Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2018, 09:59 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
How is Canadian water heavier then US water??
Its not but one Imperial Gallon is about 1.2 US gallons.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:25 AM   #62

I've never traveled with a full tank of water, simply because I've never needed to leave home with 84 gallons of fresh water. If I were going to be off grid for a couple of weeks, I would carry that.

As it is, I never have between 1/3 and 2/3 tank of fresh water. That's more than enough to cover my boondocking days.

While there is some mpg penalty for carry a full load of water, I find bigger penalties due to speed, wind direction, and how cold the air temperature is.

Driving through a city in stop and go traffic would exact a noticeable penalty in fuel mileage, but this isn't likely to happen.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:48 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Its not but one Imperial Gallon is about 1.2 US gallons.
If a water tank in a US made RV is 75 US gallons, it will hold 75 gallons no matter what country and water should weigh the same. You can't fit 1.2 gallons in a 1 gallon container. Your full water tank weighs the same full in Canada as it does in the US. I know your measurements are different, but the tank size doesn't change metric verses US.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabMan View Post
Agree that wind/frontal surface area and speed has the largest affect on mileage. We travel with our FW full probably 75% of the time, 102 gal capacity. I see no difference in mileage full or 1/4 full over the last 4 years/ 60,000+ miles towing. On the other hand, my right foot on the pedal can make or break the mileage. That lack of self control and wind cost me much more in fuel than the ~900# weight difference.
I sometime wonder how much the people worrying about mileage actually tow yearly. I know for a fact the difference between the 9 mpg and 9.8 mpg I typically get with my Duramax spread out over the 15,000 miles year towing we average is less than $350 a year. Not near enough to make me change one way or the other. LOL
Wind direction makes a much bigger difference for me than travel weight. This yr I was running into a headwind all day and got 8.8mpg and the next day I had a tailwind for the first 50mi and indicated 16.5mpg, after a change in heading I ended the day at 12.5mpg after 200mi. For the trip from Ontario to AZ I avg'd 10.2mpg in 2500mi. All from the dash display. Just need to figure out how to always have a tailwind and be going downhill.

We have full water tank when we head out boondocking.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:59 AM   #65

We also do not travel with full tanks for two reasons.

We do not boondock and we are near our GVWR on the trailer with empty tanks. Full tanks would put us over that limit by a substantial amount. When getting ready to roll I empty the black and grey and put about 1/4 in the fresh.

No, I am not concerned about the strength of the mounting. Yes, I have heard horror stories. Heck, I've seen a large DP with a black tank hanging under it. Things happen.

Our older rigs we used for camping a lot. Always traveled with full fresh tanks. Yes, in some cases it can make handling worse depending on where your tanks are relative to the axles. One trailler we had the black and grey were in the back and the fresh was in front of the axle. That one liked a full fresh tank and empty waste tanks.

If being overloaded was not an issue I'd travel with mostly full fresh tank.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #66

Quote:
If a water tank in a US made RV is 75 US gallons, it will hold 75 gallons no matter what country and water should weigh the same. You can't fit 1.2 gallons in a 1 gallon container. Your full water tank weighs the same full in Canada as it does in the US. I know your measurements are different, but the tank size doesn't change metric verses US.

Earl
DARN!
I was hoping I could fill up in Canada and be able to carry 132 gal in my Octane instead of the normal 110 I have now!
mattchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:36 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchew View Post
DARN!
I was hoping I could fill up in Canada and be able to carry 132 gal in my Octane instead of the normal 110 I have now!
Apparently you can lol

Earl
Old 01-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #68

Before we go too far down this rabbit hole... some clarification may be in order.

Both US and Imperial (not "metric") gallons are made up of 8 pints.
However, a US pint contains 16 fluid ounces, and the Imperial pint is 20 fl oz
This was standardised in 1884 by the Weights and Measures Act, but that didn't apply to the US, who kept to the older 16-oz measure.
Thus, the Imperial measure is 25% greater,

A US "liquid gallon" * of clean water weights about 8.3 pounds, or roughly 3.7Kg
An imperial gallon weighs 10 pounds/4.5 Kg
(yes, those are gross over-simplifications, neglecting temperature and pressure and other good stuff but they're close enough for our purposes)

... and all this on just one cup of coffee ! My old physics teacher would be proud :-)

*If you want to get really deep, there's also the "US dry gallon", defined as 1/8 of a bushel...:-)

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #69

Quote:
How is Canadian water heavier then US water??

My trailer weights over 12k loaded ready to go. 625 lbs of water at that weight isn't even noticeable. At 70 mph at over 12k, fuel economy isnt going to be great, water full or not. Rving is an extremely expensive hobby. When it comes to fuel economy, my concern is making sure my tank has fuel in it when I'm in remote areas, which is 90% of the time.

Earl
american gallons are smaller.that was my point.canadian(imperial)are 160 ounces.
trento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #70

more money than brains i guess.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #71

thank you my bonnie good man,now thats using your loaf
Old 01-20-2018, 05:44 PM   #72

totally missing the point.when it says x amount that the tank will hold.Its always in american gallons.the only country in the world that doesnt use metric.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:14 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by trento View Post
more money than brains i guess.
I actually have both! My finances are none of your concern. Not sure what that has to do with water in a tank.
But how does a water tank hold more water in Canada than US? It's just not possible. It just isn't. Go to a hardware store, buy a bucket of any size. Fill it with water in both the US and Canada. It will surprise you, but it will hold the same amount of water in either country. This would hold true anywhere in the world.

Earl
Old 01-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #74

I give up....

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote