Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #61
Lost in the Woods

Another option for all of you having this problem, and Jayco won't pay for it. Have a local vehicle vinyl wrap guy design and cover the complete cap with a new wrap. What they can do with vinyl today is amazing.

I had a local guy do my complete exterior of my rig when I brought it home new.

Plus, why go put Jayco's name back on it? Why advertise for them?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #62

Awesome Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by villui View Post
Hi: Would originally having full-body paint job have avoided the fading issue? I'm trying to figure out if I should buy one with full-body paint or not.
The issue with the fading as I've been told was due to Jayco negelecting to put the UV protectant in the paint for the gel coat. It is only the front cap fading not the entire trailer.
wheelsofserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:57 AM   #63

Those of you that have had your cap repainted by the factory. Did they do a base coat, clear coat system or did they sand and buff out the cap and then clear coat?
I talked to the factory and all they want to do is sand and buff out the cap then clear coat and in all my years of painting (around 45yrs) that does not sound right. They are wanting to put a band-aid on my new FW. 2018 28.5 RSTS.
The Rep. told me they do not let the customer tell them how to repair the unit.
Has any one given any thought to a class action lawsuit for this problem.
33ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33ratrod View Post
Those of you that have had your cap repainted by the factory. Did they do a base coat, clear coat system or did they sand and buff out the cap and then clear coat?
I talked to the factory and all they want to do is sand and buff out the cap then clear coat and in all my years of painting (around 45yrs) that does not sound right. They are wanting to put a band-aid on my new FW. 2018 28.5 RSTS.

I had mine done by a body shop since my dealer didn't do that work. They sanded it, repainted it, and then clear coated it. It looks great. I did not have the decals put back on it so it looks a little "naked" but the job is great. They did it for the $1500.00 or less. I don't know the exact cost but I know I didn't pay a dime.
Attached Thumbnails
20190829_101936.jpg  
B&W Companion 5th Wheel

Centerville,TN
backpack1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:09 AM   #65

Awesome Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33ratrod View Post
Ours is going to a body shop that our dealer uses for paint jobs they don't personally do paint at the dealership. Waiting to hear back from the dealer for when we are scheduled to bring it in.The dealer has told us that this body shop is very reputable and paint million dollar motor homes for them so hopefully it will come out perfect. It is to be fully covered by Jayco so we will see and will keep you posted.
wheelsofserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:19 AM   #66
Lost in the Woods

I was told by Jayco that these front caps all come in from China already painted. No wonder they fade ! If your dealer uses quality materials (especially the clear) you should not see any fading for 10 years, especially in that color.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:28 PM   #67

My dealer said the don't do recoats they replace the front cap.
Kennessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:19 PM   #68

Dealers can not make that call, only Jayco. Also that is an incorrect statement from the dealer. I talked to Jayco about having mine replaced instead of having it sanded and painted. Jayco told me it is a cost factor. It is much cheaper to sand and paint than to replace. Also you are getting automotive paint and clear coat which is much better then the gel coat. A dealer will not make a repair or replacement until Jayco approves it.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennessa View Post
My dealer said the don't do recoats they replace the front cap.
I haven't heard anybody say anything about replacing the cap. Jayco told me $1500.00 max to sand and redo. Can't believe you can get the cap replaced for that even if Jayco allowed it.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #70

FYI - I contacted Jayco directly with photos and VIN # and Jayco instructed me to contact my dealer to file a claim. Went to my dealer, and they told me Jayco would not cover, and I told them to file claim Anyway. Not sure what my options are now, I guess I’m at the Mercy of my dealer doing there job?
JLFrisby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:35 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLFrisby View Post
FYI - I contacted Jayco directly with photos and VIN # and Jayco instructed me to contact my dealer to file a claim. Went to my dealer, and they told me Jayco would not cover, and I told them to file claim Anyway. Not sure what my options are now, I guess I’m at the Mercy of my dealer doing there job?
Call Jayco back and tell them your dealer said Jayco wouldn't cover it and you told them to file a claim anyway and you wanted to make sure they did. They can pull up your history and current claims.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:09 PM   #72

I have a 2018. I turned in my faded cap claim today. My 2013 had same issue. You would think they would eventually get it right.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:39 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLFrisby View Post
What year is your trailer? Is it still under warranty?

If it is older and out of warranty, you could just live with it. I would be concerned over time about being weather tight in some climates. You can pay to have it done right. That is about 2 grand around here. Depending on how bad it is currently, you could attempt some level of repair yourself. If it just started, you could prep and auto clear coat it.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:57 PM   #74

Always document with an email to Jayco. Then there is no confusion and phone conversations are not conveniently forgotten.
Ram Laramie 3500, asin, 4x4, DRW 4:10.
2018 NORTH POINT 315, 8K Axles,disk brakes and 17.5"
WayneTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasguy View Post
Was wanting to get a few opinions before I contact Jayco. Still under warranty for a few more months. 2018 Jayco, does this cap look faded enough to you that warranty would cover it to be repainted? Mostly above the Jayco bird is the most noticeable part.
I just wanted to add Jayco took care of me and front cap was repainted and new decal at no cost to me under warranty.

I used a dealer I did not buy it at, "Camping World of Las Vegas" for the warranty work, I took it there knowing it would be there for a while because of their reputation and not buying from them. Honestly if it would have taken them another two months it would have worked better for me. I am happy with the results.

Took about 3 months for them to repair it. Most of that was supposedly 2 months to get the decal. They said I could take it home and return when they got the decal in but I left it there because I knew I wouldn't be using it.
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:17 PM   #76

That’s way to long for decal that anyone can print off
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:01 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
That’s way to long for decal that anyone can print off
I agree it was a long time but I don't think "anyone" can print them off. One being under warranty it had to come from Jayco.

Two it seems for "anyone" to print them from say a local shop, that shop would have to be authorized by Jayco to print their name and logo.

As bad as the factory caps are at fading, I bet Jayco is sending out new decals as fast as they come in.
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #78
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasguy View Post
I agree it was a long time but I don't think "anyone" can print them off. One being under warranty it had to come from Jayco.

Two it seems for "anyone" to print them from say a local shop, that shop would have to be authorized by Jayco to print their name and logo.

As bad as the factory caps are at fading, I bet Jayco is sending out new decals as fast as they come in.
My issue with that is, it's bad enough that the caps fade, and you lose the time to have to drop it off and get fixed. It's nice that Jayco picks up the tab for the repair, but you lose camping time until the dealer finishes the work. If it takes a month or two to get the decals in, that's really a bad reflection on Jayco.

Plus, I have a personal issue putting a big "Jayco" sticker back on the rig. My feeling, if Jayco wants me to drive around with THEIR name plastered on all four sides of my rig, as advertising for THEM, then pay me for that service.

This is one reason why I got my rig completely wrapped as soon as I brought it home. I PAID for the rig, now I'm going to give Jayco FREE advertising where ever I drive??? I don't think so...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote