Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharrison View Post
I believe that you run a hose/tube from the fresh water intake to the jug/tank with water. You also run the water pump simultaneously. Here is what it says in my manual:

Dry camping
You can gravity fill the fresh water system if you do not have access to city water; however, allow extra time to fill the fresh water system if you are using this method.
Follow the steps listed above; however, at step 3 put the other end of the non-toxic drinking water hose into your container of fresh water, and turn ON the water pump (instead of turning ON the water at the water source.) When the fresh water tank is full, shut OFF the water pump and disconnect the non-toxic drinking water hose.

Here is the "step 3" referred to above:

To use the city water fill
1. If needed, sanitize the water system.
2. Remove the connection cap and attach a non-toxic drinking water hose to the inlet.
3. Turn ON the water at the water source. Enter the RV and open the cold water supply faucets to bleed air from the water lines. When the water lines are nearly full, you may experience some "air pockets." Allow them to escape before closing the cold water supply faucets.
4. The water heater will fill first, followed by the supply lines and faucets.
The fresh water connection should be unplugged (i.e., the non-toxic drinking water hose disconnected) when the RV is left unattended for any amount of time. If something would happen to the water system, this may help limit water damage to a smaller area.
To disconnect the city water fill
5. Shut OFF the water at the water source.
6. Disconnect the non-toxic drinking water hose and reinstall the connection cap.
Thats is what my manual says also, its worthless.
I have a 2015 27.5 BHS. The first time out, put the hose in the gravity fill port (door side), about 25-30 minutes later water was running out one of the drains next to the low port. Thought it was full. Was out for two days and ran out. Only the wife and l took showers. Have 2 kids, but have been dry camping all their lives, so well versed in water use.
Yesterday, packing to go. Hung the hose in the gravity port. Same thing, check the water level, says 1/4. So l lowered the front of the rig. No help, still pouring out now out of both hoses. Go in the coach open all the cold water faucets, no help. Raise the front of the rig higher than before no help. Run the pump, no help. I ended up blocking the draining hoses to get it full.
What is going on? Makes no sence to have the drain flowing before the tank is full.

Be safe, schick
schick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #22

Update

Jayco had Camping World install a kit because they "forgot" about country fill in the 2015 models. It's another valve. So where the valve is on the water panel that has a "city fill" and "tank fill" option there is now a third option in the middle position for "country fill" where we put the winterizing hose into a water jug and the water pump pumps water into the tank. We will see if it works next weekend. Thanks for your help!
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:06 PM   #23

Flygirl, that is precisely how we refill the onboard tank from the water truck at Talladega. It should work fine for you.
Dual Pane Windows
Rear View Safety backup camera
Macerator system
northmeck0255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #24

Same here...when dry camping we use the on board pump to siphon water from jugs into the fresh water tank. There are specific positions the knobs must be in to fill the tank. It does take some time...probably about 5 mins to empty one 7 gallon jug. Sometimes you have to move the knobs a little to get the suction started. Our 2016 355MBQS even came with a clear hose and adapter for this and for winterizing. Also nice that there is a pump switch right inside the fill area.
kirchh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:00 AM   #25

I have not tried this yet, but will the next time I need to refill. I have a 6 gallon portable tank. I will slip the antifreeze dip tube into the portable tank (sitting on the kitchen floor). Turn the valves to winterizing mode. Remove the outside shower head, and place the shower hose into the gravity tank fill, turn on the pump until the portable tank is empty, repeat as needed.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #26

I am too broken to hold jugs up to pour water into my holding tank.. SO I bought a 45 gal bladder from campingworld and the cheapest pump they had in stock.. I fill the bladder then using the pump fill my FW tank.. I have made back the costs of my system by filling up my friends tanks too..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I have not tried this yet, but will the next time I need to refill. I have a 6 gallon portable tank. I will slip the antifreeze dip tube into the portable tank (sitting on the kitchen floor). Turn the valves to winterizing mode. Remove the outside shower head, and place the shower hose into the gravity tank fill, turn on the pump until the portable tank is empty, repeat as needed.
It takes f....o....r....e...v...e...r.... About 3 minutes for 5 gallons. Swap cans. Repeat to 50-60 gallons. Can't drain the can completely. Uses quite a bit of power from the battery. And gets water all over the floor!

I gave up and bought a transfer pump from Tractor Supply and two 6 gallon 'totes' from Wally World. Run the 2KW genset to move 6 gals at a time. Takes well under 1 minute each using 5/8 garden hose. Still can't get the last 1/2 gallon off the bottom.

Next mod is a bucket that'll allow drawing all the way to the bottom. Pour from the 6 gallon as the pump draws from the bucket. Start dumping from the second tote before the bucket is empty. 12 gallons in 2 minutes. Then run the truck to the neighbor's for another 12 gallons. 2 trips upon arrival, then 1 trip on day 2 for a total of 36 gallons. If we stay more than 4 days we'll grab 48.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #28

I personally have never had to do this, but I found a video on YouTube from a Jayco dealer giving a complete demo of all the features of my Pinnacle. I would of never got my water valves right without watching the video. That is where I learned that with the valves in country fill mode, you could pump out of a bucket to fill the fresh water tank. My rig stays most of the year in a park on Canyon Lake, Tx which from time to time has had well issues so we have been without water a day or so, that is why I keep my fresh water tank full till I winterize. Here is a link from Northern Tool that is a drill driven pump that I have used before that would work as well. Northern Industrial Multipurpose Drill Powered Pump | Miscellaneous Water Pump Accessories| Northern Tool + Equipment
gaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:40 PM   #29

No gravity fill would be a definite deal killer for me. Whoever thought that was a good idea needs to be passing out carts at Wal-Mart.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote