Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2017, 06:07 PM   #21

I lifted an inch and lowered the middle and rear levellers an inch.
It's much nicer for level now.
I need to check the overall height. I want to stay below 13'6

2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:11 PM   #22

I'm still dealing with this issue. I have a 2017 F250 4x4 and a 2017 Jayco 29.5 BHDS. I think from nose to tail, I'm about 6-7 inches off. I'm pulling the trailer with an Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel hitch. The ball is on the second notch, which gives me about 5.5 - 6 inches of clearance form the middle of the tailgate to the trailer (the tailgate on the new ford are angled - not flat). With the ball all the way lowered, it was about 4.5 inches from tailgate to trailer.

I went to a local dealer, and they wanted to outfit my truck and trailer with about 15k worth of crap.. That represents nearly half the cost of the trailer alone! Apparently I look like a sucker.

Most people have said welding a subframe is the way to go.. However, the places I've called that say they can do it don't sound super confident in their abilities.. The RV dealerships I've called are virtually useless around here (hence why I bought out of town).

Trailer pulls great.. So I'm really chasing the "fear" of nose high trailers spontaneously blowing tires and snapping axels..

Still no closer to finding a solution. I'd be happy welding a sub frame if I could find some place that actually understood my issue and gave me some sort of confidence that they've done this sort of thing before.

I watch the forums hoping someone with a similar setup finds a way to fix this..
datx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:35 PM   #23

I hear ya datx, the 2017 is tall.
I've seen the sub frame before. Those axels would have to be lined back up and install cross members from/to the spring hangers and the middle hangers.
I would think you need some one talented.
I would check out some shops that do leaf spring suspensions. I have a place near where I live. I'm almost positive they could pull something like that off. They make and install custom suspensions

I guess 16" rims with a tall profile tire isn't an option because of wheel spacing??
That other MorRyde suspension unit rides another 2" taller I hear.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Got it back from the dealer today and took this photo. I the nose is just under 3 inches higher than the tail. No more adjustment left in the pin box or the hitch to maintain 6" above the bed. I don't want to lower the springs so I'm calling it good enough and going camping....
I am curious how some of you guys are figuring out you are so "nose high" when your fifth wheels look fine??
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:21 AM   #25

Prior to taking delivery of our 5th wheel i went to the dealer to hook up and look at the clearances. I was slightly nose high but nothing to worry about. However, the rear was very low on the trailer and I was worried about bottoming out the jacks.

My spring hangers had no additional holes. My solution was to purchase the Lippert Correct Track system (Approx. 250). It is designed to align the axles (Authorized dealers only). However, a side benefit is that it raises the trailer 2". Install was very straightforward and only took a few hours. Result was exactly what I wanted. As this is a lip pert product they cannot say anything about messing with the axles. I also called Mor-Ryde and they had no issues with it either. Plenty of videos on the Lippert website. Might be worth a look.
Fishermanbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:22 AM   #26

Eyeballing, measurements and levels. Measure from the bottom of the frame in several locations to the ground while on flat level surface is a good way.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:08 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
I am curious how some of you guys are figuring out you are so "nose high" when your fifth wheels look fine??
I go by leveling the 5er with a level in the refrigerator (freezer) installing my (2) exterior levels front to rear and side to side. Then hook up 5er and check front to rear level - in my case I'm 1.5"high.
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:22 AM   #28

These guys chasing a couple of inches over the length of a 30+ foot trailer are wasting their time and money. The roads we tow on are not flat and never will be. It's a non-issue, imho.

I'm guessing somewhere around 99% or more of the people that tow trailers, never visit a internet forum, never change the hitch settings that the trailer was delivered with, and never snap axles.

Get it close, go camping and quit worrying.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:01 AM   #29

They also pull better when a little nose high.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:30 AM   #30

Some of it is personal preference. But if your too pin high or low it will cause issues. Maybe the guy that camps weekends 20 miles from home never has an issue. But people like me that put lots of miles on their trailer and pull at 70 to 75 mph need the axles carrying weight as equal as possible. Especially since the manufacturers like to use borderline axles and tires. Another issue pin high causes is a smaller gap between the bed rails and the trailer at the rear. I myself wouldn't worry about 1" to 2" but more than that I'd be concerned. I surely wouldn't want many inches.

But where one guy is ok with 6" pin high another wouldn't. I surely wouldn't. But everyone is different. One guy thinks the other guy is crazy when he wants to get closer to level while the guy like me thinks the other is really crazy for towing way off level lol

Earl
Old 05-09-2017, 10:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
One guy thinks the other guy is crazy when he wasn't to get closer to level while the guy like me thinks the other is really crazy for towing way off level lol

Earl
Is this a great country or what!
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #32

I'm looking for some help here, I recently did the Wet Bolt Kit install, very nice compared to stock trash they use, here's the problem , because I read here somewhere dropping the rear springs help to level the unit out when hitched, I noticed the nose was a little high and decided while I had it all apart, why not, but only moved the rear spring down, something doesn't seem right now, Ill try to post a pic and you can send me your a D*mb Ass comment no problem, lol just let me know what gives.
Thanks in advance
Pete

ont-tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ont-tt View Post
I'm looking for some help here, I recently did the Wet Bolt Kit install, very nice compared to stock trash they use, here's the problem , because I read here somewhere dropping the rear springs help to level the unit out when hitched, I noticed the nose was a little high and decided while I had it all apart, why not, but only moved the rear spring down, something doesn't seem right now, Ill try to post a pic and you can send me your a D*mb Ass comment no problem, lol just let me know what gives.
Thanks in advance
Pete

I would think you would need to move them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #34

You have to move front also.

The only Dumb question is the one not asked.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Thanks in advance
Pete

I would also consider some extra bracing.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/X-Fac...-p/15-9011.htm
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Thanks in advance
Pete

Same thing happened to me. In the top pic the shackle on the left is pointing down from the equalizer and should be pointing up. The Equalizer should be "hanging" from the springs. Mine got into this orientation as I was putting things back together. I noticed it and did a partial disassembly and using a pry bar got things back into position and got it back together.
Driving might cause it to spring to its normal position but I'd suggest dropping one of the left side spring bolts and get both inner spring eyes above the equalizer.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:19 PM   #37

Thanks for the all the info, I was under the impression just the rear had to be dropped, I am gonna get it up on blocks and see if I can just get the shackles to move back to the right position with the wheels off, before I start to unbolt it all, those lock nuts are single use only, I'd have to find new ones. If I need to I'll unbolt the front and move them as well.
Thanks again will have to get at it when I get a chance.
Peter
Old 05-17-2017, 05:10 AM   #38

Yes you need to move all locations to the same holes!

Earl
Old 05-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #39

Springs need to be above the equalizer. if the spring is "tripped" the tire may come off the ground and cause premature wear. Use a floor jack to raise the axle.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Redbird7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:25 PM   #40

I managed to get it fixed, dropped the front set down too, all is well again, haven't had it out for a good run yet, seems to be sitting fine though.