Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2019, 02:19 PM   #21

This has been an issue for almost a decade, I can't believe that this is still an issue, not just among Jayco, but among many brands.

The number of people that buy vs. the number that complain about the front cap must make it worth it to keep with this clearcoat process that doesn't hold up for more than a couple of year.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasguy View Post
Was wanting to get a few opinions before I contact Jayco. Still under warranty for a few more months. 2018 Jayco, does this cap look faded enough to you that warranty would cover it to be repainted? Mostly above the Jayco bird is the most noticeable part.
We had to have ours with the dark brown re-painted. Jayco dealer told us that whomever Jayco (and other mfg companies) purchased their paint from...the mfg did not put in the preventative to keep it from fading. Apparently more than one year as they didn't know which buckets of paint had it and which did not. Was covered under warranty. The dark brown showed up much worse than your color.
W Kearney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:47 PM   #23

Same exact thing happened to my 2017 eagle along with a stress crack on front cap. It drove me nuts !!! Jayco gave me no issues in covering the repairs. Body shop that did repair said it was poorly done in factory. Still looks great and hopefully it stays like that with 2 coats of wax a year. Good luck !
RobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:04 PM   #24

Faded

Jayco left out the UV addiitive I have been told. You need to get a estimate, and pictures , from a dealer. They will present the material to Jayco. If the shine is gone on your unit, you need to have it painted.
tjweaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Why wouldn't Jayco pay for the new decals? After all, the need for new decals to be applied is because the cap is faded and needs repainting.
I was told Jayco has paid up to 2500.00 to get the nose painted. I would not pay anything. I would have your dealer get you to a paint shop of there choice that will do the job for whatever the dealer can get out of Jayco. My thoughts.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:56 AM   #26

What ever you choose to do, document it to both Jayco and the Dealer. Jayco challenged a warranty claim when they said I did not contact them. My dealer, who happens to be a great dealer, did keep the email change and fought for me; we won. But without the documentation I think it would have been much more difficult.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #27

I just got my 27.5RLTS back 2 weeks ago. What a lengthy process to get this done. I started back in early part of year contacting the dealer. Should have contacted Jayco directly first. The dealer finally put through the request and it got turned down, too pricey. The second estimate was a bit too much so it got shot down. Then a third came through ok and was approved which now put me on the to do list. All in all I had to drag the RV up to the dealer and back home each time they would look at it and determine what would be done under warranty. I had a couple of things needing to be done. I probably put over 200 miles going back and forth getting the few issues taken care of.
Back to the paint job. It looked great except for the white powdery look of what ever they had on it when I got it home. Had to wash it off. Because they didn't have the Decals I had to bring it home and take it back a few weeks later to then be installed. Guess what wrong decals were put on, and I was told to take it home. Got the call to go back and new decals were in. Wrong again, now they said take it back home again and I said no. You keep it, I'll be back when you get it finished. They didn't want it sitting around as they have limited storage space. So, finally they got the right decals and the job was finished and warranty is over and now I can sit back and relax. No more dealing with the dealer.
end of story.
2014 F350 SD Lariat, 4X2, Ext.Cab 8'Bed, 6.2Ltr gas, 4:30 Rear ratio
2008 Cedar Creek Fifth Wheel 34TSA, 37' (traded in)
2017 Jayco Eagle HT Fifth Wheel 27.5 RLTS
bogadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:58 PM   #28

I am having the same fading problem. I have contacted and emailed pictures of the fading to my dealer after calling JAYCO and am waiting on a reply from my dealer.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190719_085742-1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	52174

I hope I have done the upload right of the picture.
B&W Companion 5th Wheel

Centerville,TN
backpack1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:02 PM   #29

Here is a close up of the fading.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190719_085800-1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	52176
B&W Companion 5th Wheel

Centerville,TN
backpack1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:24 PM   #30

Mine was repainted a couple months ago. The paint looks great now. Jayco changed from 3M stickers to a cheaper version. The replacements started peeling in a couple weeks. Once the stickers get replaced (yet again), I am going to put a ceramic protective coating on it.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:36 PM   #31

BE CAREFUL
I talked to my Jayco dealer, the one that sold me my 2015 Eagle Premier about the fading several times. They kept saying, “bring it in when you finally have time ti leave it”. When I did, they developed amnesia and said it was out of warranty.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:22 AM   #32

I’ve taken all the Jayco pinstripes etc off and am putting a full wrap in my camper, better protection
Kiwimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #33

Well this is my first post as I am new to this group. I have a 2016 355 MBQS with this fading issue. I am obviously out of warranty but has anyone else out of warranty had any luck with Jayco? I bought the extended Route 66 warranty from the dealership. I hope im not S $h!t out of luck.
SmokeShowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:33 PM   #34

I would sure try your warranty first and Jayco last. You might get it covered under Policy. You might ask Jayco if they have a Policy that thier paint job last longer than three years. That you realize your are out of the warranty range. Might let them know they left out the uv addiitive that is causing the fading.
It is a 2000.00 to 2500.00 dollar expenditure.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #35

The front caps on new TT and 5ers are not painted. That's fiberglass and has a gel coat applied at the manufacturer and they did something wrong and it's not holding up very long. Just about all fiberglass will have oxidation over time if not buffed and waxed regularly (look at boats). They will have to sand and paint with a quality base coat/clear coat like a body shop would use on your car if it's wrecked. That should hold up with regular waxing.
33ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #36

We have a 2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS that we special ordered and it just started with the same issue a month ago. Having to look into having this taken care of also and hoping the cost won't be on us because our unit is no longer under warranty.
wheelsofserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #37

Update: we got our 28.5RSTS back from the paint shop and it looks great. The only drawback was the person who did the job applied masking tape over half the width of the sealant on top of the cap and didn't take the time to cover the sealant properly and trim around it like a good body shop professional would have. The result was a coat of clearcoat applied over the dicor sealant on top of the cap and I didn't notice it until I got it home. Other than that it looks great.
Attached Thumbnails
20190815_115515.jpg  
Quick Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:22 PM   #38
Site Team

Looks GREAT!!!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:53 AM   #39

We have a 2017 Eagle. My cap has faded significantly and was first noticeable 30 months into ownership. This is an obvious quality control issue at Jayco. They would not cover and
even though the work done was crap. Our camper stayed covered when not in use and I have always cleaned and even waxed the camper. I would definitely jump on this with Jayco as soon as you notice first signs of fading because once you hit that magic number on warranty they will not help you even if it is a factory issue.
toddtraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #40

Awesome Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Step View Post
Update: we got our 28.5RSTS back from the paint shop and it looks great. The only drawback was the person who did the job applied masking tape over half the width of the sealant on top of the cap and didn't take the time to cover the sealant properly and trim around it like a good body shop professional would have. The result was a coat of clearcoat applied over the dicor sealant on top of the cap and I didn't notice it until I got it home. Other than that it looks great.
Did you have to pay out of pocket for the repair?
wheelsofserenity is offline   Reply With Quote