Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2017, 09:59 AM   #41

Somewhat concerned

Hey Folks,

I'm brand new to the fifth wheel world and put a deposit on a Jayco 27.5RKDS a couple of days ago. We take delivery on June 10th.

I have a 2015 Silverado 2500HD with 6.0L gasser, LTZ/Z71, 6.7" bed, 265/60/R20 wheels/tires, and bone stock suspension. I will have the RV dealership install a Reese Titan 16k hitch with round tube slider. The Jayco has the Morryde pin box. I am not certain if the Jayco comes with 15" or 16" tires ... I do know that they are Goodyear tires.

With that being said, am I going to have a problem with this "nose high" issue that is being discussed in this thread?
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #42

No way to know for sure until you pair the two up, but with 20" tires on your truck it is likely you'll be nose high. As to whether or not it will be nose high enough to be a problem, ...?
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:40 AM   #43
Reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ont-tt View Post
I managed to get it fixed, dropped the front set down too, all is well again, haven't had it out for a good run yet, seems to be sitting fine though.
Hey ont-tt

I have a 2015 295bhds pulled by a 2015 F250 4x4. I'm about 5.5" nose high.

How did you go about dropping the springs and how much did it raise the trailer?
Reg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #44
Reg

After some careful measuring I've determined that I'm 5.5" nose high. Visually looks a little high but not crazy. Climb inside and definitely feels un level. I have about 8" of side box clearance at front of trailer and 6.5" clearance at tailgate. Driving at 65 mph the setup is stable with no sway or chucking. At this point I'm on the fence on how much effort and dollars I want to spend to get it level. I will likely lower the springs to lower hole on the hanger and see what that does. Logically, level must be better. But I've towed thousands of miles in several setups and this one definitely is stable. So the big question is how high is too high and is towing level that important? I know there are valid opinions on both sides.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1983.jpg  
Reg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #45

Have a question about moving springs to lower hole in hanger. The dealer told me that Jayco does not approve of doing it. Would not tell me why, didn't know. I just thank they did not want to do the job.
So I understand from this thread that there is no problem with doing this. I will be moving the springs down shortly if it is ok. What are your thoughts?
J-M Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:38 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-M Cox View Post
Have a question about moving springs to lower hole in hanger. The dealer told me that Jayco does not approve of doing it. Would not tell me why, didn't know. I just thank they did not want to do the job.
So I understand from this thread that there is no problem with doing this. I will be moving the springs down shortly if it is ok. What are your thoughts?
Your dealer is wrong. It's an order-able option from the factory to have the suspension mounted on the lowest hole. My 29.5 BHDS came from the factory already on the low holes at my request during ordering. Dealer didn't even know it was an option and has since started ordering all their Eagle HTs with that option.

My question is if I buy a Correct Track system, do I need any side to side bracing, with the suspension on the lowest hole? Since Correct Track will give me another 2" lift, I"m wondering if that's too much extra stress on the hangers.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:32 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erren View Post
Your dealer is wrong. It's an order-able option from the factory to have the suspension mounted on the lowest hole. My 29.5 BHDS came from the factory already on the low holes at my request during ordering. Dealer didn't even know it was an option and has since started ordering all their Eagle HTs with that option.

My question is if I buy a Correct Track system, do I need any side to side bracing, with the suspension on the lowest hole? Since Correct Track will give me another 2" lift, I"m wondering if that's too much extra stress on the hangers.
My opinion is...you should.
Get the MorRyde bracing. (I forget what it's called). Unless you can fab up your own.
The NorthPoint and Pinnacle comes with the hanger cross braces
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #48
GRM

How high is too high?

I started reading this thread because I thought being high in the front was causing the jerking/chucking when I hit rough spots in the road. But now I'm thinking that I need to lower my springs to the bottom hole on the hangers. When I measured my trailer hooked up to the truck I have 7 1/2" difference from front to back of trailer. Is this too much? If I drop the springs it looks like I'll only get 3" out of the 7 1/2". Next question is 4 1/2" acceptable? Also the spring hangers have 3 holes and the equalizer hanger only has 2 holes. If I lower the springs 2 holes does the equalizer go to the second hole?
On the jerking/chucking problem I'm thinking of getting the Dexter EZ Flex equalizer. Any thoughts on using these? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
GRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:05 PM   #49

I lowered mine and handling was the same. Didn't have a chucking issue before or after.

What kind of hitch are you using? I never developed bad chucking till my hitch became defective. Replaced it and all is good again.

Also, mine was only adjustable at the shackles. No adjustments made at the equalizers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #50
GRM

I've got a second hand Curt 16k slider. Didn't think about the hitch but I did buy it used. Has any body else had a bad hitch causing chucking? I've got a 98, 34' Designer that is 13000#. I put new tires on and had the brakes looked at so now I'm into the suspension. Trying to get this old trailer road worthy and safe to pull down the highway.
GRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:40 AM   #51

First, yes my trailer still rides about 5" high in front.

Second, when does your trailer 'chuck'? All the time or just on certain roads? Only on some bumps? FYI, there is some 'slop' in most fifth wheel hitches. All it takes is 1/8" of movement to give you that feeling.

So, check your hitch to make sure it is working properly. If it is then you can live with it or get a different hitch and/or pin box.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #52

If you have a scale around, you may want to get it weighed before you do too
much stuff. If your pin weight is low, I believe that can cause handling issues. Maybe you need more stuff up front.