Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2023, 08:47 PM   #1

Do I need a CDL, Noncommercial Class A/B, or Good to Go?

I'm hoping someone else has been down this rabbit hole and can confirm what I have found.

My combination of Truck and 5th Wheel has a GVWR of 26,500 lbs. That puts me over the 26,001 lb limit where a CDL would be required for commercial use. I use my RV strictly for recreational purposes and that eliminates the commercial requirement for a Class A CDL. However, several states appear to have a non-commercial Class A or B licensing requirement for a Truck / RV that exceeds the 26,001 lb GVWR. I was specifically looking at Texas.

My state, Oklahoma, does not require a CDL or a Special Permit for recreational RV use. In Oklahoma if an RV is used for recreational purposes, regardless of the combined GVWR, then no CDL or special license is required.

I've read on a couple of different websites that if your driver's license is compliant in your state of residency then your license is accepted in all states and Canada. Can anyone confirm this?
RJDavisOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 09:24 PM   #2

Yep for the USA, don't know about Canada.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 09:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Yep for the USA, don't know about Canada.
Great! Thank you for the response.
Old 03-04-2023, 06:42 AM   #4
Site Team

That is what I have understood. I have never been stopped or questioned about it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 06:54 AM   #5

Same applies to Canada. We've been in all but 4 of the Provinces and were never questioned.
Old 03-04-2023, 08:29 AM   #6

Thanks all. Texas looks to be one of the states that require a noncommercial Class A license when exceeding 26,000 lbs GVWR with a truck / 5th wheel combination. I tried to call the Texas DPS to ask the question but after 1 hour on hold, listening to a recording, I gave up.
Old 03-04-2023, 08:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJDavisOK View Post
Thanks all. Texas looks to be one of the states that require a noncommercial Class A license when exceeding 26,000 lbs GVWR with a truck / 5th wheel combination. I tried to call the Texas DPS to ask the question but after 1 hour on hold, listening to a recording, I gave up.
If you live there, not passing through.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 09:48 AM   #8

In Texas it would be a class B, I just went through that and got mine.
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topperace View Post
In Texas it would be a class B, I just went through that and got mine.
Class B is for a single vehicle such as a large motorhome that exceeds 26k, Class A is required for a combination vehicle such as a Truck and Trailer that exceed 26k. Class A covers Class B as well.

In any case, if Ok doesn't require a non-commercial Class A license for RV's over 26k then they likely don't even issue them. It is my understanding that all States in the U.S. honor valid licenses from other states, and with that in mind I wouldn't worry about it (again as long as you are legal in your home state). ~CA
Old 03-05-2023, 10:09 AM   #10

Ask yourself, what and where are you REQUIRED to enter a port of entry? One I know of is I-80 Utah westbound out of Wyoming enroute to Ogden. Thats is your qestion, where are you REQUIRED to enter a port. If you know, drive around them.
Edutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 10:12 AM   #11

You said GVWR. What is your actual gross weight on the scales when you head out?
Old 03-05-2023, 10:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edutron View Post
You said GVWR. What is your actual gross weight on the scales when you head out?
I don’t remember exactly, I’ve only had my current fully loaded combination across the scales once. I need to check it again the next time I’m out with the wife and her items loaded. It seems like the CGVW was a little over 24,000 lbs. I don’t carry water on board the RV and dump all waste before traveling. At the time, I was focused on making sure the truck payload capacity was sufficient to handle the weight when using the 5th wheel RV. I was exceeding the payload capacity with my 2016 F250 by a 100 lbs or so and decided to purchase the ‘22 F350 I now have. I believe I’m within towing specs on all fronts now.

The reason for my question was the various federal and state driver’s licensing requirements are based on the GVWR and not GCVW.
Old 03-05-2023, 02:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Ask yourself, what and where are you REQUIRED to enter a port of entry? One I know of is I-80 Utah westbound out of Wyoming enroute to Ogden. Thats is your qestion, where are you REQUIRED to enter a port. If you know, drive around them.
Why do you have to stop at this port of entry? I’ve blown by it literally hundreds of times. Am I supposed to stop and just haven’t? Just wondering if you know something I don’t?

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 02:58 PM   #14

Signs say ALL vehicles with trailers. As far as weight that close I wouldn't worry about it.
The issue comes down to insurance. If you are grossly overweight and not legal, insurance will not cover you. No different that pulling doubles and being over the State legal length. Anything happens, insurance may not cover you.
Most States require a CDL over 26K.
Old 03-05-2023, 03:11 PM   #15

I believe that requirement is only if you are driving for commercial purposes - not applicable if towing an RV for recreational purposes. I’ve found that some states do have a non-commercial Class A or B driver’s license requirement for those not driving for a commercial purposes but have loads over 26K. But, that license is not a CDL.
Old 03-05-2023, 03:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Signs say ALL vehicles with trailers. As far as weight that close I wouldn't worry about it.
The issue comes down to insurance. If you are grossly overweight and not legal, insurance will not cover you. No different that pulling doubles and being over the State legal length. Anything happens, insurance may not cover you.
Most States require a CDL over 26K.
Only 7 for an RV.... I've also pulled an RV in all of the lower 48 and all the major Canadian Provinces and have never pulled into a scale house and have never been chased.

Seven states require a class A or B CDL license for vehicles over 26,000 lbs. or over 45 feet in length. Ten states require a non-commercial license or endorsement based on the size or length of the RV. There are 34 states that don’t require any type of special licensure for an RV.
Old 03-05-2023, 03:19 PM   #17

NOPE, required for an RV as well or any vehicle / combo. My CDL can be active commercial or non-commercial depending on whether I have an active medical. I elected (when I retired) to go non-commercial (expired medical) to keep my CDL just for 26K purpose.
Old 03-05-2023, 03:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Only 7 for an RV.... I've also pulled an RV in all of the lower 48 and all the major Canadian Provinces and have never pulled into a scale house and have never been chased.

Seven states require a class A or B CDL license for vehicles over 26,000 lbs. or over 45 feet in length. Ten states require a non-commercial license or endorsement based on the size or length of the RV. There are 34 states that don’t require any type of special licensure for an RV.
I found the attached as a guide I’ve been using. Two locations (Wisconsin and Washington DC) do actually require a CDL under certain conditions. Fourteen states appear to have some form of a noncommercial Class A / B license requirement based on GVWR or length. I’ve read somewhere that the noncommercial license process / testing is not as rigorous as the CDL process. But, I don’t know - we don’t have a special license requirement in OK for RVs driven / towed for recreational use.

https://www.rvezy.com/blog/rv-driver...quirements-usa
Old 03-05-2023, 03:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJDavisOK View Post
I found the attached as a guide I’ve been using. Two locations (Wisconsin and Washington DC) do actually require a CDL under certain conditions. Fourteen states appear to have some form of a noncommercial Class A / B license requirement based on GVWR or length. I’ve read somewhere that the noncommercial license process / testing is not as rigorous as the CDL process. But, I don’t know - we don’t have a special license requirement in OK for RVs driven / towed for recreational use.

https://www.rvezy.com/blog/rv-driver...quirements-usa
Here's another article, but again it is only if you "LIVE" in that state. The only National CDL requirement is for commercial and that is federally mandated. Had one, let it lapse when I retired.

https://rvshare.com/rv/do-you-need-a...to-drive-an-rv
Old 03-05-2023, 04:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Here's another article, but again it is only if you "LIVE" in that state. The only National CDL requirement is for commercial and that is federally mandated. Had one, let it lapse when I retired.

https://rvshare.com/rv/do-you-need-a...to-drive-an-rv
Interesting - the two articles are somewhat different. I notice that Arkansas is different between our two lists. Out of curiosity, I might chase down the licensing requirements in that state. But, I think you are right and everything that I have found states that a person only has to comply with the licensing requirements for recreational RV use in their home state. If so, they are compliant in all states.