Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2021, 08:15 PM   #1

Dump valves

Was tying to lube the dup valves today. Realized the valves are a couple of feet towards the middle of the 5th with extension rods to open. They are covered by the under belly covering. Spray some lube around the rods and as far in as I could go but I don’t think it will help much. Has anybody tried this.
ceasare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:34 PM   #2

I have access to 2 of my 5 dumps and took the rods out, one for repair, and both got a good shot of lubricant down thru them. The valves open and close just fine, it was the rods causing an issue but now they got lubrication they move nice and easy now.
Getting to the other three is going to be a bit of a challenge like you have and the only plan of attack I can come up with is to pull the handles open, shoot some spray lubricant on them and use some compressed air to drive it the rest of the way. That will have to wait for spring. It too cold out there right now and for the next few months minimum.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:58 PM   #3

I saw an earlier post on lubing dump valves and was able to do it on mine. I drilled a hole above the pump rod and shot in dump valve lube there. Ran in a short screw a couple of turns and called it good after I exercised it a few times.

Not sure how to help if you can't get to the valve. But you can flush some down the drain and let it pool against the valve then open and shut it.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:51 AM   #4

Sticky Dump valves. Try dropping some Olive oil (1/4 cup) in all the drains before you head out on a trip. Make sure you add a few gallons of water as well. Its been working for me. I also heard using dishwasher machine pods in warm water then drain into tank before a trip will help move the valves as well.

Good luck,

Marko
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:37 AM   #5

Rather than cut through the underbelly you may be able to remove the back basement wall and get at the rods/cables and valves. It's only a handful of screws, and doing so also gives you an opportunity to do an inspection back there - of course seeing the way these things are thrown together may repulse you too
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:25 AM   #6

I've used this and never had an issue with sticking valves.
TST RV Waste Holding Tank Drain Valve Lube - 16 Oz
I never felt like trying to crawl through or removing the underbelly. A whole lot easier.
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:37 PM   #7

Bill3kirk

Did you know the active ingredient in the TST RV Waste Holding Tank Drain Valve Lube is coconut oil. Maybe try olive oil too in your tanks before you leave on next journey.

Happy trails.

Marko
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:08 PM   #8

Sounds like it was your cable and not the valve that was sticking. I lube the valve and followed the instructions to drill a small hole, lube with silicone and seal up the hole with a screw. Hole should be just big enough for the spray can straw, screw smallest will just fit so over time you could use a bigger one.
Watch "how to lube a sticky RV valve" on you tubes, several out there. This will put the least stress on your cable.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote