Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2014, 04:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 101 View Post
I used to paint cars and used automotive lacquers, enamels and urethanes and never had a finish, light or dark, oxidize within the first year, let alone three or four years for that matter. My dark gray truck as been sitting outside for three years without a problem except for stone dings and the occasional scratch, none of which are weather related. I would agree with teevman that the paint is of inferior quality or may lack a clear coat.
Obviously automotive paint is superior as is the process. Im not saying it isn't the poor paint or lack of clear coat. Im just saying that with these new dark caps, its happening significantly faster than it did on any of the lighter caps. If you consider all of the manufacturers are having problems with dark caps, and not all of them paint the same material or through the same process then i'd think color has something to do with it because its the common factor. Or unless they all stopped applying CC or stopped using quality paint at the same time.

UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #12

Gel coat issues

The front caps are GEL coated, and yes they have a clear coat from the factory, according to the Jayco Dealer's paint and body shop that painted our 2013 cap. They also said that there are different grades of CLEAR COAT and obviously we can see that the RV industry is not using the top of the line products. He said that it runs about $130 a gallon for the best. They also indicated that there is research showing that Clear Coat should not be applied over a GEL coat, but the jury is still out on that one..

So, if your cap is starting to get a glaze or a HINT of a glaze on the top/upper front, take it to dealer and get the process started before the WARRANTY expires.

One last item, the paint and body shop said that ALL the GEL coat has to be removed down to the fiberglass prior to preparing for paint or you will be in for future issues.

He did say that Jayco is not the only mfr that has this issue.

Don

2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #13

Do they re gel-coat before repainting the cap or is it a different process?
teevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #14

Have the same issue on my 2013 26.5RLS and it's silver not the dark color so they were using crappy product. Jayco already authorized a repaint but it's a pain to have to wait for it and get it in between trips. Have a cracked counter top next to the stove I’m waiting for as well. Other then that it’s been a great rig!
Old 07-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevman View Post
Do they re gel-coat before repainting the cap or is it a different process?
They sand off the gel-coat, prep the fiberglass and paint it (no gel-coat). We decided to have them paint the cap the same color as the sides (color was computer matched).
Don
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #16

Finish is garbage

My unit 375bhfs is less than a year old and the top front is a nightmare. Just finished the first leg (1200Miles) of a 2 month trip and was doing a wash and wax when I got up on the roof and saw it I almost fell over. Nothing helped, not wax or polish the finish is gone. I can't believe that with all the finish products out there this is happening. PS Dark Brown is the color.

Lots of little problems, wire harnes pinched by a screw and shorting out slider motor, Molding falling of, rocking chairs positioned so they ruin the wall (I designed and installed a chair rail for that), a screw popping throught the fiberglass. All this I can live with and fix or have fixed, but this is insanity.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0290.jpg   IMG_0291.jpg   IMG_0293.jpg  

jmj49 is offline   Reply With Quote