Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #1

Disillusioned

Our 2017 Northpoint 375 has been at the dealer for warranty work for going on 5 weeks. I posted here about the incident where one of the arms under the large kitchen slide came loose and gouged our tire while we were towing. We luckily stopped at a rest area, where DH tied the arm up so we could at least limp it to the dealer.

The dealer/service department never called us to let us know what they found or what the status of the warranty claim was. We had to call them. Several times. It was always some song and dance about the delay. Finally, I called Jayco directly. Miraculously, things started moving forward, albeit slowly.

We got the general manager of the RV department at the dealer involved, and he made excuses about turn-over in the service department. Okay.

He promised to maintain clear lines of communication. That was 2 weeks ago. Yesterday, I texted him and let him know that we haven't heard anything but crickets since we spoke to him last.

He said he would have the service manager call us "shortly."

The service manager actually did try to contact us, but he called on our landline, and we weren't home (which I thought I'd made clear to the general manager, but whatever).

Anyway, they got the parts and the new tire. They fixed the broken slide arm, but then found grease in our brake drums (a story I've heard on this forum many times). Now they have to take all the wheels off and send photos to the axle manufacturer to get the ball rolling on that.

All of this after just 4 short trips this spring/summer (we bought it new in April of this year).

We've missed our last trip of the season, and we're just wondering what's going to go wrong next, and when we'll get the rig back. We've already had frost here, although not a hard freeze yet, so there's the winterizing issue hanging over our heads, too.

Just wanted to vent, I guess. I'm aware that they build these things very quickly, and I now know the 2-year warranty basically will just entail getting things fixed at the dealer that should have been done right the first time at the factory (if we're lucky).
2016 Ford F350 Platinum DRW with 5th wheel prep package, Diesel, 4 x 4
glitelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #2

I would be very frustrated as well, but you just reinforced the issue is usually with the dealer..

As to the brakes, the entire axle assembly comes complete from either Lippert or Dexter all JAYCO does is attach them to the frame and add the tires. Since the brake drums are not removed JAYCO has no way of knowing about excessive grease.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
As to the brakes, the entire axle assembly comes complete from either Lippert or Dexter all JAYCO does is attach them to the frame and add the tires. Since the brake drums are not removed JAYCO has no way of knowing about excessive grease...
Perhaps Jayco has, will, or should contact the axle supplier and have a results oriented conversation with them about predelivery grease seal selection and greasing procedures. Surely Jayco does not want unnecessary problems to inconveneience customers; even if they are caused by a supplier they are Jayco's to fix and Jayco's customers are disillusioned.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Perhaps Jayco has, will, or should contact the axle supplier and have a results oriented conversation with them about predelivery grease seal selection and greasing procedures. Surely Jayco does not want unnecessary problems to inconveneience customers; even if they are caused by a supplier they are Jayco's to fix and Jayco's customers are disillusioned.
They probably have, but it's probably a 1 in 500 or more that have the problem. That is one reason the claim goes back to the axle company as referenced.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:49 PM   #5

I would hope that the dealer will winterize it for you at no charge. It would be the nice thing to do....
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:38 PM   #6
Site Team

Either way, I would make sure it gets winterized for you and the dealers satisfaction.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
I would hope that the dealer will winterize it for you at no charge. It would be the nice thing to do....
The general manager has actually offered this, but, on last update, the service manager couldn't say whether or not it has actually been done yet.

Even though it's 1-1/2 hours away, I'm thinking it's time to show up on their lot and see for ourselves what's going on and/or what's not. It's now my impression that they will put off who they think they can put off.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:48 AM   #8

I've never had to work with a dealer on mine. I bought it used and a year old. The warranty is non-transferable so I had no warranty anyway.

Is it the EZ-Lube axles and did you grease them yourself?

When I took mine apart for the first time the bearings were grease packed but the cavity was empty because they hadn't been lubed thru the nipple, which is fine. If they get greased quickly thru the nipple with load on the wheel then you can blow out the rear seal.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:07 AM   #9

I bought my current TT in march 2013. It has never been back to the dealer. Anything I had to fix, I did myself for less than the cost of hauling it an hour each way to the dealer time and money. For me the warranty is useless unless maybe the refrigerator or something similarly big would have broke. Anything small was better to fix myself and pay than deal with the aggravation of the team of idiots that make up most dealers. The crack head looking fellow with limited knowledge that did my walk trough reeking of Marlboro breath was reason enough not to go back.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
I bought my current TT in march 2013. It has never been back to the dealer. Anything I had to fix, I did myself for less than the cost of hauling it an hour each way to the dealer time and money. For me the warranty is useless unless maybe the refrigerator or something similarly big would have broke. Anything small was better to fix myself and pay than deal with the aggravation of the team of idiots that make up most dealers. The crack head looking fellow with limited knowledge that did my walk trough reeking of Marlboro breath was reason enough not to go back.
I agree 100% - I have made 3 minor repairs to my trailer at a total cost of under $100. Well worth the investment to NOT have to deal with a dealer...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #11

Anytime are camper went to the dealer, we always followed up with a call to Jayco in a couple days! We did that for the two years it was under warranty!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #12

Was your dealer a Camping World by chance? I purchased my 2018 on the 17th of July and was able to take delivery on the 28th of August because of issues with Jayco not wanting to honor their warranty. Took our first trip on the 16th of September returning on the 22nd and took the FW into the dealer on the 25th, its still there. According to the posters hanging in the service department at Camping World, their promise is to keep you posted on the repairs, well I don't need any fingers to count the number of times I've received a status call. Yup ZERO is the magic number. If I want an update I have to go to the dealership and if I'm lucky I can actually speak with the service writer handling my case.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1 View Post
Was your dealer a Camping World by chance? I purchased my 2018 on the 17th of July and was able to take delivery on the 28th of August because of issues with Jayco not wanting to honor their warranty. Took our first trip on the 16th of September returning on the 22nd and took the FW into the dealer on the 25th, its still there. According to the posters hanging in the service department at Camping World, their promise is to keep you posted on the repairs, well I don't need any fingers to count the number of times I've received a status call. Yup ZERO is the magic number. If I want an update I have to go to the dealership and if I'm lucky I can actually speak with the service writer handling my case.
I believe you, same here. Zero updates, Zero emails returned,Zero returned calls, Zero results. Then call and the front desk lady says how busy they are. Drive all they way there (many times) and my service advisor is sitting there with no customers staring into space at the service counter. Got a call today from the headquarter for camping world for a survey on my last warranty service. I said all 0's but it only goes as low as 1. So I went all 1's. But my final comment made was "received more damage than actual repairs" (truthfully). Where were these types of employment when I was working???

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:14 PM   #14

E-Mail Marcus at this e-mail address, you will get results. I did when I wasn't happy with how things were going at the Harrisburg CW.
I e-mailed this address and promptly got a phone call from the Service Manager within a few hours:

marcusvip@campingworld.com

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:04 PM   #15

The joke at the service center is Camping World putting the Rv industry out of business one RV at a time. Three months and I managed to get a new kitchen faucet put in that leaked, they forget to tighten the lines, gee imagine that. Nothing else on my list fixed.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:29 PM   #16

No, my dealer is an independent, and they are an exclusive Jayco dealer in Virginia.

DH went up there on Friday, mostly because he needed his Racing Electronics radio that he had left in the Northpoint. We were going to the NASCAR race at Martinsville--obviously making day trips since we didn't have our 5th wheel back.

Well, anyway, of course he went to ask about the status of the repairs, and they said they were still waiting to hear from the axle manufacturer about that issue, but that everything else was finished. DH crawled under and looked at the repair to the underside of the kitchen slide and knew right away it was junk. He asked if they had put the slide out and in, and of course they hadn't. He said let's do it now. The repair fell apart on the first attempt. Back to square one.

DH had them call the owner of the dealership and didn't leave until he had given him a laundry list of how things had been done (or more aptly, not done). The owner took responsibility and said he would have the service department copy him on any e-mail and document every phone call and that he guaranteed we would be kept updated.

Once DH was home, he got a call from the service manager, who said not only had the photos not been sent to the axle manufacturer, but now they had found that there was a problem with the brakes. Only one side has been working from the get-go. We never knew this--it was stopping okay. We do have a big truck--a Ford F350 dually diesel--but this was pretty scary to hear.

So, let's see--the arm under the big slide broke off, ruined a G-rated Goodyear tire, the axle is leaking grease, and the brakes on one side are not working. We've owned it for a total of 6 months, and for the 2 months it has been sitting at the dealer--and nothing is fixed yet. They did winterize it and said there would be no charge. Ya think?

Service manager called today and said he got the ball rolling on everything. Oh happy day! After 2 months, they're getting the ball rolling.