Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #1

DirecTV Connection Question

We have 2015 Pinnacle 36FBTS and have DirecTV at home with Genie and extra receivers, all wired. We are installing a dish on the roof of the trailer. Our plan is to disconnect the home devices and move them to the trailer when we travel My question is, do we have to install cables from the satellite to all 3 TV locations (living room, bedroom, outside) or are they pre-wired from the factory? Our trailer is in storage and we have not been able to go see what connections it has.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethcb View Post
We have 2015 Pinnacle 36FBTS and have DirecTV at home with Genie and extra receivers, all wired. We are installing a dish on the roof of the trailer. Our plan is to disconnect the home devices and move them to the trailer when we travel My question is, do we have to install cables from the satellite to all 3 TV locations (living room, bedroom, outside) or are they pre-wired from the factory? Our trailer is in storage and we have not been able to go see what connections it has.
Although coax cable is generally compatible with most any type of signal a receiver uses (TV/cable, satellite, antenna), the other components used when manufacturing your RV are generic in nature or are tailored to be used with the pre-installed antenna or a standard cable connection and "can" introduce issues when being used with "proprietary" signals and power requirements that DirecTV uses with their newer Genie SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) setups. Things such as non power passing splitters and amplifiers are the usual culprits that cause issues. All I can suggest is to try it and see, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work like you want it to, or at all.

I use my Genie and two other receivers from our house in our TT. Because of the components used in our trailer when manufactured, I ended up having to install all new coax runs using compatible components with the SWM technology before it all worked like it should. I felt that was a better option than trying to track down and modify the existing coax setup and possibly affect/break the cable/sat/antenna setup that came from the factory just to get my DirecTV to work right.

Good Luck!
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #3

Thanks for the fast response. If it doesn't work, we can run extra cables or a less expensive option ($100) is to convert the receivers to wireless.
I know the Pinnacle is "wired for satellite," just not sure if it goes to all 3 TV places.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #4

We have the FBTS and the same directv set up you do. We purchased a Winegard carry out 2 dish. I did not want the hassle of carrying a receiver from the house then back in and doing all of the connections. Also,having to reprogram the receiver for the different satellite dish. I called Directv and they sent out a tech to install a compatible receiver for my portable dish. It sets on the counter above the fireplace. He did have to install some "gizmo" where the antenna booster switch is. He did change the remotes to operate on RF. All of the tvs get the same channel and do not get my home local channels because of my dish. I can put tvs on Directv and another on antenna at the same time. I think it costs me about $24. A month for the additional receiver. They do let me turn it off during the winter and then back on in the spring to save some money. Hope this helps.
R&TB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:05 AM   #5

We actually don't mind moving the genie and the remotes to the RV and that way we also have all the DVR recordings from home to watch when on the road. How involved is the programming each time you move the genie? I thought we could just plug it in w the cable, HDMI and power cords.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:15 AM   #6

I think it is just a matter of using the remote and going to the directv settings and changing it to the dish you have on the FBTS. Then changing it back to what you have at home when you bring it back in. You might want to contact directv to make sure your current receiver is compatible with the dish on your trailer. I think that was another reason I got another receiver.
R&TB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #7

Quote:
How involved is the programming each time you move the genie? I thought we could just plug it in w the cable, HDMI and power cords.
If you are using the C41 type "mini" receivers (wired or wireless) at the remote TV's then you only need to check to make sure the Genie is setup with the new dish. Depending on what LNB you have at home, you may or may not need to repeat the satellite setup. If you do, it is not difficult to do.

Grab the remote and go to .....Menu, Settings, Satellite, Repeat Satellite Setup.

According to the online installation manual I found, you need to make sure the drop down menus read as follows: 01:SWM and 17:Slimline 3S (SWM). "Continue" thru the prompts and you can skip the remote setup because you should be taking those with you as well since they are already programmed for each receiver. At that point, you should be ready to go.

NOTE: You might also want to check the current settings before moving the Genie and write down the current settings in case you need to change them when you move the receivers back to the house.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TB View Post
I think it is just a matter of using the remote and going to the directv settings and changing it to the dish you have on the FBTS. Then changing it back to what you have at home when you bring it back in. You might want to contact directv to make sure your current receiver is compatible with the dish on your trailer. I think that was another reason I got another receiver.
They just need to make sure they get a rooftop RV dish that is SWM compatible, otherwise the Genie will NOT work. The only roof mounted dish that is SWM compatible that I know of is.....

Winegard TRAVLER Auto Satellite DIRECTV SL3 Dish w/ SWM (SK-SWM3) from Solid Signal
Old 05-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #9

Yes, that is the dish we r buying. I just ordered a cable schematics from jayco.
bethcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:29 PM   #10

When you get the schematics from Jayco. Would you update this thread with what you find out. I have a Eagle on order and am going to put the same Winegard unit on the roof and have been trying to figure out how I am going to wire it?
Old 05-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #11

They sent me the schematics immediately via email but unfortunately, that's the only place I can view it. When I go to save the document on my MAC its unreadable. I printed a copy from a PC and it is very light and almost unreadable too. My suggestion is just to call them and speak to customer service. They were very nice and responded immediately. I have attached what they sent me but not sure if it will be readable.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #12

As a follow up, we decided to convert to the wireless genie system. Don't have to add more cables. Will get dish installed in a few weeks. Hopefully it all works as planned!
Old 05-07-2016, 05:54 AM   #13

Quote:
As a follow up, we decided to convert to the wireless genie system. Don't have to add more cables. Will get dish installed in a few weeks. Hopefully it all works as planned!
We considered doing that but what we record to watch later all seems to be on at the same time and we need as many tuners in the Genie as we can get to make sure everything gets recorded. We kept the wired receivers that have their own tuners (H25's). Whatever works, right?

Good Luck with your install.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:40 PM   #14

I am looking to put the Winegard SK-SWM3 Slimline Automatic Multi-Satellite TV Antenna on my 2016 Pinnacle. Does anyone know if there are issues I should know about? I has a curved roof as well.
oriolehawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:07 PM   #15

I just purchase the Winegard Directv SWM3. I am getting it installed this week. Can the coax from the antenna connect directly to my satellite input or tap into the cable distribution box that runs to all of the TV's? I believe it should but Camping World thinks I need to run separate lines. I have a 2016 Pinnacle 38 FLSA. Not sure if it is sat ready or not.
oriolehawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:00 PM   #16

Oriole Hawaii, I installed the swim in my 355 using the existing wiring. My dish is on the roof. The cabling comes down through the roof and follows a vent pipe in the bathroom into the pass through storage. A shelf was built in the pass through storage for the control box and the power inserted. On the backside of your dock station I removed the coax for satellite and auxiliary and connected those to the directtv splitter. I left the cable TV coax connected in case we ever want to use that in a RV park. By doing the install this way I saved having to run Coax to each of three locations. I still have the over the air channels on one Coax drop and directtv on the other in each room. What I lost was the ability to connect to the external side of my docking station to satellite and auxiliary so I just capped those two off. It was easier to just have the winegard controller and power inserter in the pass through storage which eliminated the need to run that controller cabling in the wall to the living room slide.

I'm typing this on my phone. If you need more help message me and I can try to explain better.

Remember that each cable has to go to an individual drop from the splitter and unused drops need the resistor installed.

It was simple and aside from having the winegard control box in the coach it was exactly how I wanted it.

I told directtv I needed two more boxes one for my garage and the other for a spare bedroom. They just added those to my home account rather than a separate account for my RV. I just moved them to the RV once the installer left.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk