

Direct TV Genie

Looking for info from you Genie users. I have the HD receivers at home which I take with me camping. Direct TV is trying to get me to switch to the Genie. I have 3 receivers at home. My question is if I pull two of the mini receivers to take camping, does the one left at home still work and record. How do the mini's work alone? Can I hook them up to the satellite as I do now with the regular HD receivers? Just trying to figure out if I want to switch or not. Sometimes our daughter is staying at our house while we are camping and need to make sure she can still have tv at home if we pull two receivers out to take with us.
Thanks for any assistance.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:37 AM   #2
Site Team

The genie will not work the way you want it to. It is a slave to the master, like most of us!

You will have to purchase a separate, old type that will work independently and that will also power the dish as the old ones did.

That means another charge for the separate receiver.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:22 AM   #3

The Genie DVR is considered a "hub" of a whole home solution and has 5 internal tuners that receive the signal from the sat's, just like your current HD receivers do. The mini's that they most likely want to "upgrade" you to do NOT have their own internal tuners (why they are so small) and will NOT work on their own without the genie on the same setup because the just use one of the 5 tuners in the Genie to function. They also have their own issues and can be much "touchier" to get them to work correctly, especially in an RV setup.

So if you still want to upgrade to a Genie and be able to have all your receivers function independently of one another, no matter their physical location, you could just replace one of your current HD receivers with a Genie and keep the other two you already have that contain their own tuner. That way, no matter what combination of receivers (genie or HD receiver) you take with you, the others would continue to work at home. Also know that swapping out ANY of your current receivers would put you back into a 2 year agreement with DirecTV, if that matters at all.

Disclaimer: Although you "can" do this, just know that you are technically breaking your agreement with DirecTV if you use your service in the RV AND have someone at home watching as well. Even if it is on a temporary basis, it is what DirecTV considers account stacking and it is against your user agreement which could result in among other things, cancellation of service. [\end paranoia disclaimer].

We have a Genie HR44, 2 HD DVR's (HR24 and HR21) and three standard HD receivers (H25's). I usually take our HR44 Genie and one H25 for the bedroom/outside TV and our other DVR's at home continue to record and operate normally as do our other H25's even though no one is there to watch them.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #4

We are from south Louisiana, went to Savannah, Ga. hooked up Direct TV, caught everything except Savannah local channels, called Direct, we would have to switch area codes to catch Savannah local, but doing that means the back in Louisiana they won't be able to catch local channels in Louisiana. So we use antenna for local and Direct for everything else.
2012 Dodge 3500
US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population
rthibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthibodaux View Post
We are from south Louisiana, went to Savannah, Ga. hooked up Direct TV, caught everything except Savannah local channels, called Direct, we would have to switch area codes to catch Savannah local, but doing that means the back in Louisiana they won't be able to catch local channels in Louisiana. So we use antenna for local and Direct for everything else.
I have found that when I set up my receiver while camping after the unit has been off for awhile, I don't receive local channels. What I do is just push the red reset button and reset the receiver. When it starts back up, I have locals. The local channels are my local networks from where I live, not the local area. Would have to use an antenna for the locals in the area you are staying.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:27 PM   #6

DirecTv locals are spot-beamed. That is why when you travel outside the coverage of the spot-beam for your local DMA, they no longer come in. As a DirecTv provider, I can talk about the DMA's in my service area. The San Antonio DMA beam has about a 250 mile coverage around SA, Houston, Corpus Christi, and Austin is all very similar. I suspect the majority of the markets across the country have very similar coverage. The only markets that I am aware of that are still full conus broadcast is the New York City DMA and the Los Angeles, CA DMA. RV'ers can submit their RV registration to DirecTv with a RV affidavit and can get the New York and or Los Angeles markets which will cover the continental US. Other posters have covered the equipment pretty good. Advice I would give RV'ers is to get H24's for non DVR receivers because they will work with all the different dishes, H25's will only work with a SWM KA/KU Slimline dish. Also, I have never seen or heard of DirecTv having anything against RV's or vacation homes, they just will not service RV's (most of the time), and will only service equipment at the service address on record.
gaserv is offline   Reply With Quote