Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #1

disassemble glass light fixture

Click image for larger version

Name:	eagle light.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	45970

I have these glass light fixtures in my 2017 Eagle. I wanted to take the wall mounted one off to clean it because some dead bugs had collected in the base. I tried to unscrew the bulb with no luck. The bulb and glass globes will spin around but don't come apart. Has anyone been able to get these to come apart?
2016 GMC 3500 Denali CC D/A
Dave&Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:26 AM   #2

I'll check mine when I go to my storage site.
Have you tried to pull the bulb straight out?
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:22 AM   #3

Bulb might be like the automotive bulbs where you just push and turn 90/180* to remove it. The globe itself may have a set screw to hold it in place.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:44 AM   #4

I have the same ones in my unit. I couldn't get the bulb out so the way I cleaned it was to use paper towel soaked in window cleaner and stuff in between the glass and the inside glass. Would love to hear if someone was able to remove the bulb and how it is done.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Vivian View Post
Attachment 45970

I have these glass light fixtures in my 2017 Eagle. I wanted to take the wall mounted one off to clean it because some dead bugs had collected in the base. I tried to unscrew the bulb with no luck. The bulb and glass globes will spin around but don't come apart. Has anyone been able to get these to come apart?
x2, I would also like to know.
gorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:42 AM   #6

I have the same ones in my 2017. My last trip when we got home one of the lights hanging over the kitchen table was hanging by the wires. The washer that was inside of the base actually broke through the housing. I ended up having to turn all the power off and cut the wiring when everything was undone because there was no way to undo it and not there was not much extra wiring to play with.

I ended up ditching the outer glass shield (pretty heavy glass wise) and built a small light with just the inner glass piece and hardware that remained. Looks pretty nice now and is alot lighter relatively speaking. Pretty poor design from Jayco.

I then looked at the side mounted light and seen a dead moth in the bottom. Couldnt figure out how to take that apart so I just left it for now. Total time spent fixing there sin was about 1 hour. But when I did have the lights apart over the table the inside light unit was a LED and was glued together and was unscrewable. I wasnt able to get the side wall light apart so I just left it as it.

Next time I am at my 5er I will take a pic of what I did incase this happens to anyone else.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
I then looked at the side mounted light and seen a dead moth in the bottom. Couldnt figure out how to take that apart so I just left it for now. Total time spent fixing there sin was about 1 hour. But when I did have the lights apart over the table the inside light unit was a LED and was glued together and I was unable to get it apart so I just left it as it.

Thanks Jim. I'm not having any luck removing the bulb either. Don't understand why they would glue it in place.
As for the wall light, I removed that from the wall and turned it upside down and shook the bugs out.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Vivian View Post
Thanks Jim. I'm not having any luck removing the bulb either. Don't understand why they would glue it in place.
As for the wall light, I removed that from the wall and turned it upside down and shook the bugs out.

Dead bugs still in mine. But good to know you can turn it upside down to shake them out. I am guessing the lack of bulb replacement is due to it being 12V and a LED. But they sure didnt try to make it easy to work on.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #9

Here is what I ended up with after the fixture broke through the ceiling plate. I used most but not all of the fittings and got rid of the real heavy outer glass shade (that we always hit our heads on) and made it smaller. Jayco really didnt think this one out for working on it down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
20181216_123523_resized.jpg  
Old 12-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #10

Well a cold morning camping so I decided to clean out the side wall bug collector. Heres a picture to show you why you cant unscrew just the light bulb. I also ditched the heavy glass outer shield. Cheers
Old 12-23-2018, 11:50 AM   #11

Trying again tp post pics from cell phone and its fighting back.....the LED bulb is a sealed unit.
Attached Thumbnails
20181223_094629.jpg   20181223_100727.jpg  
Old 12-26-2018, 09:08 AM   #12

Thanks for posting the pics. Don't know where to find a replacement bulb if it ever gives out. Probably replace the whole fixture.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #13

Yep probably a good idea since they dont look that well made as is.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #14

We did what Jim Smyth did. The pendulum on the lights broke away and we ended up replacing with ones similar to Jim's and used LED bulbs.
twins89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #15

The socket that the light bulb screws into should have threads in the outside of the socket. There should be a nut that screws onto the socket that holds the glass. Be careful that the socket does not turn while removing the nut. If it does you’ve got a mess and you will need to remove the fixture from the ceiling. Then it should be easier to disassemble. Once the nut is off and you are ready to reassemble put some WD40 on a paper towel and rub the threads with it. This will help in removal next time.
felshurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:34 PM   #16

Our 2018 had the same thing happen, one base oil canned and the light was hanging by the wires and swung it the other and broke. The dealer sent replacements and I reinforced the new bases so I hope it doesn't happen again. But the bulbs are one piece and do not come apart.
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:09 PM   #17

When we picked up our 321 RSTS, the dealer told us that all the light fixtures are one piece LEDs that should exceed the life of the trailer and are not designed with a removable/replaceable bulb.
Horizons28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:46 AM   #18

These do not come apart at all. I checked with a dealer after completely disassembling mine above the table and wires were hanging down, husband had to remount it. I was told just to use a soft cloth over something bendable (I used a rubber spatula) to stick in it to clean it.
BBFRANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:53 AM   #19

Dave, did you keep the outside shade or toss it. I'm looking to replace mine. I like the look of the two shades together, although they are a pain in the rump to clean. I cannot find a replacement on internet anywhere.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:59 AM   #20

Jim Smyth,

I'm wanting to replace the outer light shade that you "ditched". Did you happen to keep it, I would gladly purchase it from you.

BBFRANK