Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2017, 08:16 PM   #1
tld

Does a King Pin Tripod Stabilizer Make a Noticeable Difference?

I get a little more shaking than I like when parked and just was wondering if using a King Pin tripod stabilizer would make enough difference to be worth the cost and the hassle of hauling it around?
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:24 PM   #2

Do you have JT strongarms? If not, I would look into those before the tripod. No hauling them around as they are permanently attached

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:49 PM   #3

Yes it will help but totally elimate your shake it won't. There are things to add to this problem which I will be doing down the road.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:36 PM   #4

I've noticed the same thing with our 5th wheel - when it's parked and we're camping you can feel movement from the other end of the trailer. I can sit in the lazy boy watching tv and can feel my wife walking around in the bedroom on the other end. I've seen a few aftermarket options (fixed and temporary) but don't know what works the best to resolve the shifting around. Note: We've got a Lippert 4pt auto-level but that doesn't seem to do anything for the movement so much as the rig being level to the ground.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #5

Here is what I use on my trailer which pretty much eliminates (as much as can be with 3 kids jumping and running around) most movement.
I have 6 point leveling system with JT strong arm on the front landing gear. I also use X-chocks between the tires (in addition to regular wheel chocks).
I think the x-chocks are key. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:18 PM   #6

I have a pin tripod and never use it. I leave it leaning against the side of the shed.

I fab'd a set of stabilizer arms for the front legs and they make the trailer rock solid when tight.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:29 PM   #7

You can't go wrong with the JT strong arm stabilizers. Had them installed on my Montana and it immediately eliminated any movement. Well worth the money and it added about an extra 60 seconds to the set up process.
While I'm here, has anyone added stabilizers to their auto leveling system? My is only a 4 point, small FW but we still get some movement.
Thanks in advance for any advise.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
I have a pin tripod and never use it. I leave it leaning against the side of the shed.

I fab'd a set of stabilizer arms for the front legs and they make the trailer rock solid when tight.
PlayerZ28 - can you provide a picture of your stabilizer arms? - Thanks
Old 10-26-2017, 07:34 PM   #9

I made them up out of square tube and welded the supports for the lentghwise arms to the bottom of the main beam. The cross supports are held by a pair of angles I welded in under the center of the trailer. As the side supports are at a varying angle I uses a pair of 3/8" socket set universals to permit the motion. I used the holes in the legs to connect the lower ends. Total cost for materials was about 80$US

I've tried attaching a jpg using the "Add Video" button, don't know if that works. Any other forums I'm on allow uploading images to a post.

Edit:no picture showed up. how do I put a picture on a post?
Ed2:NVM, figured it out, lame arse forum software
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer_stab1-sm.jpg   Trailer_stab2-sm.jpg   Trailer_stab3-sm.jpg   Trailer_stab4-sm.jpg  
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #10

I don't walk into the pin box nearly as much with the tripod set up
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
PlayerZ28 - can you provide a picture of your stabilizer arms? - Thanks
The BAL stabilizer system is a lot less expensive than the JT system. Not as elegant, but if you want to save money and aren't prepared to DIY, they are an option.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #12

On my 16 Eagle only have 4 stabilizer jacks. The king pin stabilizer was only 79 bucks. Does make a difference, I think it also keeps a little stress off the front jacks. We use it all the time! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:58 AM   #13

They all make a difference to some extent.

The least expensive are to add some screw jacks under the frame. You can buy them in packages of 4 pretty cheap.

King pin will help some as well.

Good wheel chocks add quite a bit. X type are good but you can get the same result with regular wheel chocks if you take the time to 'wedge' them in place.

Stabilizer arms. We have the JT but any will work, including home made.

Bottom line. I found that the easiest to use are the X chocks and JT stabilizers (I didn't want to make my own) and those are the two we use.

The stabilizer arms make the most difference of any of the options listed. They do not remove ALL the shake, but, they do make a huge difference.

But....if you get 8 of the screw jacks and install them under the frame you will have probably the most stable setup. Not easy to get set up or take down, but, they work.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
They all make a difference to some extent.

The least expensive are to add some screw jacks under the frame. You can buy them in packages of 4 pretty cheap.

King pin will help some as well.

Good wheel chocks add quite a bit. X type are good but you can get the same result with regular wheel chocks if you take the time to 'wedge' them in place.

Stabilizer arms. We have the JT but any will work, including home made.

Bottom line. I found that the easiest to use are the X chocks and JT stabilizers (I didn't want to make my own) and those are the two we use.

The stabilizer arms make the most difference of any of the options listed. They do not remove ALL the shake, but, they do make a huge difference.

But....if you get 8 of the screw jacks and install them under the frame you will have probably the most stable setup. Not easy to get set up or take down, but, they work.
+1. This is what I do. Pretty stable once dialed all in. Nothing to carry or forget either.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #15

Yes it helps but doesn't elimate all the wiggle. On a weekend I don't use mine, but for a week or more it's in place.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #16

On my previous 38' 5er the tripod helped somewhat but on my current 30' 5er it doesn't seem to help at all.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #17

For our 16 Eagle 321 RSTS is was worth the 80 bucks we got the steel constructed unit.Easy to haul around and set up.Maybe takes a little stress off the front jacks, helps front end wobble.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:36 AM   #18

Use the tripod all the time and two screw type stabilizers on the rear bumper. Gets the job done.

PERFECT IS THE ENEMY OF GOOD ENOUGH
2016 Ford F250 (TOTALED BY DRUNK DRIVER)
US Army Retired (27 yrs). AT&T Retired (16 yrs)

fowl8717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:02 AM   #19

We did not notice much difference in movement using a tripod. We no longer have one. A few things that help is to use more blocking under the levelers. The shorter the legs extend the less wiggle. Also don't drop the adjustable portion of the front legs down until they are just above the ground. Let the square tube do the lifting as they are more solid and you will have less chance of a leg losing it's memory location. (Got the memory location information from Lippert when I had a problem) Add wheel chocks and it will be pretty stable.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote