Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-14-2019, 11:37 PM   #21

Disc brakes

I had a performance trailer kit put on my Pinnacle. They wouldn't come to my location here in Colorado but I had someone put them on for me. I am so happy that I put them on. What a difference. No more trailer wiring fault warnings on my truck. Performance Trailer suggested I go to 8k bearings and lugs. So happy with the upgrade.
prbushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Would drive the costs up. What you paid didn't include the cost of discs. They try to stay competitive. Also disc aren't main stream yet on trailers. Will take many years yet. Some RV's and utility trailers do offer discs.

Earl
Also not all break controllers will work with the electric over hydraulic. I put a new controller in my truck a pretty good one, before I had heard about disk breaks on a trailer. I have been looking in to putting disk breaks on my North Point. The first thing I will need is a new controller. Go big or go home.
rogers81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:02 AM   #23

Disc brakes

My TV is a 2017 F350. My controller worked. Performance Trailer Braking set me up with everthing that I needed. The put together a great kit.
prbushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:20 AM   #24

Best upgrade ever, the stopping power is incredible. Braking is nice and smooth compared the drums, especially in traffic. After a trip to Florida and back to Michigan between the disc brakes, Aisin Transmission, and the exhaust brake it was amazing how smooth the trip was even while traversing the mountains.
73stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:06 AM   #25

I'm still waiting for the correct rotors to show up for mine. Been 3 weeks. My custom brake hoses are also being held up but I can always put on the ones that came with my kit.
One day I'll find out what it's like to have good brakes on a trailer.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:16 AM   #26

What happened with the rotors? I have been following your post, I love the fact that you had everything powder coated, nice touch!
I chose to use everything in the kit, expect I also went with the Timken bearings. I did take the time to install the rock guard over all of the steel lines as an insurance policy.

During the maiden voyage I was not impressed with stopping capability until I pressed hard on the pedal while entering the rest stop near your neck of the woods and all 4 wheels locked up, I now keep my bias set no higher then 9 and it stops flawlessly.

Good luck and keep the pictures coming
Old 03-27-2020, 12:26 PM   #27

Well, It was a very little bit on my end. When I got the kit I noticed that I had 2 rotors that were coated in dacromet with zinc plated studs. The other 2 rotors were coated with dacromet INCLUDING the studs. I didn't think too much about it at that time. When I got to the stage of installing my timken races I grabbed the first rotor with the zinc plated studs and swapped races. I grabbed the 2nd rotor which was one that was all dacromet coated and noticed a difference in the size of the stud head and the grease seal side of the rotor is manufactured differently. I flipped the rotor over and noticed the inside of the hub itself looks like its threaded. I also noticed the outer section of the hub where the dust cap gets pressed into is threaded also. The difference is the zinc plated studded rotors are Kodiak rotors and are stamped Kodiak right on the rotor. The 2 rotors that are all coated in dacromet are Titan rotors and come with thread in dust caps that can use grease for bearing lubrication or gear oil and do not have ANY identification stamped in them anywhere. I called Bill at stopyourtrailer.com who I bought the kit from and explained what was going on. He explained to me the difference between the rotors, that's how I know, and said I wanted the Kodiak rotors anyway and was working on getting me the replacements. That was back on 3/9 when I initially called him. The people at the company, that I won't name, "let go" of the contact he dealt with and nobody was taking over that person's accounts. Once he got in contact with someone there, which some of this people aren't the brightest bulbs in the pack either, finally got rotors sent out. The whole COVID thing is taking its toll on office people, warehouse people, shipping people, etc. So throw that into the mix it's taking a week to get rotors shipped from TN to MI and to add insult to injury when the shipment showed up, I only got one rotor, box 2/2. Box 1/2 never got delivered and that's been a week ago. Its floating around with FedEx somewhere. AND the rotor in box 2/2 IS THE WRONG ONE AGAIN! They sent another Titan rotor! Lol! Like I said, not the brightest bulbs in the pack. Lol!
I contacted Bill again and he's about ready to choke the life out of someone. He said HE was shipping me the correct rotors himself and would deal with the unnamed company himself. So here I sit still waiting for 2 rotors to arrive from florida. Like I said, shipping is a bit slower with the COVID thing out there, so I doubt I'll get them today, possible tomorrow but I ain't holding my breath on that, and most likely will see them next week.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:04 PM   #28

Another reason why I didn't want a "complete kit". Feel for ya Lake Huron! Also the kits seemed to be priced higher then buying the items separately. Especially when you shop around for components. Also like Lake found out, they use what they can get, when they can get it and probably the cheapest. Maybe even seconds or refurbished??

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:51 PM   #29

I bought the hydro star kit. Company was knowledgeable and always available for questions. Everything came all nicely packaged on a pallet. Only issue was one of the caliper brakes had to filed due to poor machining. Other then that everything was fine
Old 03-27-2020, 07:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
KYD got their labor for free by Etrailer........we should all be so lucky LoL!!!
Me too, best mod I've done to the 377. I wont have a large trailer without them again...etrailer was awesome!
Attached Thumbnails
20180316_122837.jpg   20180316_122848.jpg  
Slurugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #31

Jayco and Disc brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneTaylor View Post
I don't know about other manufactures, but Jayco can add them when building if you order a unit from the factory. We had our NP 315 outfitted with 8K axles and disk brakes and 17.5 tires at build.
I was just informed by the Jayco rep that Jayco no longer will do axle upgrades or the Hydraulic disc brakes. The customer is left to absorb that cost themselves. So disappointing!

Wondering why they do not care about the safety of the travelers.
TouringRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringRetirees View Post
I was just informed by the Jayco rep that Jayco no longer will do axle upgrades or the Hydraulic disc brakes. The customer is left to absorb that cost themselves. So disappointing!

Wondering why they do not care about the safety of the travelers.
Money and no one to force them. Isn't like the automotive industry that are under the eye of the government and insurance groups at all times.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:44 PM   #33

Anyone interested in a conversion kit needs to check out the classified ad I just posted in the parts and misc classified section.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote