Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2023, 06:46 AM   #1

Dish Playmaker

Not a Jayco issue but a Dish issue. My Playmaker will scan for satellites, clear view of sky and we'll have Dish for a while. Out of the blue it loses signal and then continue to makes this grinding noise in the satellite dish and won't go away until I disconnect or rescan. I can usually rescan with no issues and get reception again. Is my satellite dish defective? Anyone have any advice? Thanks.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 06:56 AM   #2

It sounds like the dish is failing. The grinding is likely the dish trying to re-acquire a signal. There are only plastic gears on the motor and they strip pretty easily.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 09:41 AM   #3
CAG

They are known for gear failure. There are replacement gears available and it is not hard to get it open to do the repair.

Do a Google search of the problem and you will find several YouTubes and repair for the unit.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 10:53 AM   #4
CAG

Old 05-25-2023, 04:30 PM   #5

Here's mine.
Attachment 88204
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20220902-222551_Twitter.jpg  
Old 05-25-2023, 07:08 PM   #6
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Here's mine.
Attachment 88204

Or you can spend a few dollars and fix it.

Old 05-25-2023, 11:03 PM   #7

I had similar problems and found my cable length was too long. I was using a 100’ RG6 jumper cable and constantly had problems loosing signal. After cutting the jumper cable down to a 50’ section problem went away.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 07:58 AM   #8
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
I had similar problems and found my cable length was too long. I was using a 100’ RG6 jumper cable and constantly had problems loosing signal. After cutting the jumper cable down to a 50’ section problem went away.
Yes that too and the instructions say that. Voltage drop is too great with long coax.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:30 AM   #9

Although this is not the answer to your question, it might be cheaper for you to just buy the satellite stand from amazon and install a real dish satellite. The stand cost $40-50. The dish satellite can be free since most homes do not use it anymore. I used to have the Dish Playmaker. I would always lose the signal because I tend to an RV site covered with trees. One of the Class A RV campers showed me a better way.
cgalutera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 01:20 PM   #10
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalutera1 View Post
Although this is not the answer to your question, it might be cheaper for you to just buy the satellite stand from amazon and install a real dish satellite. The stand cost $40-50. The dish satellite can be free since most homes do not use it anymore. I used to have the Dish Playmaker. I would always lose the signal because I tend to an RV site covered with trees. One of the Class A RV campers showed me a better way.

Good advice if you have the room to store all of that. My problem with the Sat and stand was spending the time aiming it and getting it situated for all sats. Like many, I went to the Tailgator for ease of set up. Most class A models have systems that do all of the work for you.

Old 05-26-2023, 01:32 PM   #11

The manual method is actually pretty easy after many uses. All it took was a compass and a $10 signal meter. I was doubtful at first. I took the dish off the side of my house and took my chances. After 2 or 3X, it came very easy. The storage was not an issue. The dish is inside the RV while in transit. Once camped, I take it out.

When I return home, I place the dish back on the wall of the house. I use the same receiver in the RV and connect it to my TV at home. From there I can use the rest of my subscription til the end of the month.
cgalutera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 01:37 PM   #12
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalutera1 View Post
The manual method is actually pretty easy after many uses. All it took was a compass and a $10 signal meter. I was doubtful at first. I took the dish off the side of my house and took my chances. After 2 or 3X, it came very easy. The storage was not an issue. The dish is inside the RV while in transit. Once camped, I take it out.

When I return home, I place the dish back on the wall of the house. I use the same receiver in the RV and connect it to my TV at home. From there I can use the rest of my subscription til the end of the month.

Obviously you had better luck at it than I in 30 years of RVing, and 15 or more using your method, if you want DISH HD it takes three Sats and I spent more time fooling with it than it was worth, especially in very windy locations. And finding storage in a Class C is an issue.