Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #1

Question Eagle Fifth Wheel pulling off level

Just took my 2017 Eagle in to the local dealer for some warranty work. The dealer told me that I was pulling at a slant and the rear was about three inhes lower then the front. He told me this was putting greater pressure on the rear axial and I need to use the "Jake Plate" on the axials to lower the wheels and bring up the trailer. Anyone run into a towing issue like this and got any comments.
R2Pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #2

Can you adjust the hitch or the pin box instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #3

Level

I can adjust the hitch standup about an inch (I have a B&W) that will lower the trailer some but not sure that will be enough
Old 04-12-2017, 06:07 PM   #4

Technically he's not wrong, the rear axle would get a bit more weight if it's off-level. That said, mine is about 2-3" low in the rear too (hard as that might be to notice from the picture). I've got at least 1,000 miles on it, so far so good, and certainly nothing I"m worried about.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160511_152718250.jpg  

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:45 PM   #5

I think yours looks a little more level then mine

Looking at your picture I think amone has a little more of a slant then yours does. Dont know is I should take down the hitch shoulder first or go ahead and tackle the axial.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:01 AM   #6

Dealer identified a good point but his repair/improvement sounds like a little more based on profit... how much is he quoting to right your level? Like other said, you should be able to adjust the hitch first. I also have a B&W, top to bottom adjustments are probably about 4" which offers a lot of leveling on a long 5er. If that doesn't work the pin boxes usually have adjustment bolts but talk to the service guys before moving these. It's easy to do but some concerns for moving them from factory settings. With the hitch or the pin adjustments remeber to keep 6" clearance between he top of the bed and the bottom of the 5r overhang. Finally the axles (not for sure on the Eagle) should have adjustment levels on the hangers too to raise and/or lower a nominal amount.

I do agree towing really nose high for long periods, especially with RV tires, can be an issue causing excessive heat and wear to the back axle tires. Blowouts are not fun and usually cause trailer damage too. Consider posting a straight shot from the side and some of the experts (not me) can give you advice if it's too high and maybe some good repair ideas.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #7

At the Dealers

I wish I had taken a Picture its at the dealers now. I have a Lippert Leveling system on it and I am wondering if I raise the axial will it take it high enough that I will have problems with the leveling system.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #8

I know on mine there is a 2nd bolt hole on the shackles, that would give you another inch or so on the trailer side, and if you can drop the hitch an inch as well you'll probably end up OK. And as others have said, watch your bed clearance.

I could probably get mine perfectly level but not w/o reducing my rail clearance to about 4" and that's a little too close I think.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:02 PM   #9

Here's mine. Measured 3 inches different front to back. Tows fine. No obvious additional wear on the rear tires.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0213.jpg  
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #10

When I took mine in for wheel bearing repack I had them jake the RV. It raised about 2.25" and rides level. Had I known at the time I would have also had them install the wet bolt kit.
You'll want to know any effect of changes made on the space above truck bed. Raising the cabin left height over bed the same, vs changing hitch height.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:15 PM   #11

On our 16 Eagle we use two 4x4 on the rear jacks and can get level most anywhere. First we we pull the pins on the front jacks and lower about 6 or 7".
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eagel fifth wheel axial, towing, towing level