Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2021, 12:09 AM   #1

Disappointment Abound

Hi we are new to the RV world. Ordered a 2021 Pinnacle 32RLTS with a bunch of options including full body paint. It was surprisingly delivered 3 weeks early without the paint. Originally swayed to buy the Jayco over the Van Leigh to begin with for the paint and warranty. So disappointed.

Not taking delivery, I think that Jayco should have it painted.

Should I be worried about Jayco's quality control?

Also, I had the generator option and when I saw the exhaust pipe, my initial thought was somebody made a mistake. Looks terrible. Is that normal for generator exhaust pipes?

Any thoughts?
wlcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 03:18 AM   #2

Welcome from WA and congrats. All of the factory are going to have issue, Montana, Van Leigh, Grand Design pick one so yeah they are going to have issue.

I agree spending that kind of money is not acceptable, Jayco quality is really pretty good but like I said all of them have flaws. The one thing is that you didn't buy it but I would ask them what are they going to do about it. They should if they want to sell it make it right though.

As far as the exhaust pipe it will come out the side but if it is bent or damage they should fix it or go somewhere else and buy.

My wife and I we look at the Pinnacle 32RLTS and wish we could have bought one but maybe our next one. Please do keep us posted to see what are they going to do.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:57 AM   #3

Without knowing what the exhaust pipe looks like it's impossible to know if it's normal. But generally it's not a chrome tipped bit of bling that makes any unit look better. It's a round steel tube.

I wonder if that unit was yours or one shipped as inventory and they were hoping that you would take it. This is the first early shipment so perhaps some of the components are arriving.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I wonder if that unit was yours or one shipped as inventory and they were hoping that you would take it.
That would be the dealer since JAYCO does not produce or ship unless they have a specific order. Nothing leaves their lot until they get the check from the dealer.

Sounds like somebody didn't check the box for the full body paint. Does the MSRP sheet show the Full Body Paint? If not the dealer should have caught it before it even shipped.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcharles View Post
Hi we are new to the RV world. Ordered a 2021 Pinnacle 32RLTS with a bunch of options including full body paint. It was surprisingly delivered 3 weeks early without the paint. Originally swayed to buy the Jayco over the Van Leigh to begin with for the paint and warranty. So disappointed.

Also, I had the generator option and when I saw the exhaust pipe, my initial thought was somebody made a mistake. Looks terrible. Is that normal for generator exhaust pipes?

Any thoughts?
I have a 321 RSTS 2017 model---- and I have had a of problems-- and serious ones at that--if you want I can PM you my #, its just to much to list. If you are at a point were you can hit a pause button-- to rethink your situation I would. If you want to know the issues That I have fixed, in warranty and out of pm me, I have pictures ----- of most of the issues and the fixes, it ranges from wiring being loose to having to pay to have the slide taken out and off the unit to relevel to replacing the slide rollers with after market units, and the list goes on and on, and you wont be bothering me at all. Hit the pause Button----- re evaluate . I have been working on my unit since Aug of last yr, in a couple of days I will be finished-- its been a long haul fixing everything I can tell ya, thank goodness I am retired and good with tools---
Puddle Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:51 AM   #6

I agree with PuddlePirate - make sure what you want to do here. My 2018 spent 15 months of the first two years in the shop for warranty issues. Combination of initial delivery issues and dealer apathy. After the warranty was up, I lived in it for 6 weeks this fall to actually fix the various issues that still existed. so 2.5 years in, and just now have a unit I can 'trust'. Still have a few small issues to address too.
atlantaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That would be the dealer since JAYCO does not produce or ship unless they have a specific order. Nothing leaves their lot until they get the check from the dealer.

Sounds like somebody didn't check the box for the full body paint. Does the MSRP sheet show the Full Body Paint? If not the dealer should have caught it before it even shipped.
I would put my money on this as well. It happened to me. Dumb salesman put the order in wrong and my brand new unit showed up improperly configured. He spent so much time bugging me about how detail oriented and well researched I was, that he dropped the ball on one of the easiest jobs someone could do. I was literally handing him my money and telling him exactly what I wanted, but it was just too much to enter the info correctly. I refused delivery on that unit and a new, proper one was built and shipped within a matter of a couple weeks on a rush order.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:51 AM   #8

Thanks everybody for your replies. I appreciate it. Jayco and Dealer say they will come up with options for me to consider.
As far as the exhaust pipe is concerned, I think, it is what it is. If we keep this rig Im going to call Cummins to see what the required safety dimensions are for proper install.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:53 AM   #9

Thanks, I don't think it was shipped as inventory because all other options that we selected were installed.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:54 PM   #10

Quote:

In general you should be worried about quality control for any new RV. You definitely do not want to accept it until it is right.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:16 PM   #11

If you ordered a NEW RED truck and factory delivered a New BLUE truck would you still buy it ?? I would tell RV Dealer No Full Paint NO Deal. Full paint my RV then we have a deal. If Dealer says No tell him to Go Fly a Kite. Also DO NOT SIGN Any Paperwork until he Paints your RV...Talk and Promises are Cheap, but Results are expensive. Also Do Not leave RV Dealers lot until you spend at least 1 night in it. And make out a list of things that need fixing. This way Dealer can make you wait 3 weeks for repairs . As long as RV never leaves his lot you have the Upper Hand Advantage...(ask me how I know I am on my #5 Motorhome, learned many lessons on my #1 RV purchase.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida ranger View Post
if you ordered a new red truck and factory delivered a new blue truck would you still buy it ?? I would tell rv dealer no full paint no deal. Full paint my rv then we have a deal. If dealer says no tell him to go fly a kite. Also do not sign any paperwork until he paints your rv...talk and promises are cheap, but results are expensive. Also do not leave rv dealers lot until you spend at least 1 night in it. And make out a list of things that need fixing. This way dealer can make you wait 3 weeks for repairs . As long as rv never leaves his lot you have the upper hand advantage...(ask me how i know i am on my #5 motorhome, learned many lessons on my #1 rv purchase.

what he said ^^^^^
Puddle Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:06 PM   #13

I have the same unit. 32RLTS, full body paint, and many options. Including the generator. During PDI I asked them to fix the exhaust pipe. Thinking, this is not right.

They followed up with Jayco. It was correct.

I dont like the exhaust. Once I get a few other upgrades complete. I plan to redo the exhaust.
RDTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:09 PM   #14

Thanks everyone for your input. Had to reorder but Jayco and the dealer gave us a little bit of a discount. So hopefully I'll have my rig, properly painted, in about 2.5 months.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:13 PM   #15

The full body paint on my Jayco Precept was shown on the invoice at $12,580.00 total plus $2500.00 for Diamond shield coat protection. Not a small omission to overlook.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:16 PM   #16

Good. FLORIDA RANGER is correct in everything he said!!!
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #17

2020 North Point 383FKWS

I refused delivery of my first 5th wheel. Wasn’t what I ordered. It was a fight, but Jayco and Dealership came together, and built another unit to what was expected. Took an additional 3 months to get the 2nd unit, but it was closer to what I expected. Not saying there hasn’t been a lot of issues, but the first unit was just unacceptable.

Work with the dealer and Do Not take delivery until everything is right. It’s twice as hard to get things done after delivery.
USNMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:20 PM   #18

VIN on new unit

Did you get a copy of the build sheet, did the dealer notify you when it was "on the line, to be built". If so those documents would have the options ordered and the VIN as soon as it started on the assembly line. Look at those documents (dealer has them) and make sure the unit they are trying to push off on you matches the VIN for the order sheet. If the VIN matches, dealer did not select that option on the original build request. If the VIN does not match, ask where your unit is and when it will arrive. Either way, you ordered a specific unit with the options you wanted, accept nothing less.... unless you are okay with and and they discount the cost of the Full Body Pain (about 12k). You can buy an exhaust tip from Amazon or an auto-parts store, that will slip over (and tighten down) the factory (ugly, cheap looking) tip.
ArneyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:21 PM   #19

Good news. FLORIDA RANGER is correct in everything he said!!! That being said, Jayco has always been good to us, so inspect, inspect again, and enjoy.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Yes, the assembly of my fifth wheel just seemed rushed. On top of that I've had a lot of issues with the Dometic brand appliances they installed. I've had issues with the fridge, furnace, and water heater.
Cujonaut is offline   Reply With Quote