Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2021, 07:18 PM   #1

Do propane lines stay pressurized when tanks are off?

I have a 2017 BHDS 29.5 with 2 30 pound propane tanks and an automatic switch over regulator. Last season, I would notice the ever faint smell of propane in the compartment where the tanks are stored. Bubble tests didn't detect any leaks, and there was no smell inside the RV (or even outside the door). I rarely keep the propane turned on because we just don't use it all that often.

To that end, when I would shut the tanks off (say for a day or two), and then go to turn them back on - the little switchover (which shows if the tank is empty) would be red. Once the propane bottle was opened, I could hear the slightest sound of the propane pressurizing in the lines.

My initial thought is that shouldn't be happening. Unless there is a leak, wouldn't the lines ALWAYS be under pressure (forever - unless I manually purge the lines)?

I replaced the regulator and the pigtails a few weeks ago. Turned on the propane - shut it off that evening - and the next evening it "re-pressurized". Just the shortest little wisp sound.

1. Shouldn't those lines always be under pressure no mater what? Or, is there some natural "escaping" when the bottles are off (ie storage)?

2. I **NEVER** open both bottles at the same time. Is it possible that the lack of pressure on one side of the switchover regular is what's causing the propane to give the impression that it is "re-pressurizing"?

I don't smell any propane any longer in the compartment, but am curious if these lines should always be under pressure (unless I go to the stove and open a burner or something). If I just turn the bottles off and back on - no sound. If I wait 24 hours or so, then a small wisp.

SIDE NOTE: I bought a portable propane detector, and have followed all the lines in every place I can access and have NEVER had it hit on propane not in a tank.

Any advice would be appreciated!
datx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:58 PM   #2

I always thought the propane lines would be held under their low pressure setting but now I am not sure. You would think they would.

Recently I was prepping for a trip and went to fire up the fridge to test the propane. It would error out due to no flame ignition. I then turned on the stove to bleed the line and it took a few seconds for it to light. Apparently there was no propane in the line.

The tank had not been shut off and nothing was changed since the previous use about a month prior. I would have thought the line would be at the same pressure it was before but apparently not.

I wonder what happened to the pressure that was in the hose previously. If there was a leak it wouldn't let air in it would bleed propane out.

I have a single tank system with no switchover. My old camper had the switchover and I am familiar with that operation. Seems to me I had to "bleed" the lines after it sat for a period of time. I always had both tanks turned on only when I was using it. Between trips I would turn the valves off and that would always require running the stove to get the propane into everything.

Is there a propane/gas expert out there who knows how the pressure regulator works and where the gas that is suppose to be in the line goes when not in use? Maybe it goes where all the socks go that disappear from a dryer.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:20 PM   #3

My Northpoint does the same thing. I can shut off the bottles and within a few days the lines are empty. I did the same with a gas sniffer we have from work and another unit I borrowed from a buddybthaybworks in the gas industry and same results, no leaks detected.
If it makes you feel better, my previous other brand was brand new, like my Northpoint, and it did the same thing AND so did our first 5th wheel and it was an 04.
I get the same small lingering propane smell in the bottle storage compartment and no other place. I just quit worrying about it figuring this is "normal". Lol!
Old 04-13-2021, 09:17 PM   #4
Site Team

Our propane supply acts the same way. It's usually a few weeks between trips, and it takes a minute or two to get propane back to the quick connect for our outside stove. I found a link to more propane information than I knew existed. Although it's geared to propane for a house, there's some interesting information and specs.

http://www.regoproducts.com/PDFs/L-5...ans_Manual.pdf

No help for all my lost socks though...

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:28 PM   #5

I had a very slight leak on one of the factory connections between the rubber hose and the fitting on the pigtail. It only leaked if there was just the right twist on the hose. Replaced both pigtails and now I don’t have any propane smell in my compartments.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:35 AM   #6

My Eagle is the same, as were all my TT. If both tanks are turned off for a few days, I get the red indicator on the switchover valve. Normally, I open them up once we get set up and then close them when we're headed back on the road. In high-use times of the year, I check the indicator each morning to see if one tank is out so I can get it filled. I used to only run one tank at a time, but it's no fun to wake up in the middle of the night freezing! LOL! Then, you have to go outside and switch to the other (full) tank. Lessons learned while camping.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:22 AM   #7

I bought a electronic sniffer since I had nothing but problems with my 2017 28.5 initially with smell and leaks and the soap and water trick wasnt getting it done. Ended up the pig tails on both tanks were both leaking so I replaced everything with parts made in the USA and no more leaks in the main compartment. I also found a leak in a cut on the rubber hose about half way back. It was a tricky one because the leak was on the frame side so you really had to get the sniffer in there. Looks like there was a sharp edge on the frame that sliced it ever so slightly. I did a splice to get rid of the bad section and resecured it so it didnt vibrate around. I still have to do the stove thing to get gas up to the fridge area and it usually takes 2-3 cycles to get the fridge lit off on propane if its sat a while.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:02 AM   #8

Mine is the same. Shutoff the tank and next time out takes a minute to light the stove and 3 to 5 minutes for the oven.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:55 AM   #9

A lot has to do with the regulators, A lot of tanks have low pressure regulators and the size of the lines going to appliances are small in diameter.
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:55 PM   #10

Thanks for all the feedback! As always, best forum on the internet!
Old 04-15-2021, 05:45 AM   #11

No, like any pressurized system, it will eventually leak down.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:59 AM   #12

NO
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
No, like any pressurized system, it will eventually leak down.

Earl
Thanks, Earl - this totally makes sense to me (and seems to fit with everyones experience), but the question that has stumped me is WHERE is that leakage occurring? Has to be out of some vent in the regulator or the leak would become problematic during everyday pressurized use - wouldn't it? I'm more interested in understanding the process than I am in thinking/worrying that I have some sort of critical problem at this point.

It's probably a question that has too many variables to answer - could be leaking from an appliance by design, etc etc. c'est la vie!
Old 04-15-2021, 11:09 AM   #14

Every fitting and joint will have microscopic leaks, even the rubber hose can seap a tiny bit. This just seems normal. As the rubber ages or joints loosen to the point where bubble will form in soapy water you need to repair or replace. If you parked your camper in excellent condition in a garage with still air you might be able to smell a tiny bit of propane scent. When you have a real leak you can smell it easily and detect it with bubbles.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:18 AM   #15

It seems strange that when the pressure bleeds off the regulator doesn't maintain pressure in the hose. It must need a certain amount of propane flow to regulate the pressure.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #16

Lost propane

Ditto...since the day I picked it up.
USNMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:08 PM   #17

My trailer always did the same thing, lines not pressurized after long storage. I used a gas sniffer and couldn't find any leaks, although I thought I could smell propane when I removed the tank cover. I eventually took the tanks off and submerged them in a tank of water. There was a very slight leak at the handle stem that I could see bubbling. I replaced the one tank, but still over winter the lines are again empty. Since I don't smell any propane I don't worry about it.
JimHanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:13 PM   #18

After each camping trip, I bleed the lines by first, turning off the tank(s) up front on my TT and then shutting off the valves. Then I turn a stove on and burn any residual propane that may be in the lines, before I get back on the road. Better safe than sorry :-)
I have yet to hear any gas hiss or propane smell after a trip or getting ready for a new one.
Livermore, CA
Elefantdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:27 PM   #19

As another poster stated, i had the same leak problem in the hose swivel joint when the hose was twisted in certain position.. I went to Camping world and asked their techs about the issue. They told me they have seen this many times and it's effecting the china made hoses. I replaced them both sent a letter to Jayco with copy of my receipts and never heard from them. Also i have learned that the auto switch over will not function correctly if you turn the the gas bottle valve on to quickly. the sudden influx of pressure does something the confuses the switch over mechanism.. To solve this, turn both tanks off, wait about 5 minutes then s-l-o-w-l-y turn one by one on.. works every time.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by datx View Post
...I don't smell any propane any longer in the compartment, but am curious if these lines should always be under pressure (unless I go to the stove and open a burner or something). If I just turn the bottles off and back on - no sound. If I wait 24 hours or so, then a small wisp....
Here's what I do once each year. I have a pigtail with a small gauge on it (Amazon). I pressurize the system with all appliances off. Then I close the tank valve, record the pressure value, and wait 15 minutes. I then check the pressure again. It should be the same. If it drops, I start looking for a leak.

There are other checks that a certified RV technical would perform and you are encouraged to have it done by someone who can do these. The quick check I do is better than ignoring the system.

I find that if I wait a few days, the gauge will eventually drop. I don't know where the little bit of gas in the lines goes. Perhaps these rubber hoses aren't perfect. The video above says that you only wait about 8 minutes before checking for a pressure to drop. Maybe some minor leakage is expected and OK.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote