Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2017, 11:47 PM   #1

Dry Camping

Hi I am looking to buy a Jayco 26.5 BHS Fifth wheel. I will be using this a lot for dry camping at golf courses/tournaments. Do I need a generator on the side to run AC micrwave etc? It seeems I do. Also it does not seem the 26.5 comes with a Dry Camping prep. What would I need that for? can I hook a generator up and which one would I need?

Thanks
Scott
JScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:10 AM   #2

Yes, to run the Air Conditioner and microwave and other electrical appliances you need to be plugged into shore power or have a generator. How big of a generator depends on how big the Air Conditioner is and how many appliances you plan on running at the same time.

[ Assuming you have one AC. ]

That said, many people are able to run their 13.5K BTU ACs on a 2K watt generator. But if you have a larger AC, or want to fire up the microwave at the same time, it won't be enough wattage.

Most motorhomes this size ship with a 4000 watt generator. You could assume that a generator in the 3500 watt range or higher would work.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:19 AM   #3

If you can find the Sportsman Dual Fuel at Walmart for $299 do it. DO IT.
D
O

I
T
Serious, the thing is cheap as dirt and works like a charm. Runs my 13.5k mach on the 16XRB without issue.
Sportsman Generator Setup – Texan Traveler
That is how I have my setup.

It was in stock, I bought it, then out of stock, then back, all across July of 2017. But has not been back in stock. Amazon has it for $399. Not sure I'd buy it for 399, wanted the Champion but it was $346 and couldn't get it delivered in time for my trip, so I took a chance on the sportsman. Glad I did!!!
Walmart Link
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sportsman...rator/46542325
bwft57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:49 AM   #4

Does the 4000 watt generator that comees with it last for a few days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Yes, to run the Air Conditioner and microwave and other electrical appliances you need to be plugged into shore power or have a generator. How big of a generator depends on how big the Air Conditioner is and how many appliances you plan on running at the same time.

[ Assuming you have one AC. ]

That said, many people are able to run their 13.5K BTU ACs on a 2K watt generator. But if you have a larger AC, or want to fire up the microwave at the same time, it won't be enough wattage.

Most motorhomes this size ship with a 4000 watt generator. You could assume that a generator in the 3500 watt range or higher would work.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:49 AM   #5

How long will the 4000 power generator last dry camping? 2 or 3 days?

Scott
Old 12-31-2017, 01:32 AM   #6

Not sure about the 4k that comes with the unit above. The sportsman I have will run 12-15 hours on 20lbs of propane, depending on how much you use the devices that take lots of power. AC and Microwave being the biggest hogs.
It is dual fuel, and I read that it will last 10-12 hours on gasoline, but I have not tried gas, nor have I had to run my rig on the generator for extended period of time outside of testing.
I always carry a backup 20lb tank for the rig even if not using the generator.
Everyone's mileage may vary here, and there is no hard and fast rule on how long it will run. You can get a good idea, based on other peoples examples.
Running the AC on low fan takes less power, and thus less fuel.
Also note, that the generator will run a maximum of hours on any fuel. Meaning no load, most are rated at 50% load for the run times.
In 107 degree heat, in my 16XRB my Sportsman ran the AC on high fan, started with no issue, but I didn't run it more than for a 20 min test.
In that heat, even with it on 30 am electric it was hard keeping it cool inside.
So it is all relative to your usage.
Hope that helps.
bwft57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottH View Post

Scott
As long as you have fuel in it, it will last. Now how long will your batteries last, if that's your question depends on load. But your AC and MW and other appliances will only operate when the generator is running. Many locations have short hours when they allow generators to be used, few in the morning and few in the evening, mainly to charge batteries. But your batteries will only operate your 12 volt system.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:42 AM   #8

I've got the same trailer and have been looking into more dry camping as well. I'm really liking the Champion 3400W dual fuel generator. Also, I'd like to eventually add a couple 6V golf cart batteries, pure sine inverter and a hard start capacitor for each AC.

One negative with the Champion is you or you and a helper need to be able to loft 100lbs. It's heavy.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:00 AM   #9

Hello,
As stated before you need a generator. I suggest the Honda EU3000iS Portable Inverter Generator, I have this one ad love it. I've dry camped several times and have used everything in my 5ther with it. With my a/c running all night my Honda lasted over 9 hrs on a tank of gas. Good luck in your decision.
Chris
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:20 AM   #10
Site Team

If you don't want to be handling a heavier generator, 2 2000w inverter generators hooked together will give you the power you need without the weight of a heavy unit. I'm seriously considering this option for myself before next camping season.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:05 PM   #11

I've never been able to start my 13.5 AC using my Honda 2000W gen. I'm at 132' El so air to fuel is not the issue. the higher the El the less power you have.
Another thing to think about is how loud the gen will be. Unless you get an inverter type then it will be real loud. Are you camping by yourself or with others?
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:20 PM   #12

Quote:

Scott

Scott - I have a Class C motorhome, so like was said -- as long as there's gas in the motorhome's gas tank, the generator will run. The generator is bolted up to the coach and plumbed into the fuel tank.

Generators and money spent - seem to go in two directions:
- the more power you want (and the "cleaner")
- the quieter you need

The more money you spend.

If you had $2400 to spend, then I'd probably pop for the Honda EU3000iS and let it run most everything you need, quietly.

If you've got much less to spend, then they'll get noiser and they'll pump out less power.

If you have 'sensitive' electronics, like a CPAP machine or computer, then you'll probably want an INVERTER generator. You'll have to pony up $500 or much more.

If you're really going to camp by a golf course, then I'd strongly suggest you do so quietly.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Scott - I have a Class C motorhome, so like was said -- as long as there's gas in the motorhome's gas tank, the generator will run. The generator is bolted up to the coach and plumbed into the fuel tank.
In my 2003 Coachman Class C, the generator would not run once the motorhome's fuel tank reached 1/4 full.
chuck5395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Hi I am looking to buy a Jayco 26.5 BHS Fifth wheel. I will be using this a lot for dry camping at golf courses/tournaments. Do I need a generator on the side to run AC micrwave etc? It seeems I do. Also it does not seem the 26.5 comes with a Dry Camping prep. What would I need that for? can I hook a generator up and which one would I need?

Thanks
Scott
So, since you are going to golf courses/tournaments does that mean you will be camping next to other people?
If so, do them all a favor and do NOT buy one of cheap contractor style "screamers". To run an AC you will be best served by something in the 2800-3000 range. You could also buy two 2000 watt models and join them together. Many people do this as it means they only have to lift one 45lb genny at a time, and can leave one at home, if they do not need to run the AC.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
If so, do them all a favor and do NOT buy one of cheap contractor style "screamers".
I completely agree.

The only way to make one of those monsters work would be to surround it with a pretty extensive sound-baffle box.

Even then, I wouldn't. They are loud.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck5395 View Post
In my 2003 Coachman Class C, the generator would not run once the motorhome's fuel tank reached 1/4 full.

Good catch. This is still true on most or all motorhomes with a similar setup. The idea is to prevent the generator from draining you gas tank and leaving you stuck.

Going from memory, I think the specs for the Onan 4K were something like 3/4 of a gallon per hour under load.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
I've never been able to start my 13.5 AC using my Honda 2000W gen. I'm at 132' El so air to fuel is not the issue. the higher the El the less power you have.
Another thing to think about is how loud the gen will be. Unless you get an inverter type then it will be real loud. Are you camping by yourself or with others?
Installing the Micro-Air Easy Start will allow you to run your AC with the Honda 2000W generator.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:04 AM   #18
Site Team

Before you put down the $$$ for a generator, contact the locations you will be staying at and ask if they have any "Generator Run Time Rules". Why put out the $$$ if you can only use them while you are out playing a round or 2.

Not sure SOLAR would do you much good, other than keep your batteries charged.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bhs 26.5, dry camping, generator