Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2016, 06:11 PM   #1

Do you cover your fifth wheel?

When we had our Jayco Eagle, we covered it during the winter. Of course, it is a lot of work to put on and take off. And then there is storing the cover, it takes up a lot of space.

We typically kept the cover on for 4 or 5 months. Now that we have our Pinnacle, we have been discussing the merits versus the cost of buying a cover.

This year, we plan on winterizing in November and heading to Florida at the end of January. So that means it would be covered at the most for 2.5 to 3 months. At the cost of about $550 for the cover we are looking at, we are not convinced that we would gain enough benefit to cover the cost and work.

I am just wondering what other's experience/thoughts have been with covers and their benefits.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:22 PM   #2

It is a hassle but I do believe it really saves overall, it takes the direct sun off the roof, shades and gel coat.

I've always covered my trailers and they stayed looking nicer than the uncovered rigs.
CaliforniaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:28 AM   #3

No.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:26 AM   #4

I never covered any of our units in 39 years. Since you plan on going to FL in JAN what happens if the cover is under a layer of snow or some ice, you'll never get it off.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I never covered any of our units in 39 years. Since you plan on going to FL in JAN what happens if the cover is under a layer of snow or some ice, you'll never get it off.
Thanks Grumpy, that is a good point. I hadn't given that any thought. We live in Virginia. We don't get wintry weather often but we do get it. That is reason enough not to put a cover on. Don't know how I missed that.

On a side, note, you never put a cover on, is that because you didn't think it was high enough value?
Old 09-25-2016, 01:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivusCraig View Post

On a side, note, you never put a cover on, is that because you didn't think it was high enough value?
Never saw a need and never had any damage, Our first 4 units had metal roofs to boot.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #7

Put a cover on our ToyHauler one season. The wind blew the cover and all the flapping wore spots in the roof on the edges. Called the manufacturer of the cover, they said yeah that happens if you don't protect the roof from the cover... So I guess you need a cover to protect it from the cover...

After a couple of years of looking at the mess in the shed I took it to the dump. Waste of 500$
Old 09-25-2016, 03:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Put a cover on our ToyHauler one season. The wind blew the cover and all the flapping wore spots in the roof on the edges. Called the manufacturer of the cover, they said yeah that happens if you don't protect the roof from the cover... So I guess you need a cover to protect it from the cover...

After a couple of years of looking at the mess in the shed I took it to the dump. Waste of 500$
We had a cover on our Eagle for two seasons. We put covered sharp roof edges with foam to prevent damage to the cover. That was a lot of work. Despite our best efforts, each time we took the cover off, we noticed more rips / tears.

It was still usable when we traded in our Eagle for our Pinnacle but I am not sure for how long.

I must admit, the roof stayed nice and clean. That is why I posted my question because we are trying to determine if the effort and cost would be worth the benefit. Grumpy brought up a good point about our leaving at the end of January and possibly having to remove the cover when it is buried in snow or ice. So I think that settles the question for us at least for this season.

Still given how the cover wears each year even with lots of TLC, the effort and cost, is it worth it at all, even when covering it for a full winter?

That is why I value each and everyone's response as feedback into that decision.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #9

In mho, no. Dealers in our area don't cover their units both new and used
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:16 PM   #10

I say, absolutely yes, cover it. $500 to protect your $30K investment is cheap. Everyone knows that over time, UV rays will damage your RV. To say otherwise is just not true. It takes maybe an hour to put a cover on, or take it off. If you buy a decent cover, and correctly put it on and secure it, it will not do any damage. 2 hours a year, and $500, it's foolish not to cover it.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:25 PM   #11
jtw

Cover it, mine will sit from mid October to June, I've always covered mine have had no issues. buy a good cover.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:11 AM   #12

We covered a previous TT, but stopped for 2 reasons:
1. Cover ripped from the wind. Went through 2 covers in a matter of 3 years, both ripped.
2. Cover started wearing away siding & corner finish from cover rubbing against corners.

We purchased a top of the line ADCO. ADCOreplaced the 1st ripped cover under warranty, but the 2nd cover ripped the 1st winter of use.

After that experience, we stopped covering the TT and don't cover our current FW.

My suggestions for consideration would be:
> If your trailer sits where it gets wind, anticipate buying a new cover every few years.
> Check and read closely what the warranty is on the cover you purchase. Some don't cover wind damage.

FYI - with your plans to head south in January, I would not cover the trailer.
As someone else mentioned, if you get snow before you leave, you may have difficulty removing the cover.

Hope this helps and Good Luck
Old 09-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC-REQS View Post
We covered a previous TT, but stopped for 2 reasons:
1. Cover ripped from the wind. Went through 2 covers in a matter of 3 years, both ripped.
2. Cover started wearing away siding & corner finish from cover rubbing against corners.

We purchased a top of the line ADCO. ADCOreplaced the 1st ripped cover under warranty, but the 2nd cover ripped the 1st winter of use.

After that experience, we stopped covering the TT and don't cover our current FW.

My suggestions for consideration would be:
> If your trailer sits where it gets wind, anticipate buying a new cover every few years.
> Check and read closely what the warranty is on the cover you purchase. Some don't cover wind damage.

FYI - with your plans to head south in January, I would not cover the trailer.
As someone else mentioned, if you get snow before you leave, you may have difficulty removing the cover.

Hope this helps and Good Luck
I can relate to your experience. We had ours on our Eagle for two winters and it was getting rips and tears in various places. We were also very careful to cover sharp edges with foam and did our best to eliminate rub points.

That is why we have been hesitant to spend another $500 dollars. I could see having to replace the cover every 2 or 3 years. Not sure if that ongoing investment is worth the cost. Appreciate you sharing your experience.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #14

Thanks to everyone who posted their experience with covering their RV.

It is one of those cost versus benefit decisions. Since we are going to Florida end of January, we won't be investing in a cover for at least this year. RV wouldn't get covered up until mid-November.

We are anticipate going full time in 2 1/2 years so after that it would be a moot point.

Tags
covers, pinnacle 36 fbts