Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2020, 07:42 AM   #1

draining Grey / Black water

Can someone please help! Last night My control panel said my Gray #2 tank is full and my black #1 tank is also full. Last night the sink water was not draining. ALL VALVES ARE OPEN OUTSIDE, I believe. We figured it was plugged and tried the cleaning system outside, and it drained great. Black tank went down a little, but gray tank said its still full? After doing dishes this morning, black tank is now full again and gray tank is also still full?
We are full time RV'ers, and figured I'd ask here before calling out an expensive plumber!!
It's a 2020 Jayco luxury 377RLBH
liliana012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:56 AM   #2

My first guess is that the gauges are at fault. Have you tried turning off the water and looking down the toilet with a flashlight to see if in fact it's full? If the gray 2 is for the kitchen, then if it is indeed full running more water into the sink should cause it to backup into the sink. Betting on gauges either mis-wired or defective.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:00 AM   #3

Toilet does not seem full at all. It drains perfectly. So does the shower and bathroom sink. On the other hand sink is draining but it's not coming out outside? Weird right?
Old 08-13-2020, 08:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliana012 View Post
. ALL VALVES ARE OPEN OUTSIDE
Don't leave the black tank valve open, that is a BIG NO NO.... If you have been leaving it open you will end up with a plugged tank for sure. Only open to drain when the tank is full.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:41 AM   #5

Like said above do not, absolutely do not leave your black tank open until it is full - if you hear burping the tank is getting full. If you have left it open, close it and you need to add water ASAP plus chemical to help break down the pile that is starting. Put a squirt or two of blue Dawn in as well.

Now as for your kitchen sink, look further back just in front of your tires for another pull handle.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:01 AM   #6

Can’t say much more than has already been said.

#1- your tanks sensors are junk, don’t trust them, after you camp enough you’ll get a feel for how full your tanks get in a given amount of time. Worst case, the grey tank is full when sinks and shower don’t drain anymore. Worst case, black tank is getting full when it “burps” when you flush.

#2- like said before, never leave the black tank valve open. Let it get plenty of waste and water built up before dumping. The sudden release of all the fluid helps clear out the solids. Use lots of water when flushing, lots of us even go as far as pouring extra down there (I use my soapy sink water, I wash dishes in a small rubbbermaid that fits perfectly in the sink). The extra soapy water mix will help break down solids and keep them from causing a clog.

#3- Use seal conditioners now and again to keep your valve seals nice and soft and toilet ball valve working well. Use black tank additives to reduce smell and accelerate waste decomposition. Take care of your waste water system (grey and black) and you’ll thank yourself down the road.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:04 AM   #7

Welcome aboard! Lots of good advice. How long have you had your NP?

Your NP has 1 black tank and 2 grey water tanks. The sensors are notorious for giving false readings. TP or grease tends to build up on them, and they say the tank is full when they are not.

As others said your black tank valve should be kept closed. Make sure to add a ton of water to that tank after dumping and when you flush. You do not want the dreaded poop Pyramid.

If you have a NP, you have two grey water tanks, typically the kitchen sink is independent of the bathroom. This means you have 3 waste valves outside, those two grey water valves can be left open. Good to close at least one, a few days before moving on, so you can use that rush of water to help flush the sewer hose before unhooking. Back to the kitchen sink; if that outside drain valve is open, and your sink is slow to drain, I suspect your AVV (spring actuated vent valve located under the sink) might be stuck closed, and your sink cannot drain properly. When the sink is drained, and know the tank is empty, or at least partially, look under the sink, remove it, exercise it, (open and close it a number of times). There maybe some injection mold flash that is causing the AVV to stick. Exercising the valve will wear off any excess flash.

I hope this helps

https://www.jayco.com/products/fifth...point/377rlbh/ Click on "View Specifications" to see your tank sizes

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:15 AM   #8

We are stationary at an RV park now, we live in our 2020 North Point, had it for about a year. The only problem is that the sink water is not draining outside, valve is open, but no water coming out! All other fluids will drain excpet the kitchen sink, I don't know where it is draining to!
Old 08-13-2020, 09:20 AM   #9

Quote:
We are stationary at an RV park now, we live in our 2020 North Point, had it for about a year. The only problem is that the sink water is not draining outside, valve is open, but no water coming out! All other fluids will drain excpet the kitchen sink, I don't know where it is draining to!
Did you look for a second pull? We have 2 and one is in the station and the other is in front of the tires back from the side - a little difficult to see.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:23 AM   #10

Does it look like a regular valve pull? All I see is a little white valve that you turn instead of pulling?!
Old 08-13-2020, 09:33 AM   #11
Site Team

The little white valve is either a low point drain or the drain for the fresh water tank. You don't need to open that one.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Does it look like a regular valve pull?
Yes, it will look like the other 2. Should be in the area of the kitchen on the bottom of the trailer.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:58 AM   #13

Ok they where both open. I just don't get why the kitchen sink is not draining out side.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:01 AM   #14

Could be the valve handle and rod are not physically attached to the drain valve...

Old 08-13-2020, 10:07 AM   #15

As I don't have 2 gray tanks I can only offer a suggestion as to what I would do to troubleshoot. Look under the rig and follow the 3" drain pipe run. See if it runs to 2 different tanks. If there are 2 tanks from what others have said there will be a 3rd drain valve.

Shouldn't be too difficult to see those large drain pipes.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #16

Ok I did everything. I finally went down and bought drano. I know I'm not supposed to put that in there, but I was running out of options. MY SINK IS NOW DRAINING OUTSIDE!!! YAY!
Any ideas of what I can do to prevent that of happening again?!
Old 08-13-2020, 10:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Ok I did everything. I finally went down and bought drano. I know I'm not supposed to put that in there, but I was running out of options. MY SINK IS NOW DRAINING OUTSIDE!!! YAY!

We allow absolutely no solids of any kind down the sink drains. All dishes, pots, etc are wiped down with paper towel before final wash. That way only soapy water goes down (or other true liquids). Even my french press coffee pot gets rinsed of grounds outside before being washed in the sink. The plumbing is not as forgiving as that of a stix and brix. Use a hair strainer in the shower, too. Now we never have problems.

You'll get used to it!

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
We allow absolutely no solids of any kind down the sink drains. All dishes, pots, etc are wiped down with paper towel before final wash. That way only soapy water goes down (or other true liquids). Even my french press coffee pot gets rinsed of grounds outside before being washed in the sink. The plumbing is not as forgiving as that of a stix and brix. Use a hair strainer in the shower, too. Now we never have problems.

You'll get used to it!

Angus
X2

It could be a number of different things. Easy item is grease build up in the P-Trap. Or I hate to say it, but when the cut the access into the tank, they may have dropped the scrap disk into the tank and it was not removed, and it is partial blocking the drain port, mix a little grease in there too, and what a mess. We try to keep grease and food particle out of our waste tanks.

Glad it is working again,

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:33 PM   #19

Quote:
What type of dish soap are you using? Just curious.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:34 PM   #20

Dawn....
Well it worked for a while, it drained for at least 10 minutes. Now it's not draining at all again. ��