Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2015, 06:32 AM   #1

Direct TV traveler roof mounted satellite

Anyone added one of these to a jayco 5th wheel? We have a 2016 Northpoint 377RLBH. I have a portable dish, but I want to get the automatic one for the roof so all I have to do is hit a button.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:19 AM   #2

The rooftop mounts are great for when you are in the clear, but you will still need a dish to carry along anyway for when you are in shaded spots, which is quite often for me. I actually look for the shaded spots here in the south. Rooftop mount would not do me much good. Does not take long to set up my HD direct tv dish and I am off and running.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:43 AM   #3

I'll keep my current dish but we do a lot of overnight stop overs and I need something more convenient. I'll carry the portable one for when we are going to a area that might need that flexibility
Old 11-21-2015, 09:53 AM   #4

Thumbs up

We have a TT with a Travelr and love it. There are absolutely times when trees will not allow for a clear path to a signal, oh well. We use DVR in the TT so we usually have a enough content to get us through those times. When back home, we connect the TT to the home dish via a DTV outlet near our TT pad so the DVR can continue to capture content.

No more dealing with wind knocking out your alignment of the dish, or having to take up storage space with a dish. I remember one event where mosquitos were eating me up while the DW and I were using radios to align the dish. Deet wasn't helping enough. Anyway, those days are gone. On a trip to Teton/Yellowstone National Parks we pulled into Flagg Ranch RV campground in the pouring rain to set up. The sites are surrounded by tall lodge pole pine trees. Once leveled I always push the Winegard power up button to see if by some chance we get signal regardless of the tree situation. By the time we finished set up and had dry clothes on, we had signal to watch TV while we prepared dinner and waited out the storm. Those are the moments you hang your hat on and consider it worth the cost.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #5

How is it run into the inside of your RV?
Old 11-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #6

How is what? The traveler cables? Ours come down from the roof, into the entertainment center. Not pretty but television hides it all. Is that your question?

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #7

Yep. Trying to think how it will look in ours . The main TV is in a slide so I imagine it will have to near one of the other locations
Old 01-14-2016, 08:57 PM   #8

Anyone install one of these in a 5th wheel?
Old 01-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #9

Sure have.....did the install myself. Positioned the dish towards the front of the 5er. Ran the cables down the right side of the roof and used dicor sealant to attach them. Cut a small hole in the rear of the 5er (directly above the cabinet that is next to my TV). Ran the cables into the cabinet and out the side to the TV.
It really wasn't difficult at all and I really enjoy it. No problems at all (as of yet).
Rear View Safety Camera
Winegard Trav'ler DirectTV HD Model:SK-SWM3
Steadyfast Stabilizing System
Progressive Industries 50 AMP EMS
boyzx3iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #10

Since my direct tv receivers are wireless I can run it anywhere that I have a jack. My main TV is in a slide so that's not ideal. My bedroom TV has space between the cabinet and the roof so it would be visible. I'm thinking of trying to connect it in the bunk room tv and running it m into the the wall
Old 01-27-2016, 09:08 PM   #11

Depending on what wireless capable server you are using would depend on the size shelf or storage compartment you will need to house the H44, HR34, HR44, or HR54, and the video bridge. The Winegard Traveler for DirecTv is a SWM unit so you only need 1 coax from the dish to the splitter, power supply, or if the H44, or HR54 to the power port on those boxes. We have taken ceiling panels out where we do the external penetration in the roof and used fish rods to get where we need to go from there. Vent pipes are also a common way to get wire from the roof into the underbelly of a 5th wheel. As a certified installer of DBS equipment since DirecTv's and Dish Networks first years in the mid 90's, owning a few different RV's, and doing hundreds of installs in RV's, I've learned how RV manufactures do things and that has saved me a lot of time on figuring out how they ran the cable in a specific unit. I almost always have to redo all the connections on the coax, have to replace the "F-81" barrel connectors in penetration plates and wall plates to the higher frequency "F-81" connectors to eliminate network problems with the newer Dish and Directv boxes that operate at a higher frequency than the older technology. Good luck
gaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:21 PM   #12

I didn't even think about the vent pipe. That would be excellent as I could hook the coax up at the junction, just like with my portable dish now. How would I do the power control module for the roof dish? Run it down the vent pipe and just mount it in the front storage? Wouldn't be as convent of having it inside, but realistically I'm going to be in the front basement when I set up at a site either way.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:57 AM   #13

Check with JAYCO, the wiring may already be in the roof.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:45 PM   #14

Don't believe it's pre-wired, at least not on my TH. I had the Traveler SWM HD satellite installed on mine and have it in bedroom, living room and garage... I had one the 06 HR Presidential Suite...Never an issue and it's HiDef..love ours.
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
NC Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Hauler View Post
Don't believe it's pre-wired, at least not on my TH. I had the Traveler SWM HD satellite installed on mine and have it in bedroom, living room and garage... I had one the 06 HR Presidential Suite...Never an issue and it's HiDef..love ours.

How did they run it? Though the ceiling?

I saw nothing on the roof that would lead me to believe it's prewired. I did think about seeing if I could run the wires down through were the solar prewire is on the roof
Old 02-02-2016, 07:57 PM   #16

They fished wiring from above bed room to entertainment center in living room,
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
Old 02-03-2016, 07:21 AM   #17

When I ordered my 5ver, I had a Dish network traveler dish installed on the roof. The camper dealer did the install. Cables pass thru the roof then are hidden within. Three cables, one for each sleeping area and one for the living area. Thus far, I've only been one site where I could not receive signal. Once, I did move from one site to another in order to receive signal. I have dish at home and I just take my receivers out of the house when we go. I love it. Just push a button and you got TV.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoojs12840 View Post

I saw nothing on the roof that would lead me to believe it's prewired. I did think about seeing if I could run the wires down through were the solar prewire is on the roof
You won't necessarily see anything. If it is JAYCO will tell you where to access the wiring. On our 08 SENECA nothing was marked, but the wires were right above one of the ceiling lights.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You won't necessarily see anything. If it is JAYCO will tell you where to access the wiring. On our 08 SENECA nothing was marked, but the wires were right above one of the ceiling lights.
We called Jayco about ours, and only pre-wiring done for satellite was where you plugged in for satellite connection... Nothing in roof, but they gave information as to where to locate the unit.
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet