Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #1

DIY MaxxAire Deluxe Fan w/Remote

Hello all. Was wondering if I could get some advice/help on replacing the bathroom fan in our Eagle. The fan in there is a Dometic and sucks and hasn't worked right since we took delivery a year ago. I want to replace it with the MaxxAire Deluxe Fan w/Remote. Has anyone done this project in their RV? I know there's a couple of YouTube videos showing installation. Was curious if anyone had any comments or advice replacing the fan with this one? Not sure I'm at that experience level to do this but I figure worst case scenario, I would fail and just have to pay the dealership the $225 they were gonna charge me for labor to do it and have them do it. Thanks in advance.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:18 PM   #2

Not a hard install at all. I did the same with the remote. Careful getting the old decor seal up off the rubber roof. Get a tube of self leveling door caulk and you will be good.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
Not a hard install at all. I did the same with the remote. Careful getting the old decor seal up off the rubber roof. Get a tube of self leveling door caulk and you will be good.
Thanks. I ordered the butyl tape and I have the Dicor so I should be good. I was torn between the white or the smoke and figured with this Texas heat, no need to attract more heat with the smoke. Stick with the white.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:38 PM   #4

It's really not hard to swap out. I swapped the useless easy breeze makes no breeze makes too much noise version out of ours!
Put a maxxair 10 speed in its place. It definitely moves air and on the low setting you can't hear it.
Here's the steps
Get some butyl tape, tub of self leveling lap sealant, new fan shoyld come with new mounting screws. Sime electrical tape, appropriate screw drivers.. Usually philips

Pull the 4 screws on the interior trim panel and drop it out and place in a safe place. You may be able to reuse it. Pull fuse for bathroom fan. Disconnect the two wires going to the switch on existing fan. Usually twist on nuts are used. I would tape them off to prevent a short or blowing a fuse on the trailer wiring side.
Go to roof with plastic putty knife. You can use a metal one but you need to be careful not to cut roof material. Pick a warm day. Butyl and dicor are easier to deal with when warm. You are going to scrap the self leveling dicor off the existing unit and clean up as best you can. Wear disposable gloves and take some mineral spirits up with you to help with cleaning it up. You need to get the dicor out of the screw heads. Take up appropriate screw driver to remove the screws holding it to roof
Once screws are removed pry up fan unit from roof. It will come eventually. Just go around it slowly and methodically.
Once unit is free apply butyl tape under new fan unit lip. You can dicor the old screw holes to ensure they don't leak.
Centre up in hole. A visit back to bathroom to centre up is likely required. Holes from old unit not likely will line up but you can try.
Once unit is centred apply a little dicor on end of screws and screw down
Do it 4 corners middle the rest.try to pull it down evenly. Butyl should squezze out the edge slightly.
I would go down wire it up and put fuse back in andtest at this point. Tuck wires
Back up in attic and try trim ring. See if it fits.
Then back to roof and apply dicor all around seam and over and around screw heads.
Let it cure for a couple days and then myself I ran eternabond tape around the whole thing up onto metal fan cover edge and out onto the roof past the dicor.
Never get a leak then

YMMV

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
It's really not hard to swap out. I swapped the useless easy breeze makes no breeze makes too much noise version out of ours!
Put a maxxair 10 speed in its place. It definitely moves air and on the low setting you can't hear it.
Here's the steps
Get some butyl tape, tub of self leveling lap sealant, new fan shoyld come with new mounting screws. Sime electrical tape, appropriate screw drivers.. Usually philips

Pull the 4 screws on the interior trim panel and drop it out and place in a safe place. You may be able to reuse it. Pull fuse for bathroom fan. Disconnect the two wires going to the switch on existing fan. Usually twist on nuts are used. I would tape them off to prevent a short or blowing a fuse on the trailer wiring side.
Go to roof with plastic putty knife. You can use a metal one but you need to be careful not to cut roof material. Pick a warm day. Butyl and dicor are easier to deal with when warm. You are going to scrap the self leveling dicor off the existing unit and clean up as best you can. Wear disposable gloves and take some mineral spirits up with you to help with cleaning it up. You need to get the dicor out of the screw heads. Take up appropriate screw driver to remove the screws holding it to roof
Once screws are removed pry up fan unit from roof. It will come eventually. Just go around it slowly and methodically.
Once unit is free apply butyl tape under new fan unit lip. You can dicor the old screw holes to ensure they don't leak.
Centre up in hole. A visit back to bathroom to centre up is likely required. Holes from old unit not likely will line up but you can try.
Once unit is centred apply a little dicor on end of screws and screw down
Do it 4 corners middle the rest.try to pull it down evenly. Butyl should squezze out the edge slightly.
I would go down wire it up and put fuse back in andtest at this point. Tuck wires
Back up in attic and try trim ring. See if it fits.
Then back to roof and apply dicor all around seam and over and around screw heads.
Let it cure for a couple days and then myself I ran eternabond tape around the whole thing up onto metal fan cover edge and out onto the roof past the dicor.
Never get a leak then

YMMV

RoadrunnerII
Thanks for the detailed instructions! That about how I had planned on attacking it. Thanks again!
Old 05-16-2020, 07:22 PM   #6

I would(and did) do some eterna bond tape on the roof to fan shroud transition. Done correctly, you will never have to worry about that joint again.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
I would(and did) do some eterna bond tape on the roof to fan shroud transition. Done correctly, you will never have to worry about that joint again.
I saw that on one of the videos also. So put the eternabond on the roof after cleaning the old gunk off? Then butyl tape then the shroud?
Old 05-17-2020, 07:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
Hello all. Was wondering if I could get some advice/help on replacing the bathroom fan in our Eagle. The fan in there is a Dometic and sucks and hasn't worked right since we took delivery a year ago. I want to replace it with the MaxxAire Deluxe Fan w/Remote. Has anyone done this project in their RV? I know there's a couple of YouTube videos showing installation. Was curious if anyone had any comments or advice replacing the fan with this one? Not sure I'm at that experience level to do this but I figure worst case scenario, I would fail and just have to pay the dealership the $225 they were gonna charge me for labor to do it and have them do it. Thanks in advance.
I recently replaced my "Easybreeze" fan with the Maxxair Deluxe 7500 in our Eagle 355, too. So much better, and even the others can turn it on and off now. I like the auto setting as well, keeps air flowing when parked at home, too.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:17 AM   #9

One more thing. The ceiling to roof thickness on my 355 was more than the trim ring would cover. I ended up cutting the original trim ring to fit, since it was taller.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotgunZ71 View Post
I recently replaced my "Easybreeze" fan with the Maxxair Deluxe 7500 in our Eagle 355, too. So much better, and even the others can turn it on and off now. I like the auto setting as well, keeps air flowing when parked at home, too.
Yea, I think that's what we have to replace, the Dometic EZ Breeze fan.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:03 AM   #11

RoadrunnerII, what did you do with the existing fan switch?
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:07 AM   #12

Anyone have a VentLine fan in their bathroom? What a terrible fan. I want to replace it with the MaxxAir also. My North Point came with a MaxxAir in the bathroom. I upgraded to the Pinnacle and you would think they would have put a MaxxAir in it. Nope, just a POC Ventline.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 05-17-2020, 09:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
RoadrunnerII, what did you do with the existing fan switch?
The existing switch was part of the easu breeze. Came out with it. The maxxair we installed has a switch mounted to it

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:14 AM   #14
CAG

I just made that exact change out because in Jayco's great engineering they put a fan in the bathroom that is so high my wife cannot reach the screw to open the vent. It is a simple operation with much of what you have been told above. The most time consuming part of it is removing the old butyl and dicor.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Anyone have a VentLine fan in their bathroom? What a terrible fan. I want to replace it with the MaxxAir also. My North Point came with a MaxxAir in the bathroom. I upgraded to the Pinnacle and you would think they would have put a MaxxAir in it. Nope, just a POC Ventline.

Huh. Our 2019 Pinnacle came stock in the bathroom with a MaxxAir- just not the fancy one with the remote, the thermostat and the extended exterior shroud that allows the unit to function in the rain. That would be the "Deluxe". And we also have the Jayco installation screw-up with the wrong wall switch installed that requires us to reach for the overhead switch to turn it on. Joan can barely reach the overhead fan switch, but when I submitted the $350 proposal to put in the deluxe with the remote, she balked and resolved to exercise her tippy toes. More money for Chardonnay.

But thanks everybody for this thread; it's been informative and useful.
-Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
Huh. Our 2019 Pinnacle came stock in the bathroom with a MaxxAir- just not the fancy one with the remote, the thermostat and the extended exterior shroud that allows the unit to function in the rain. That would be the "Deluxe". And we also have the Jayco installation screw-up with the wrong wall switch installed that requires us to reach for the overhead switch to turn it on. Joan can barely reach the overhead fan switch, but when I submitted the $350 proposal to put in the deluxe with the remote, she balked and resolved to exercise her tippy toes. More money for Chardonnay. But thanks everybody for this thread; it's been informative and useful.
-Angus
Angus, sounds like we were screwed out of the MaxxAir!! It didn't make sense to me that the MaxxAir came standard in our North Point and NOT in our Pinnacle. Sounds like I need to get on the phone and hash it out with the Jayco folks
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 05-17-2020, 11:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Angus, sounds like we were screwed out of the MaxxAir!! It didn't make sense to me that the MaxxAir came standard in our North Point and NOT in our Pinnacle. Sounds like I need to get on the phone and hash it out with the Jayco folks

Just shows the inconsistency at Jayco. Remember I had the crappy shower door slides with loud and rusty metal wheels. Thanks to your description of your stock plastic slides, I hand carved and milled plastic slides of my own. Sooo much better!
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I just made that exact change out because in Jayco's great engineering they put a fan in the bathroom that is so high my wife cannot reach the screw to open the vent. It is a simple operation with much of what you have been told above. The most time consuming part of it is removing the old butyl and dicor.
Yep. My wife's 5'4" and can't reach the fan switch or the handle to open the vent. It's the Dometic EZ Breeze fan, not very good. Best thing is when the vents are open, it's still rain free. But still has a small fan blade, 3-4" so I'm anxious to get this MaxxAire Deluxe in. They seem to be getting scarce online. I ordered from Dyer RV in Arizona, $289 and no tax, $9.98 shipping 5-7 days. Best deal out there that I could see. I had the white one in my Amazon cart last week for $269 but the price changed and now it's $380! No thanks.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
I had the white one in my Amazon cart last week for $269 but the price changed and now it's $380! No thanks.

Just for future, the camelcamelcamel browser add on is great for following prices on Amazon. I've seen very large price swings. If you don't need something fast, setting up a price watch is very easy and actually works.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:30 PM   #20

I had the dealer install one in mines, a bad mistake but at least it does the job it was of the best mod I did.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote