Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #1

Direct Tv question

Trying to put Direct Tv in new rv. My receivers in home are dvr,s. They do not have a satellite output on back. What do you use for Direct receivers? Years ago I had a simple one with satellite in jack and satellite out jack. Looks like new ones use the SWM system.
Flipper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #2

I have an 18" round dish on a tripod I carry. I have an older D12 reciever in the bedroom and and H24 in the living room. I did have to pull the panel where the outside shower is and remove the splitter and put in a barrel connector, run two coax cables from the lnb on the dish to the coach and use both the cable input and the sat input to get both online.
2002 Dodge 2500
2019 Ram 3500
Kevin and Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #3

If your LNB has one output, you have SWM and need one connection to a receiver and the correct connection is labeled SWM. You can split the cable coming from the SWM LNB with a proper SWM splitter to provide a cable to connect to another receiver. Some receivers can't power a SWM LNB and a separate power supply is required.

If you have an LNB with four outputs, a receiver needs two inputs from the LNB, one for each tuner in the receiver.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #4

We had the SWM mounted to our roof. I then bring my Genie which I hook up in master bedroom to that TV. We also use a wireless video bridge and 2 wireless receivers. Total of 3 TVs working in the RV. I keep duplicates of all cords and HDMI cables in RV and home, so when moving from one to the other, we just take the 4 electronic pieces. Works great!
Old 11-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #5

Most of the newer dvr's all have an hdmi output to the tv.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethcb View Post
We had the SWM mounted to our roof. I then bring my Genie which I hook up in master bedroom to that TV. We also use a wireless video bridge and 2 wireless receivers. Total of 3 TVs working in the RV. I keep duplicates of all cords and HDMI cables in RV and home, so when moving from one to the other, we just take the 4 electronic pieces. Works great!
How do you power your dish? My genie has no power and I have a power supply in a remote location. sure would hate to have to haul all that around every time.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:23 PM   #7

Just had the genie system installed in my home . direct tv let me keep my d12 receiver . when I go camping ,I call to have it turned on for $7 a month only cost me when I'm camping.
culleokapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:24 AM   #8

I also use a SWM setup with a Genie, wireless video bridge, and 1 wireless mini. However, I also add in an AM21 for OTA integration to the Genie program guide. That way, if I am in an area where OTA signals are sufficient, I don't have to call DirecTV to change my service address.

It seems like a lot, but I also went a step further and sort of modularized the entire setup and make it as quick and simple as possible.

The AM21, SWM splitter, power inserter, and a power strip are all mounted to a 1/2" piece of plywood and are permanently wired together so they can easily be moved in/out from behind the main RV TV if needed but that only happens when the trailer gets stored for an extended time. Otherwise, they are all ready to go.

As for the Genie and Wireless video bridge, they are the only two pieces of equipment that gets moved back and forth on a regular basis since you can only have one of each on a DirecTV account. So when we get ready to leave, I move the Genie and the wireless video bridge from the house and place them behind the living room TV, connect the two coax runs from the SWM splitter to the back of the bridge and the Genie, plug them into the power strip and turn the power strip on.

The wireless mini used for the bedroom/outside TV is stuck to the back of that TV with sticky back Velcro and is dedicated to that TV. The bedroom and outside mount is a Kebloc so it is easily moved from the bedroom to the outside under the awning. When the trailer gets stored, that TV goes into the house for use in the basement, guest room, or patio.