Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2019, 07:43 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
This evening I did my test run and burnished in the brakes. They burnished in good, pic attached. I did about 20 burnish events. I barely made it out of the driveway and squealed the tires when I worked the manual brake. I have all kinds of brakes now. I did a 27 mile trip. I was burnishing the brakes so I didn't do hardly any stopping with the truck. So I don't know if I have a delay or how much. The little I used the truck brakes I didn't notice anything. Once back home I rechecked my lug torque and inspected for leaks. Even had time to install the automatic transfer switch for my inverter.

I never had brakes like I do now on this trailer! Even when new and empty, it didn't brake for crap. I'm excited to see how they do with normal braking and stopping.

We leave this weekend for a 3.5 hour trip to a state park for labor day weekend. So I will get a good feel of the system. Will be all hills and mountains with some highways.

I also included some pics of the Hydrastar actuator and the 7-way junction I used for the actuator. If you notice the two brass couplers on the pex, that's cause I drilled into them. Lol I measured and apparently was off, cause my drill bit came up between the two pex lines and chewed a notch in both. Pulled the drill down and water ran on me. Insert lots of cuss words. But I got the hole for the brake line and I was able to repair the pex easily.

Earl

Very nice job my friend. Let us know how the trip goes this weekend. The more I use my trailer the worse I notice the brakes. Thank God for the Exhaust brake.
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:50 PM   #42

Fantastic job! Would love to do the conversion on my fifth wheel. But being a 2008, I don't know if it's worth the expense.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:50 PM   #43

Very nicely done Earl! You’re going love the new stopping power and kick yourself for not doing it sooner. Enjoy your trip!

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #44

Tom - Did you do your conversion with the brake line and tubing kit that came with the kit you bought? Or did you also eventually "customize" the brake lines?

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:12 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
Tom - Did you do your conversion with the brake line and tubing kit that came with the kit you bought? Or did you also eventually "customize" the brake lines?

I used the parts that came with the kit. Haven’t felt the need to customize it....yet. [emoji3]

Old 08-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #46
Site Team

Happy camping, Tom. Enjoy the journey!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:43 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witt74 View Post
Fantastic job! Would love to do the conversion on my fifth wheel. But being a 2008, I don't know if it's worth the expense.
Definitely worth it! It's investment in you and your family, not the trailer. Trailer doesn't care if it stops or not. Also if you buy another unit with the same axle sizes, you can take the disc brake system with you. You'd just run new lines. Provided you saved your drum brakes to put back on.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:53 AM   #48

Earl,
Congratulations on your brake conversion. My brother and I did mine two years ago. The results were dramatic! One thing for sure I have no regrets regarding the expense. One accident avoided more than justifies their cost. Just wanted to tell you to be sure and take your torque wrench with you on your upcoming trip. On our first trip out I found several lugs that had loosened in the first few hundred miles. I think I checked them several times during that first day out. Once they were torqued again I have never found them where they had loosened up.
Honsinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:02 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honsinja View Post
Earl,
Congratulations on your brake conversion. My brother and I did mine two years ago. The results were dramatic! One thing for sure I have no regrets regarding the expense. One accident avoided more than justifies their cost. Just wanted to tell you to be sure and take your torque wrench with you on your upcoming trip. On our first trip out I found several lugs that had loosened in the first few hundred miles. I think I checked them several times during that first day out. Once they were torqued again I have never found them where they had loosened up.
Yep, I keep my torque wrench in the basement all the time. With lug centric wheels, they tend to need a retorque or two after being disturb.

Earl
Old 09-02-2019, 07:39 PM   #50

First trip on the new disc brakes.

I now have more brakes than I need! I went from heavy electric 10/10 gain setting with no brakes to heavy EOH 7/10 gain setting. Even at 7 it's really strong. Several times I had locked the wheels and had to keep dropping the gain down. I started at 9/10. Couldn't lock the wheels on loose gravel with the electric drum brakes.
As far as delay, it feels the same as electric drum brakes, a very slight delay I've always noticed on all electric drum brakes. When I touch the brake pedal I actually feel the trailer lead a bit as I like. The electric, didn't feel anything but the trailer pushing. Except at low speeds like under 40mph. That's the only time I could even feel any trailer braking.
I'm very pleased with the Kodiak disc kits and the Hydrastar actuator. It all works beautifully! Money and time well spent for my family's safety.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Old 09-08-2019, 06:44 PM   #51

Had another trip. Has now been 350 miles since the conversion. All is well. Performs awesome!

Earl
Line-X premium
Old 09-08-2019, 06:49 PM   #52

Quote:
Had another trip. Has now been 350 miles since the conversion. All is well. Performs awesome!

Earl

Glad to hear it. So looks like this system is better in everyway.
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:55 PM   #53
Site Team

Quote:

Earl
Sounds like all your hard work has paid off. Good to hear that made it better than new!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #54

Update: On the interstate traffic yesterday the traffic came to a sudden unexpected stop. I was rolling at 70 and had all kinds of brakes. Too much, I caused a huge tire smoke cloud and lots of squealing. Also had another emergency braking event and made some tire smoke. I lowered my gain a notch.
Had I still had electric brakes I would of had to ditch it as those brakes did nothing at highway speeds. As in full gain and full manual couldn't feel them bad. Will never have electric brakes on any heavy trailer. I've seen the light and experienced the difference. Hell with cheap outdated electric drum brakes.

Earl
Line-X premium
Old 10-19-2019, 12:47 PM   #55

Good for you Earl! I feel the same way...will only have disc brakes on any trailer/camper from now on.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #56

I would love to put disks on. My brakes stink.
Low speed traffic back up and I almost couldn’t stop.

I would do it but I don’t know how long I would keep the trailer for and I wouldn’t get anything back out of having disks on if I traded it in.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I would love to put disks on. My brakes stink.
Low speed traffic back up and I almost couldn’t stop.

I would do it but I don’t know how long I would keep the trailer for and I wouldn’t get anything back out of having disks on if I traded it in.
Great investment if even short term. Also you could keep your old brakes and put the electric back on it before trade or selling it and put the disc system on the next trailer.

Earl
Old 10-20-2019, 07:02 PM   #58

I would Love to do discs as well. You can’t felt the brakes at all. Gain all the way up on my factory brake controller but I discovered on my last trip that they will lockup if I use the manual control.

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:09 PM   #59

Update, I'm down to 6.5/10 gain on my controller. Was still skidding at times.

No issues to date. Even at 6.5 gain, she brakes excellent.

I have since replaced the tires with the same, US made Goodyear Endurance. Replaced the leaf springs from 6k 4-leaf to 7k 6-leaf. Added Roadmaster shock kits. Replaced the Morryde 3000s and wet bolt kit with the same, Morryde. She rides way better. My OE springs were loosing their curve under load, flatting out.

Earl
Line-X premium
Old 01-31-2021, 10:03 AM   #60

Quote:
Update, I'm down to 6.5/10 gain on my controller. Was still skidding at times.

No issues to date. Even at 6.5 gain, she brakes excellent.

I have since replaced the tires with the same, US made Goodyear Endurance. Replaced the leaf springs from 6k 4-leaf to 7k 6-leaf. Added Roadmaster shock kits. Replaced the Morryde 3000s and wet bolt kit with the same, Morryde. She rides way better. My OE springs were loosing their curve under load, flatting out.

Earl
Hi
So how many miles on trailer when you had to replace springs and bushings moryde cre 3000
Our trailer is 2017.. We have tripped from Sarnia Ont.... to Waco Texas, Sebring Florida and home. Then back to Sebring last winter. Small 2 hour trips local... Have about 5k on trailer... Going to check brakes when it warms up

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote