Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #1

Do You have this Issue

Hello We have a 2011 Pinnacle 36REQS. When I dump any of the waste tanks there is a gurgling sound for a minute or two. Sounds like milk comming out of a jug. It is the air venting threw the vent but never on any of our other rigs did we have this, but we also had several vent pipes. The Pinnical vents all three tanks threw one vent. Tanks all drain but the sound last for about the first minute or two. Jayco has not heard of any complaints. Maybe the vent located too low in the tank? Just wondering if anyone else has this.
Thanks
Old 12-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #2

We have a 2011 Pinnacle 35LKTS and have not heard any gurgling when dumping our tanks.
Guess I will have to listen next time, when hooked up for more than a few days we ususally leave the Gray Tank valves open and just dump the black tank about every 6 to 7 days.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Site Team

I have noticed that my tanks seem to drain slower than any other rigs I have owned. They drain, just seems slower.
I will have to listen for noises.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #4

The vent on our pull trailer dosen't go up through the roof. It is a one way valve under the sink. If you have the same thing you can turn it or tap it and the one way valve may work better.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
The vent on our pull trailer dosen't go up through the roof. It is a one way valve under the sink. If you have the same thing you can turn it or tap it and the one way valve may work better.
If the valve you are talking about is at the top of the vertical drain line by the sink, it is an Air Admitance Valve (AAV). It's purpose is to admit air in the drain line when water is flowing to avoid syphoning water from the drain traps connected to the line. Typically, you will have one for the bathroom sink and one for the kitchen sink. The shower will probably drain into the same drain line as the bathroom sink and will be served by the same AAV.

Another one way valve that has been popular in Europe for years but is only just starting to be used on this side of the pond is a check valve that is installed horizontally between the sink and the vertical drain line. It functions as both a trap and an AAV. Unlike AAVs, the position of those is critical. lI haven't seen any in the 2011 Jaycos I've looked at but I haven't had a chance to look at any 2012s yet.

I would be surprised if your TT didn't have a roof vent for each of the holding tanks (they also can be combined into one roof vent). Depending on AAVs at the sinks and shower would be inadequate because if the gray water tank developed any pressure, it would have no where to go since an AAV only admits air, not releases it (and you sure wouldn't want to release the wonderful aroma lurking in your gray water tank into your living space!). The black water tank also needs a roof vent to release any pressure build up and draw in air when the toilet is flushed. Without a vent, any pressure build up in the tank would vent out through the toilet when flushed, not exactly a pleasant thing. When dumping the tank, air has to be admitted into the tank to allow it to flow or the tank might collapse and the water flow would be too slow to properly wash away the solids. Also, without a vent, the toilet would gurgle when flushed.

In the case of the OP, I suspect either the roof vent for the tank is blocked (bird's nest?) or the vent pipe has dropped down into the tank. Those are the most common causes of gurgling.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #6

I am a plumber and would suggest taking a garden hose up on the roof and run water down the vent while draining the tanks. If it backs up, then you have a plugged vent and will need to run a cable down it to clear the line. Do not use water preasure to blow it out or you may end up with a terrible mess when the water comes shooting out of all the drains in the camper. Good luck.
Myles6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #7

Sometimes they put the vent pipe too far into the tank.. and when the tank water covers the vent pipe you will get the gurgling sound... it is also not uncommon for the pipe to slip down a little on older rigs...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote