Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2017, 07:27 AM   #1

Dual pane windows

Looking to order an Eagle 321RSTS , should I get the dual pane windows? They are a little pricey.
Retiredusa2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:34 AM   #2

Short answer NO
Longer answer Noooooo, especially not on a Eagle, they give such a minimal difference it's not worth the cost. If it was a Pinnacle or Designer then maybe since they are better insulated units overall but you would never see a difference with an Eagle.

Check this video;
https://youtu.be/U8u7C-gBNY4

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
enmity02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by enmity02 View Post
Short answer NO
Longer answer Noooooo, especially not on a Eagle, they give such a minimal difference it's not worth the cost. If it was a Pinnacle or Designer then maybe since they are better insulated units overall but you would never see a difference with an Eagle.

Check this video;
https://youtu.be/U8u7C-gBNY4

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Not that clown again (the one in the video). Besides being overly verbose, he dances around the truth but doesn't quite get it right.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:20 AM   #4

We added dual pane windows on the build sheet for our 2017 Eagle 293RKDS. I would say YES, YES and more YES! We love them. They make a huge difference on sound intrusion. They actually do make a difference on heating and cooling the trailer. This is my first unit with dual pane. I'd never go single pane again. For as many windows, it's actually not an expensive option.

Say a single pane has a r1 rating. Now say two have an r2 rating. But wait, there is the extremely important air gap that increases the r value too. I don't know what ratings they have but you will at least double the r value. That said, going strictly by my experience with them, I highly recommend them. I'd never buy a trailer without.

Another plus is they don't collect condensation as single pane do. That alone tells you they have a better thermal barrier.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Not that clown again (the one in the video). Besides being overly verbose, he dances around the truth but doesn't quite get it right.
I agree...

Earl
Old 07-29-2017, 09:33 AM   #6

Don't forget to add the most important option of all, the second AC unit and 3rd if an option. Not a place to cheap out on 800 sum bucks. I see it all the time on here where people cheap out and than later complain that their unit won't get cool enough with the single unit.

We got the following options on our factory ordered 2017 Eagle 293RKDS
*Cashmere decor
*Auto leveling
*Booth dinette
*Generator prep
*Dual pane windows
*Rear camera (disappointed in the system)
*12 cu ft RV fridge
*Morryde pin box
*Theater seating
*TV in the bedroom
*2nd AC unit, bedroom
*Special factory ordered electric rear stabilizers add-on
*Special factory ordered low profile mach 8 AC unit for the bedroom upgrade
*Special ordered matching lock cylinder for the auto level control pad door.

Not sure what the 2018 options are. But if you'd like to know about any of the above options, feel free to ask.

Earl
Line-X premium
Old 07-29-2017, 03:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
...Say a single pane has a r1 rating. Now say two have an r2 rating. But wait, there is the extremely important air gap that increases the r value too. I don't know what ratings they have but you will at least double the r value...
Actually, that was about the only thing the clown pretty much got right. Dual pane windows do not double the R value of a window. R value does not increase linearly with increases in thickness. The R value of insulation, solid objects (such as glass), etc. actually becomes less with each increase of each unit of measure. For example, the first inch of fiberglass insulation has the highest R value, the second inch has a lower R value, and each additional inch has an a still lower R value than the previous inch.

Going by what the clown said, you would get the same increase in R value if you doubled the glass thickness instead of using two panes with an air gap. That is simply not true, as you have observed yourself. While argon will transmit less heat than just air, the difference isn't all that much. The main advantage of argon over air is it is easier to get and keep dry.

The reason sun blocking shades work so well is not because of the larger air gap, as the clown claimed. It's because the shades block radiant energy, aka sunlight here, which heats up the air it passes through and objects it hits. Dual pane windows reduce heat conduction by adding a layer of a poor heat conductor, in this case air (although argon is somewhat better), between the layers of glass. As that air layer gets thicker, it is subject to developing air currents that would allow heat picked up from the surface of one pane to be carried more quickly to the other glass surface. Besides not being sealed, allowing air flow in and out of the gap, the air gap between a sun blocking shade and the window glass is usually too great to be an effective insulation unless the shade is 1/4" or less from the window. The clown is correct that sunshades are effective but is completely clueless why.

As you have already observed, dual pane glass does more than reduce temperatures in an RV. They also reduce sound transmission and reduce, if not eliminate, condensation on the insides of windows. Those factors alone are reason enough to justify having them even though their quality is not as high as the ones used on residential and commercial buildings.

Btw, Thermal Pane is a brand name, not the generic term for all multiple pane windows, same as all cola drinks aren't Cokes or all adjustable wrenches are not Crescent wrenches. Thermal Pane brand windows are just higher quality multiple pane windows.

Don't get me started on the scam of the R value of bubble foil insulation.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:19 PM   #8

I had dual pane windows on my last RV.. sure do miss them wish I had them on this one. But what do I know I only spend 200+ days a year in the RV.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:56 PM   #9

So far, the dual pane windows are doing great in our 2017 321RSTS. Had it since July 2016. Glad I ordered them. No window sweating and less outside noise for sure. Not sure of the R value savings but it stays quite comfortable in 100+ temps with two A/Cs. YMMV
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:55 AM   #10

Absolutely get them! We've had both, and no way I would ever go back to single pane. As others have noted, no sweating, reduced noise, etc. are great benefits and IMHO well worth the cost
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:29 AM   #11

I have them and love them. Don't know the r value increase but do know on cold mornings with heat on or off. No window sweating after a shower, We hear nothing outside unless it's really lots of noise. We feel it was money well spent. But I will say that I had the 2011 eagle and now the 2018 the new one is so much better insulated all over. On a 90 degree day on the 2011 in full sun it would take 4 hours to get the temp inside down to 70. On the 2018 it only takes 2 hours. Both units had the better windows. You decide for your self we did and don't regret the decision.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:12 PM   #12

The dual pane windows on our Pinnacle are two pieces of glass laminated together. There is NO air gap between them and unless they have changed since 2015, none of them will have an air gap. They are not residential style dual pane windows. They DO in fact help block heat transfer from outside to inside. I have checked it with an infra red thermometer shot on both sides of the window. I would recommend them.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:24 PM   #13

My 2017 Eagle has an air gap. Very slight but if you close you can see the space.

Earl
Line-X premium
Old 07-30-2017, 07:24 PM   #14

Quote:
My 2017 Eagle has an air gap. Very slight but if you close you can see the space.

Earl
Good deal, that may even help more.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:40 PM   #15

Quote:

Earl
X2
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote