Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2018, 08:46 PM   #1

Dometic or Coleman Air Conditioner?

I am installing a second air conditioner in my 2015 Pinnacle and am looking at two low profile models, the Coleman Mach 8 and the Dometic Penquin II. Has anyone got any recommendations of one over the other or is it a coin toss?
bluebuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:30 PM   #2

My rig has a Coleman low profile unit. 13.5

It's LOUD on the outside.......sounds like an F-35 on approach....seriously
I don't know if you can compare sound levels between the two by any specs.

Cooling is is rather lackluster....but that could have been due to the record heat wave of 114 degrees in Yuma AZ last July.
The unit took several hours to get where it was doable inside to hit the sack.

I also don't know what they do to get the unit as "low profile"....less cooling fins, condensor or a smaller compressor?....

I needed that low profile to clear a 11.5 garage entry height.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:40 PM   #3

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
I’m assuming you’re installing the second a/c up front? My 2017 North Point 377 came with two (15k) Coleman Mach 8s. I don’t think the front unit is all that loud...outside both are same loudness, but the front (in master bedroom) has direct vent so naturally a little louder than the rear unit, due to the ducting... and much quieter on inside.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:09 AM   #4

Yes, the second one is going in the bedroom in the vent opening. When you say direct vent, I assume you are saying that it vents directly into the bedroom. The two vents in the opening are both about one inch by eight inches, are those return air vents?
Old 06-12-2018, 07:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebuffalo View Post
The two vents in the opening are both about one inch by eight inches, are those return air vents?
No those are for the ducted system. It all depends on what ceiling assembly you buy as to how the unit functions. You can use the ducted or non ducted assembly.

With that said it is designed to operate with a ducted assembly.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:42 AM   #6

I've been reading many complaints about the Dometic AC units lately. mentions of lack luster cooling and lots of cycling.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #7

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebuffalo View Post
Yes, the second one is going in the bedroom in the vent opening. When you say direct vent, I assume you are saying that it vents directly into the bedroom. The two vents in the opening are both about one inch by eight inches, are those return air vents?

Just curious what the 1x8” ducts look like. Can you post a picture of the whole ceiling in your bedroom? Is there any air coming from them? I thought they’d be round like the rest of the coach.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:21 AM   #8

Thanks all for the responses and the help, I guess I will go with the Coleman unit since that is what the other unit is. Dskyward, The one inch by eight inch (or close to that) are actually feeding into the vent opening where the air conditioner will go and are taped shut. These actually are ducts in the ceiling, and I thought they were air returns feeding into the air conditioner, but thanks for pointing out grumpy that they are actually output cooling ducts, which is how I will want to go so that the second A/C also feeds the central air system. I guess I could have proved they were outputs by removing the tape on one and running the main air conditioner. Thanks again all!
Old 06-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #9

We have two Coleman 15s, three years old no complaints.Just need a 50amp service to run both. If watching TV we run bedroom unit to quiet things down. Did pull all AC vents last winter. Used spray foam to seal gap from duct work and ceiling. Could not tell much difference took a couple hours! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Good Eagle Solar.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #10

I have always had good luck with the Colman units. The hand full of people that I know that have had a/c problems they have all been Dometic. Just my .02
2020 F-450 Lariat 6.7l CCLB DRW
rkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #11

I agree with everything you said about the Mach 8. I have several problems with mine, noise notwithstanding.
Curt Q20 Hitch. Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Air bags. Airlift Wireless One compressor.
cgbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:01 PM   #12

Our Coleman's have been running almost nonstop for about a month out here in NM. In SC last summer they ran a bunch of hours as well. I'd probably buy another Coleman if I needed one.

The unit in the bedroom does supply air to the duct system in the trailer, and, it also has two direct outlets that can be closed off to force more air into the ducts.

As someone else said, when we only need to run one, we will run the bedroom unit during the day since it is quiter when sitting in the living/kitchen area. Vice versa at night.

If you have no shade for your rig the two AC units will handle low 100F temps ok. When it goes over 105 the inside will get a bit warm. If you will be in high heat areas get dual pane windows or have them tinted. Slide toppers also help. We saw 107F yesterday and the inside temp was 83F.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote