Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2016, 07:33 AM   #1

Eagle 323LKTS - Landed 4/7/16

I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum. You all have been very helpful.
I have come to the conclusion that us owners know more about these RV's then most employees at any dealer. Thank goodness I went and did my own PDI right after our Eagle was delivered to the dealer. My brother and I spent over 2 hours going over it with just shore power on and created a list of about 20 issues. They took care of most of them prior to pickup. Couldn't wait any longer for parts to come from Jayco. So we went to the dealer to pick it up yesterday. So, they allow 2 hours for what they call a "Demo" with a tech. When our 2 hours was up they pulled the rig outside because I wasn't ready to hitch up yet and they had another customer picking one up. I felt a little rushed but the most disappointing thing was that I felt I knew more about the rig then the tech did. I got to the point where I couldn't believe what he was telling me. For example he says "make sure you bypass the water filter when you winterize". There is no water filter! In any case we brought it home knowing that we will find more issues and create another list for them to take care of at the end of the season. Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy with the 5er, I just feel these techs should know what they are talking about.
Now to get busy and add all the accessories I have accumulated over the past several weeks. First is to replace the stats with the digital ones and install the Progressive Electrical Management system.

Thanks again for this forum and everyone for their posts!

Dale
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #2

It's going to be in the low 20's tonight and the dealer did not re-winterize my Eagle after testing the system for leaks. Should I be concerned about freezing. The only water in the rig is what's trapped in the faucets and traps.
Should I turn the furnace on? To what temp?
Old 04-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #3

Congratulations! We love our rig and can't wait for our first trip out with her.

You will probably be okay without rewinterizing, but a suggestion would be to open the low point drains and faucets and leave them open for the night. That should drain most residual water in the lines and also provide some room for water expansion if it does freeze a bit
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebra View Post
I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum. You all have been very helpful.

I have come to the conclusion that us owners know more about these RV's then most employees at any dealer. Thank goodness I went and did my own PDI right after our Eagle was delivered to the dealer. My brother and I spent over 2 hours going over it with just shore power on and created a list of about 20 issues. They took care of most of them prior to pickup. Couldn't wait any longer for parts to come from Jayco. So we went to the dealer to pick it up yesterday. So, they allow 2 hours for what they call a "Demo" with a tech. When our 2 hours was up they pulled the rig outside because I wasn't ready to hitch up yet and they had another customer picking one up. I felt a little rushed but the most disappointing thing was that I felt I knew more about the rig then the tech did. I got to the point where I couldn't believe what he was telling me. For example he says "make sure you bypass the water filter when you winterize". There is no water filter! In any case we brought it home knowing that we will find more issues and create another list for them to take care of at the end of the season. Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy with the 5er, I just feel these techs should know what they are talking about.

Now to get busy and add all the accessories I have accumulated over the past several weeks. First is to replace the stats with the digital ones and install the Progressive Electrical Management system.

Thanks again for this forum and everyone for their posts!

Dale

Hiya Dalebra,

I'm planning on buying that model as well. Please share what issues you discovered on the PDI so I can be on the lookout.

Much appreciated,
Chris
StarGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebra View Post
It's going to be in the low 20's tonight and the dealer did not re-winterize my Eagle after testing the system for leaks. Should I be concerned about freezing. The only water in the rig is what's trapped in the faucets and traps.
Should I turn the furnace on? To what temp?
If you are connected to 110v power, using some propane with the thermostat set at 50deg would be cheap insurance. Leave cabinet doors below sinks etc. open to keep the traps warmer. If you don't have AC power connected, the battery may not last the night if it hasn't been fully charged.

Is the water heater empty? From your post it sounds like you've already drained that.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:38 AM   #6

Thanks for the ideas, I am on shore power so I kept the heat on overnight. Hopefully all is well.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #7

Chris,

Most of my issues have been cosmetic.

Exterior:
Bubbles in the decals.
Scratches
Excess glue and caulking

Interior:
Dinette table too close to kitchen cabinet when closed and rubbed of finish on table and cabinet.
Latch on one storage door needed adjusting.
Nail popping through trim of medicine cabinet.

Everything functions correctly. They just are a little careless in some finish work.

Read thru the PDI Checklist on this forum. This will give you a detailed look at what you should look for. I did not go through every line item myself. But it was helpful.
Next weekend will be our trial run. I have already replaced the thermostats with the digital replacements. The only heat register that has a damper is in the bathroom so I'll need to replace the one in the bedroom with one with a damper. Too hot in the bedroom.