Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #1

Do you Really Need a 4 wheel drive to pull your 5vr?

Im torn, Do I really Need a 4 Wheel Drive to pull a 5vr. Im in NC, get little snow, dont plan on doing any offroad driving,Really on plan on pulling the camper with this Truck.... Do you really need a 4 wheel drive to pull your camper? I can see where it would be nice for that ONE event but wondering in your camping travels is it really necessary, Have you ever been stuck in a CampGround and needed it, Really needed it? I hear a 2WD pulls much smoother....
PS thanks to everyone answering my other post, I am almost there, went to look at an Eagle SuperLite bunk house today.
seewll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #2

Many folks need 4 wheel drive, but from the viewpoint of someone who hasn't needed a four wheel drive.... here's our experience....

Of all the years we've spent traveling the USA since the late 70's, we go where the weather is warmer (never camp or travel through area's where snowing, muddy, etc). We don't boondock in the 'boonies' nor do we live in a snowy region. Fortunate for us, at this point in our rv'ing years, we know where our future camping trips will be, so we can predict that we won't need the 4 wheel.

Over the years we've had a half ton and 3/4 ton. We've pulled tt's and a 5'er. Based on the above and using public/state c/g's in non-inclement weather, we've never had to use a 4 wheel to tow or in everyday life.

Based on your post, it doesn't sound like you need four wheel drive in your daily life(?). If you really don't camp or travel in inclement weather, or outside of city/public or asphalt/concrete streets, the cost of not buying a 4x4 can a buy a lot of fuel.

Hope this helps
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #3

I also live in NC. I have a 4x4, don't necessarily NEED it. I prefer a 4x4 because I like to sit up a little higher and I like the way they ride. I have had a couple instances where I have had to put it in 4 HI to get into a camp site. It was very loose gravel and going up hill backwards. Other than that, it's really your preference. I don't notice a difference in fuel mileage from others who have a 2WD version of my truck, I don't leave my hubs locked so the front axles don't turn while driving causing any extra drag.
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH "No Worries II"
2011 F-250 Super Duty Lariat, 6.7L PSD "The Mistress"
B&W Companion slider
mach8274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #4

Do you need a 4X4 to tow? No. Is it a nice "to have" item? Yes. I have used the 4 HI drive a few times while camping. One was in an OH state park that the site had a slight incline to get out of the site. The grass had morning dew when I went to leave and the rear tires began to spin. Flipped it into 4 HI and moved on out. All cases have been where there was damp grass and I used the 4X4 to get moving. I generally do not travel in bad weather nor do I off road. I rarely stay in RV parks that are not paved or at least graveled. I also go south for the winter. Would I buy a truck without 4X4? Sure if it was a great deal. Otherwise...no I would buy a 4X4. I have read that the 4X4 axle adds about 500# to the weight and you do pay to haul that extra weight around but I don't think that it is a significant cost. YMMV
Old 03-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #5

Agree with the above. I also have friends with 2WD versions of my truck, and mileage doesn't seem to be more than 1-2mph difference. And if you live in an area like mine, where we get snow and a lot of rain, 4WD does really come in handy sometimes. Only downside is that 4WD front axle u-joints tend to bind somewhat in sharp turns, but otherwise, pros certainly outweigh cons. JMHO
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach8274 View Post
I also live in NC. I have a 4x4, don't necessarily NEED it. I prefer a 4x4 because I like to sit up a little higher and I like the way they ride. I have had a couple instances where I have had to put it in 4 HI to get into a camp site. It was very loose gravel and going up hill backwards. Other than that, it's really your preference. I don't notice a difference in fuel mileage from others who have a 2WD version of my truck, I don't leave my hubs locked so the front axles don't turn while driving causing any extra drag.
I have a 4x4, and tow a TT not a 5ver. I really do not need the 4x4 for camping. However as others stated above I have used it on a number of occasions getting into a campsite, backing up, uphill, on gravel. I rarely go anyplace that has paved drive isles. It is a nice piece of mind knowing I have the ability to camp where I want to camp.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #7

I don't believe a 4X4 is at all ncessary if you live in an area that doesn't have a lot of ice or snow, or only travel when the weather is mild. I have a 4X4, and most of the time it isn't needed, but I travel some mountain passes in Fall and Spring........much better than chaining-up.
JT Strongarms
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #8

I bought my truck used, Dealer going out of buisiness, big bargain. Didn't think I needed it but what the heck. First trip with new then Camper we went to visit my son in Winston Salem N.C.
Long story short, when we went to leave it was after rain and freezing rain. we werre parked on grass, tried to leave and coould not move, truck just spun. Put it in 4 wheel drive and pulled right out. So instead of calling a tow truck and waiting who knows how long, we werre on our way. Since then it has come in handy numerous times getting into camp grounds etc.
I wouldn't be without it now!
Vietnam Vet USMC
judgerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #9

I consider the 4x4 drive train like insurance- Would not like to need it and not have it- Haven't used our 4x4 gears very often but sure liked having it when needed- Mostly on wet grass and/or muddy driveways in the cg's we prefer- JMHO- DD
Old 03-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #10

Four wheel drive is nice for the few occasions you could use it. That is the great thing about camping there is always someone there willing to help you out. I have a four wheel drive truck and used it once to pull out a two wheel drive dodge ram hooked to a 5vr. The trailer had sunk in the mud and the truck was spinning. But I have been camping for awhile and that was the only time I saw someone stuck. Now a two wheel drive truck has more towing capability then a four wheel drive. Less weight in the two wheel drive therefore better two capability. You will save in fuel costs also, no front drive train to turn. Hope this helps.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #11

yes all comments help!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #12

Welllllll... Our 2wd 3/4 ton truck will get stuck on wet grass if it even THINKS about raining (when not towing). Our neighbor has the same truck in a 1 ton duallie, and he never has that problem. We haven't had a problem towing our 5ver with it - maybe because that puts enough weight on the rear wheels to give us traction in most situations. Obviously the duallie has so much more of a contact patch on the ground that it will get traction long after a skinny single wheel will spin.

So the other posters advice is correct - you don't necessarily NEED a 4wd, but it could come in handy every so often (more than likely when you are NOT towing).

2wd trucks have higher tow ratings & get slightly better fuel economy, weigh less, and have less "stuff" to wear out. That said - there have been a few times that I wished that I had gone ahead & gotten a 4wd.

So if I was buying again I would have to look at my overall driving needs. The more daily street use you have of a truck the less you might want to deal with the complexity of a 4wd or the lack of maneuverability and parking hassles of a 1 ton.

For serious towing on a regular basis I would probably strongly consider either a 4wd, 1 ton, or both.
SouthRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #13

Well, I sure would buy the 4-wheel drive...but, then, we live in a "snow" zone, and, go south in mid-winter. Used the 4-wheel drive in every campground on the way to Arizona this year! Also, even just moving the 5th wheel around my acreage, in the summer time, have used it: Like when pushing the 5th wheel up onto a pad I built for it: Rear wheels were slipping; went to 4HI and moved it right up there.

Also, I like the extra weight in front of the truck... with all that extra pin weight on the rear axe when towing.

But, I suppose if you stay in the south (we lived in north Florida 20-years, so know that area, too), the 2-wheel drive could work. Yet, it would seem mountain camping in NC could also use 4-wheel drive at times.

Good luck with the decision... always something to consider!!
CookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #14

My $0.02 worth...4WD is not necessary. I have it on my truck because I bought the truck used and it happened to have 4WD. The two other trucks I was considering were 2WD. I have not needed it at all. I've only used it a couple times on gravel roads just to be sure that it worked. OTOH, I live in the desert and don't drive in rain much or snow at all. If you drive in snow or mud it might be worth having. Also, it would probably increase the resale value and make it easier to sell.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:45 AM   #15

I love mine

My first truck was 2WD. Like others; I had several experiences where it rained while I was camping in a site on grass. I hooked up and just spun the tires. That issue is solved with my 2006 4 WD drive truck. Expensive but worth it to me.
2 spoiled rotten Scotties
skymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #16

PS to anyone. I've been signed up here for over 2 years ans posted over 80 times. When am I no longer a new member?
2 spoiled rotten Scotties
skymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #17

Thanks again to everyone, the comments help to keep things in perspective.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymutt View Post
PS to anyone. I've been signed up here for over 2 years ans posted over 80 times. When am I no longer a new member?
At 100 posts - Full Member
At 500 posts - Senior Member
At 1,000 posts - Must Be Retired

Keep on camping, and keep on posting !
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #19

I have to have 4wd on my TV. I camp anywhere from up in the deserted mountains to the beaches on the lakes here in NM. I'd guess that I use the 4wd about 1/2 of the times that I camp. Had cases where even that was almost not enough to get out of a campsite, especially pulling out of a sandy beach.

I'd recommend evaluating how you plan on camping, and buying accordingly. If I was always in developed campgrounds I'd have to think hard about the extra expense that the 4wd entails.....

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #20

I have a 4x4 and have never used it towing... it always stays in the 2x4 mode.. I wish I could have found a 2x4 truck but up here the dealers refuse to take orders for a 2x4 diesel.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote