Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2015, 05:28 PM   #11

Ok so Jayco makes a kit that they will install for free through camping world. It doesn't help us for this weekend but it will (hopefully) for the rest of the summer. My husband thinks it maybe a bit like the 12 volt pump described earlier. Ugh! What a pain!!

Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #12

So it makes you question what the manufacturer was trying to accomplish. Gravity filling a tank is about as simple and straight forward as you can get!! They must have a REASON that they tried to reinvent the wheel!! What were they after??? Obviously, it missed the mark on most of us and all that dry camp. Has anyone read an explanation of there goal??? I personally wouldn't have a system like that unless Im not seeing the whole picture..

Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:40 PM   #13

Sometimes you wonder if those designing RV's have ever actually used an RV. Seems that would be a good prerequisite. How many times have we seen something and asked ourselves "Really" who would do it like that..and why.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
Ok so Jayco makes a kit that they will install for free through camping world. It doesn't help us for this weekend but it will (hopefully) for the rest of the summer. My husband thinks it maybe a bit like the 12 volt pump described earlier. Ugh! What a pain!!
Can you post a link to this kit?
We just bought a 29.5 fbds, and I had noticed that it had no gravity feed while it was still on the lot. I then asked the dealer about it during the pdi and got a blank look. So I found the harbor freight pump and cut up an old garden hose and built my own. But if jayco has a kit I would be interested in seeing what it is.
Go Cougs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:07 AM   #15

You can also use a simple water pump that is fed by the spinning motion of a cordless drill - similar to this one which I have been successful with: Everbilt 300 GPH Drill Pump Kit-PUP63_HD - The Home Depot

Then just put one end in the water container on the ground an another end up in the inlet.

It also makes it a lot easier then trying to hold the weight of a 5-7lb water jug while filling.
chlinthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlinthi View Post
You can also use a simple water pump that is fed by the spinning motion of a cordless drill - similar to this one which I have been successful with: Everbilt 300 GPH Drill Pump Kit-PUP63_HD - The Home Depot

Then just put one end in the water container on the ground an another end up in the inlet.

It also makes it a lot easier then trying to hold the weight of a 5-7lb water jug while filling.
I used to use one of those to change the oil in my boat. I remember cursing at it a lot.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:21 AM   #17

Trailer manufacturers these days are eliminating the Gravity Fill and making you use city water pressure to fill your fresh water tanks. My parents have a 2013 Big Horn, no gravity fill. We were recently out looking at Camping World and found Outbacks to be the same way. Dad had on old RV water pump at the house and finally mounted it in the outside storage area and ran wire to the battery then just drops a hose in his jugs and pumps his water in. Very poor designs on the newer RV's. They are now built for full hook ups, even though us RVer's don't always use them.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:52 AM   #18

My brand new 19RD also has a near useless gravity fill.

It'll take a garden hose or use the outdoor shower (remove the spray handle) while attached to city water.

When boondocking for extended periods, refilling the freshwater from jugs is essential!

Who felt that an unusable gavity fill was a good idea?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:58 AM   #19

This if I am reading correctly, is the same way all the 5'er's have been for several of the last model years. There is one inlet and that is utilized for either city or "country fill" The difference in that of a gravity fill is that you can use your on board water pump to siphon the water out of the container and into the tank. Personally I like this feature as you do not have to lift the 5 gallon jugs up to the fill, but just simply remove the cap and insert the short hose to siphon out. It goes just as fast as a gravity fill.

You can also, like I do, just hook up a bladder directly and turn on the pump.

Now the key to all this is the plumbing. Do you have any valves to turn and direct the water to the tank? There has to be a valve or valves somewhere, because if the pump is turned on it's supposed to draw from the tank, and not the city connection unless selected. Something is missing in the instructions, telling the operator how to direct the water pump valve.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
This if I am reading correctly, is the same way all the 5'er's have been for several of the last model years. There is one inlet and that is utilized for either city or "country fill" The difference in that of a gravity fill is that you can use your on board water pump to siphon the water out of the container and into the tank. Personally I like this feature as you do not have to lift the 5 gallon jugs up to the fill, but just simply remove the cap and insert the short hose to siphon out. It goes just as fast as a gravity fill.

You can also, like I do, just hook up a bladder directly and turn on the pump.

Now the key to all this is the plumbing. Do you have any valves to turn and direct the water to the tank? There has to be a valve or valves somewhere, because if the pump is turned on it's supposed to draw from the tank, and not the city connection unless selected. Something is missing in the instructions, telling the operator how to direct the water pump valve.

If what you think is correct, then why are folks hunting for auxiliary pumps??? They certainly wouldn't need a extra pump if they could use there on board pump. The gravity tank on our 5th wheel is simple and will fill at the rate of 8 gal. Per minute. If you're dry camping, it means that you have limited water and limited 12 volt power. Now I am suppose to believe it's a good idea to use my 12 volt power to move water in to my rig as well as well as disperse it thru the camper!! Certainly seems to be made for folks that are hooked up all the time.

Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote