Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #1

Dual Pane All Weather Windows????

Just back from a road trip to have a hands on look at the Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS vs the 36FBTS model. The wife has made her choice! The winner is the Kpts. So now we move on to the options. So lets talk about the Dual Pane All Weather Windows option.
Sales man says:
1: They do not help much for the Heat.
2: There is some sort of 'gas' between the glass that can (a) fog up. (b) leak, or (c) possibly blow up in the massive heat of Las Vegas?
The additional price is just not worth it? But they had none with the dual pane setup. SO... I am asking for any and all opinions! I will be in Las Vegas where it gets HOT.
Thoughts?
Steve
priv8pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:23 PM   #2

They definitely​ help but aren't like residential windows. They are dual pane with a very small air gap. Is no gas, probably nitrogen or just air. The two panes plus the gap give the R-value a bump. They also reduce noise intrusion. I myself wouldn't buy a trailer without dual pane.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:22 AM   #3

I have them in my 2011 and ordered them in my 2018. We think they help. I do know on cold mornings after shower they hardly fog the windows on the 2009 I had they were not in that jayco and the windows did fog water ran off the windows and had to be wiped up.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by priv8pilot View Post
Just back from a road trip to have a hands on look at the Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS vs the 36FBTS model. The wife has made her choice! The winner is the Kpts. So now we move on to the options. So lets talk about the Dual Pane All Weather Windows option.
Sales man says:
2: There is some sort of 'gas' between the glass that can (a) fog up. (b) leak, or (c) possibly blow up in the massive heat of Las Vegas?
The additional price is just not worth it? But they had none with the dual pane setup. SO... I am asking for any and all opinions! I will be in Las Vegas where it gets HOT.
Thoughts?
Steve
Are they the "holy grail" of windows? No, especially if your expecting them to be as efficient as a residential version would be. They do help keep the AC's from running as much, help quite a bit with outside noises and something Mopar_Earl didn't mention is that they really help mitigate any condensation issues you may have inside if showering, cooking, etc.

As for them fogging up? As far as I know, the only "gas" in between the panes of glass is plain old air. And the reason that they may fog up is because the two panes of glass are sealed together to keep out moisture and dirt. If that seal fails, condensation will build up causing the "fog". That means that the entire window must be removed and taken apart, cleaned, resealed, and reinstalled. I haven't had one fail yet, and it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue, but I have read where it may be 200-300 per window to get them fixed.

But even knowing the initial cost and possible repair costs, I still side with Mopar_Earl and say I can definitely see the benefits of having them and would have them again should we ever get another RV.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:26 AM   #5

x2 with what everyone else said.

We ordered our 2015 Jayco with thermal pane windows and happy we did.
Thought we live in the northeast we primarily got them for cold weather camping and they've performed as expected, better then the normal / standard RV windows wrt not fogging up.
As far as their functionality in very hot climates I can't comment on that - we have no experience camping in that type of environment.

As far as is the price / cost worth it. That's a very personal decision and for us I believe the cost was worth it.

Hope this is of some help.
You've also chosen a very nice floor plan, you'll love it.
Good luck.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:40 AM   #6

My Inlaw's bought a Big Horn down in Florida a few years ago. One of the things that they didn't like compared to their old Montana was it had the single pane windows. They ordered a new one and the new one has the double pane widows.

They are snow birds and keep the 5th wheel in our back yard so it really isn't used in cold weather as they head back to FL. The main reason for them was the noise factor.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:01 AM   #7
CTP

Unlike the majority I went without. Not worth the expense with very little R Value added. Spoke with Jayco factory rep and the only real benefit is noise reduction.
Plus if the seal fails and fogs up, now your stuck with a foggy window.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:43 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTP View Post
snip....... Not worth the expense with very little R Value added. Spoke with Jayco factory rep and the only real benefit is noise reduction. ........snip
X2

....... and in some cases the added weight could be a factor.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:05 AM   #9

I find the difference in temp differential to be noticeable compared to our old TT with single pane glass. Sitting by the windows on a below freezing morning now doesn't send chills down my spine.
Not to mention the reduction in outside noise, and condensation.
Could they fog, I guess so. I'll cross that bridge when we get there.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:43 PM   #10

We added them to our 2017 377 and love them. Not only the noise reduction, but no condensation on the cold mornings with the furnace going.
We certainly don't camp a whole bunch in cold weather, but we occasionally do. We could really feel the coldness coming through the single panes in our previous RV.
As others mentioned, they don't seem to help much in keeping the summer heat out or A/C in. But hey, I'm sure they help some.

Definitely worth it in my opinion.

2020 Dynamax DX3 Super C
SOLD - 2017 Ford F-450 KR Ultimate, Bronze Fire
SOLD - 2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH
USAF Retired / 1988-2012
SmokinJoe747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:47 AM   #11

We ordered them on our 2015 Pinnacle, and in my opinion they are well worth the money. They ARE NOT like a gas filled residential window, they are two panes of thermal glass bonded together. They definitely help block the heat transfer. You can barely feel the heat transfer thru the glass on the inside even during our Texas summers. As others mentioned there are no condensation issues either. Our other RV had the standard windows and the condensation in the the winter with the heater running was ridiculous. Do it so you don't regret it later. Another thing you should get are the day/night pull down black-out shades. Good luck,
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:54 PM   #12

Decision made. We will go with the Duel Pane window setup. Thanks for the advise.
Steve
priv8pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:41 PM   #13

My takeaway is that your spending nearly $100k on a Pinnacle and your worried about the cost of dual pane window option? Lol.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #14

https://youtu.be/U8u7C-gBNY4
Here is a video done by a dealership in Michigan that discusses dual pain windows. Pretty informative.
Fire90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:32 AM   #15

My last RV had dual pane windows this one does not.. sure wish I had the dual pane windows again.. I notice the difference.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire90 View Post
https://youtu.be/U8u7C-gBNY4
Here is a video done by a dealership in Michigan that discusses dual pain windows. Pretty informative.
That guy was so full of it (and himself), I stopped watching it midway. It reinforces the old saying that it is easy to tell when a dealer is lying (his lips are moving).

He did have some half truths in there. There are no such thing as "Thermal Pane" RV windows but that actually is because "Thermal Pane" is a brand name and the manufacturer of "Thermal Pane" windows doesn't make RV windows.

He is correct that the dual pane windows in RVs do not use an inert gas between the panes. However, that has little effect on the "R" value of the window. The inert gas is more for avoiding condensation between the panes. Dry air will accomplish the same thing.

Far more people who have had both regular RV windows and dual pane RV windows have reported that the dual pane windows do stop condensation on the inside surface of a dual pane window in cold weather (an indicator that the dual panes are doing a better job of blocking some heat loss through them) and block noise better than those who claim they do not.

The vast majority of complaints I have seen have been for seals failing, allowing moisture ladened air to get between the panes where it can condense in cold weather. I see fewer of those complaints now suggesting the manufacturers are doing a better job of sealing them.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by priv8pilot View Post
Sales man says:
Thoughts?
Steve
Priv8pilot - Congratulations on your selection! I'm a little surprised the salesman shot down the dual pane windows as that's an upcharge and we all know it's about the profit margin and commission. That aside, why do you think Jayco would tout a "4 Seasons" type rig without offering insulated windows? My wife and I ordered a new 2018 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS with dual pane windows. I'm not expecting residential performance but I do expect better performance over single pane. We plan on spending time in Texas where it's HOT in the summer time, so this seemed like a good idea. We also ordered dual AC units (50A service) and slideout covers as well! Can't be too comfortable!
Old 01-16-2021, 05:13 PM   #18

Can some one post some detail pictures of the dual pain windows ? And
Dondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 05:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondon View Post
Can some one post some detail pictures of the dual pain windows ? And
On the outside they look no different than the single pane.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:15 PM   #20

My trailer came with frameless windows and I’m looking to replace them on the main bedroom for sound reduction are the dual pane windows frameless?
Dondon is offline   Reply With Quote