Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2021, 09:34 PM   #1

Do these rear stabilizers look low?

Brought the new 25.5REOK home. Picture below and excuse the dirt on vehicle and trailer - it was quite a trip.

Questions:

Do the rear stabilizers look like they are mounted low?
Does it look just a tad nose high? I neglected to check with a level, and to my eye at the time it looked pretty level .....

I would like to raise the B & W companion hitch one last inch to provide just a little more clearance, but am concerned it may take it a little too nose high. Until I get 16 inch wheels on it - 2 years away probably, I want it riding as level as possible, while still protecting bed clearance.
Attached Thumbnails
JAYCO 25.5REOK.jpg  
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:01 AM   #2

Vista

Looks good to me. What's important is your bed clearence.
So when your hooked up measure from lowest point on your Rig to the top of your truck bed side rails. You should have at least five inches or more clear between the two. If you have more than that you can drop your Husky reciver but more clearence is preferable.

BTW most newer trucks ride higher these days so you may have to deal with that as well.

MarkoClick image for larger version

Name:	20180626_131554.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	68270
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:29 AM   #3

Hard to tell in the shadow but the right rear may not be up all the way. Also check if they are bolted using the same mounting holes on both sides
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:38 AM   #4

I can't tell by the picture, they look like they are touching the ground to me. Perhaps another closer up picture would help. ~CA
Old 02-24-2021, 08:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
Hard to tell in the shadow but the right rear may not be up all the way. Also check if they are bolted using the same mounting holes on both sides
Yeah its a bad pic - I did not take it intending to show the stabilizers unfortunately, just thought I would snap a pic heading in to camp.

I promise both are fully retracted and at the same level. They just seem to be mounted lower than I would expect. I will take a better look when I go to storage this weekend, bit I noticed how low they were when placing it in storage.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
Vista

Looks good to me. What's important is your bed clearence.
So when your hooked up measure from lowest point on your Rig to the top of your truck bed side rails. You should have at least five inches or more clear between the two. If you have more than that you can drop your Husky reciver but more clearence is preferable.

BTW most newer trucks ride higher these days so you may have to deal with that as well.

MarkoAttachment 68270
Clearance is currently about 5.5 in the back and about 6.5 in the front (but I will need to measure again on a known level site). I would like an inch more which is why I am considering raising the B&W from the middle setting to the highest setting.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:56 AM   #7

Vista

Sounds like a good plan. Let's us know how it works out for you.

Marko
Old 02-24-2021, 11:02 AM   #8

Just fyi, I know that many people have broken their rear stabilizers when pulling into a parking lot \ gas station that has a dip between the road and parking lot. I would suggest to try to find such an area (in an open parking lot with no traffic for example) and see how close they get to the ground (w/o actually dragging them of course) and if within a few inches of contact, I would certainly do whatever is needed to raise them up a bit.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Just fyi, I know that many people have broken their rear stabilizers when pulling into a parking lot \ gas station that has a dip between the road and parking lot. I would suggest to try to find such an area (in an open parking lot with no traffic for example) and see how close they get to the ground (w/o actually dragging them of course) and if within a few inches of contact, I would certainly do whatever is needed to raise them up a bit.
This is the point of my question. Gas stations and forest service road dips.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:18 PM   #10

It is a bit hard to tell, but it looks like the bottom of the stabilizers are in line roughly with the center of the wheel, so about 9-10 inches of clearance? That should be plenty. They also look to be close to in-line with the front air dam on the truck, so you'll probably know if they are going to touch long before they actually do.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
It is a bit hard to tell, but it looks like the bottom of the stabilizers are in line roughly with the center of the wheel, so about 9-10 inches of clearance? That should be plenty. They also look to be close to in-line with the front air dam on the truck, so you'll probably know if they are going to touch long before they actually do.
Well ... that air dam is gonna get shortened real quick here as soon as the 4x2 version arrives .... they are ridiculously low these days. (stock 4x4 air dam is much longer and uglier than stock 4x2....)
Old 02-24-2021, 12:25 PM   #12

Vista

You can also take of the rear stabilize landing plate off when necessary. I did that when I first bought my rig but I stopped after a few trips with no issues. Just make sure you put them back on before for deploying stabilizers. Maybe more work then its worth. You may want to go super slow when you enter an incline or road hazzard.

Marko
Old 02-25-2021, 06:18 PM   #13

Look slow to me...also make sure they put 6 bolts on each stabilizer...mine only had
4 and one bent at the frame on a trip where our site was very unlevel...confirmed w/ Lippert that 6 bolts are supposed to be used ... I added two to each stabilizer on my 383FKWS. Our stabelizers are basically centered on the mount plate on the frame.
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:35 PM   #14

If you think yours are low, here's mine and they wont go any higher. I REALLY have to be careful pulling into and out of entrances.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200428_175640.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	68354

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200428_175717.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	68355

I keep the feet pads on for just in case they do hit itll scrape a little better than the post being down and grabbing the ground and getting bent.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
If you think yours are low, here's mine and they wont go any higher. I REALLY have to be careful pulling into and out of entrances.
Attachment 68354

Attachment 68355

I keep the feet pads on for just in case they do hit itll scrape a little better than the post being down and grabbing the ground and getting bent.
LH,
I will measure and photo mine this weekend, but they look abut the same as yours. It seems insane!
Old 02-25-2021, 07:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
Brought the new 25.5REOK home. Picture below and excuse the dirt on vehicle and trailer - it was quite a trip.

Questions:

Do the rear stabilizers look like they are mounted low?
Does it look just a tad nose high? I neglected to check with a level, and to my eye at the time it looked pretty level .....

I would like to raise the B & W companion hitch one last inch to provide just a little more clearance, but am concerned it may take it a little too nose high. Until I get 16 inch wheels on it - 2 years away probably, I want it riding as level as possible, while still protecting bed clearance.

Feel above the jack, if you have some room raise them up a hole or two if you can, just be sure to use blocks when leveling.

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:35 PM   #17

I’m at 5” with my snap pads on. Never hit anything....never even thought about it.
Before I got the snap pads I had the dealer lower them a hole to stop the frequent out of stroke errors
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
LH,
I will measure and photo mine this weekend, but they look abut the same as yours. It seems insane!
Insaneis what I thought too, but I haven't hit anything with them yet. Key word there... lol!
I also keep six 2x12 square wood pads that I put under each one at the site. This helps make the weight footprint a bit larger and helps to keep it from stroking out.
My trailer is so large, it's not going boondocking anywhere, so that's one less place to get them ripped off.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Attachment 68354

Attachment 68355

Looks like you have lots of adjustment to raise them
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
UPDATE.

Measured them yesterday and there is about 9 inches of clearance. Also, it looks like I an raise them up on the bracket, will consider that for a future activity but not immediately.

Another poster mentioned there should be 6 bolts. I didn't lay on the ground, but I only saw 4 and I wonder if the smaller 5ers like mine should only have 4. It "seemed" sufficient.