Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2020, 07:44 PM   #1

Eagle fifth wheel vents behind the stairs

We keep getting various flying insects in the trailer. Granted most are probably coming in through the front door, it got me looking around at things. In the pass through storage area I noticed the back walls don’t reach the ceiling. They stop at the joists. This leaves a bunch of space from the pass through right out through the stair vents. Seems very inefficient as far as climate control as well. Has anyone blocked the vents? Or do they serve a purpose I’m missing.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:03 PM   #2

I have seen that at one time and I had said that I was going to check it out more but I totally forgot about it, I will be going out to my fiver this week so it will be a good time to look at it again.

I can't think of any other places to look so I will have to do a walk around.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:35 PM   #3

I was amazed at the amount of cold air coming into the living area from the step vents. I boxed the back of the step in and drilled a 5 inch round hole and used a 10 foot length of Foil flex ducting and a 5 inch stick on adapter to the cold air intake on furnace. Fewer bugs and less cold air drifting in from the step. I also was trying to improve the Air conditioning figuring the cold air was dropping out thru step and into basement and down under the floor between coroplast and the floor. I think the trailer is now more consistent. I also added reflectix and a layer of pink fiberglass 4 inch thick from basement to rear bumper between the frame I beams. Sealed up the holes and coroplast to frame with gorilla tape. I stuffed the front bubble behind closet with fiberglass as well. Made a huge difference on temps in bedroom and closet.
Stilled ended up adding the second Air up in bedroom. It now cycles on and off on hot days.
Furnace runs properly and we find the fireplace does heat the place into the low 40s.
YMMV

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:55 PM   #4

That’s awesome. I took a screen shot of all of that. When it cools in the fall I may dive into some of that. Overall, the trailer does well in both high and low temps, but if it could be better I’m all for that.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
I was amazed at the amount of cold air coming into the living area from the step vents. I boxed the back of the step in and drilled a 5 inch round hole and used a 10 foot length of Foil flex ducting and a 5 inch stick on adapter to the cold air intake on furnace. Fewer bugs and less cold air drifting in from the step. I also was trying to improve the Air conditioning figuring the cold air was dropping out thru step and into basement and down under the floor between coroplast and the floor. I think the trailer is now more consistent. I also added reflectix and a layer of pink fiberglass 4 inch thick from basement to rear bumper between the frame I beams. Sealed up the holes and coroplast to frame with gorilla tape. I stuffed the front bubble behind closet with fiberglass as well. Made a huge difference on temps in bedroom and closet.
Stilled ended up adding the second Air up in bedroom. It now cycles on and off on hot days.
Furnace runs properly and we find the fireplace does heat the place into the low 40s.
YMMV

RoadrunnerII
You're Canadian, you're supposed to be used to the cold. Unless you're getting old and weak. Lol! (Just kidding!)
I've never had bugs come thru the vents, but you bring up some good ideas. I've currently got my back basement wall taken out for a couple reasons. One is because the top step HAD a very annoying squeak. The tread was rubbing on the inner wall. I ended up driving a wood wedge from the underside and cut a 1x wood brace and wedge it between the bottom side of the tread and the floor for support and I nailed it to the inner wall. I do like your idea of boxing it off and putting a 5" hole in there for the ventilation. I'd bet that would keep things warmer in the cooler temps and keep the A/C air from dropping back into there. I'm going to do that and see what happens.
I have a 2nd A/C installed in the front bedroom from the factory. Both units work pretty well in the summer. On my list of things to "repair" I started into my A/C vents and ducting. I started in the front bedroom vents and sealed up the gap between the duct and the ceiling panel. My vents have the tall ring installed on them but the stick up into the duct WAY too high so I removed them and have some better air flow. I took down the inner panels of the A/C unit to find the baffle that separates the cold air side from the warm air intake was WAY out of whack. I dont know how it was blowing cold air the way they had it in there. I installed it the right way and sealed up the cold side with heat tape. Much more air flow in there now. I have the one end of the A/C louver open and the other end closed and the 2 round vents open. It cooled the room down from 87 to 79 in 13 minutes. I'm working my way from the front to the back sealing up all the round ceiling vents and I'm going to get on the roof and remove the main A/C unit and take a look at the sealing job and the baffle to see if it needs attention. I have a little expanding foam I need to put in some areas on the underside of the trailer but first I have a plumbing company coming over in a few days to run a camera up the sewer line to the grey tank to take a peek see to see if we can figure out why it drains so slow. Black drains just fine and it's up the line from the grey and the vent is working because I opened the valve gate and used a leaf blower up the sewer pipe into the grey tank and can feel a lot of air coming up thru the vent in the roof.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
YMMV

RoadrunnerII
Roadrunner, you don't happen to have any pics do you?
Old 06-18-2020, 08:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Roadrunner, you don't happen to have any pics do you?
Sorry I don't have pics now. I deleted them.
Might be some in the old post from last year. It was a rat's nest of wires and duct work which I cleaned up as well. If you take this on it is NOT 5 minutes work. I had the trailer in the shed for 2 weeks and I'm retired. I had the coroplast down so made it better! I also added a progressive ems at the time as well

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:28 PM   #8

Wow, okay I guess that this is a job for later then, thank you.